Clone wiki

meetings / 130726_webex

Minutes Webex 26 July 2013, 6TSCH group

Note: timestamps in PDT.

Taking notes (using Etherpad)

  1. Xavi Vilajosana
  2. Pouria Zand
  3. Thomas Watteyne

Present (alphabetically)

  1. Alfredo Grieco
  2. Maria Rita Palattella
  3. Pascal Thubert
  4. Pouria Zand
  5. Qin Wang
  6. Rene Struik
  7. Thomas Watteyne
  8. Tom Phinney
  9. Xavi Vilajosana

Recording

Slides

Agenda

  • Administrivia [2min]
    • Approval minutes previous meeting
    • Agenda bashing
  • BoF updates [2min]
    • Reminder dates
    • Applications Area WG meeting
  • Charter discussion [20min]
    • Work Item 2 Rewording
    • Work Item 3 Renaming
    • Security Discussion
    • Mobility Discussion
  • Walk-through BoF slides [30min]
    • Agenda
    • Approval final slides
    • Merged slides format
    • Intro chairs
    • Questions?
  • Agenda pre-BoF meeting [5min]
    • Consensus final slides
    • Consensus merged slides
    • Uploading slides and charter
  • AOB [1min]

Action items

  • Action item: Thomas to announce pre-BoF meeting to the ML
  • Action item: Maria Rita to prepare last version of 2c slides.
  • Action item: Pascal is working on the security item.
  • Action Item: Thomas to push new language to repo, and send notification to ML.
  • Action item: Thomas to create slides to present draft-watteyne-6tsch-tsch-lln-context-02 at pre-BoF meeting
  • Action item: Pascal to create slides to present draft-thubert-6tsch-architecture-02 at pre-BoF meeting
  • Action item: Thomas to announce changes to the agenda to ML.

Minutes

  • [08.01] Meeting starts
    • recording started at 8:01
  • [08.02] Administrivia
    • Approval minutes previous meeting

      No concerns. Minutes approved.

    • Agenda bashing

      No concerns. Agenda approved.

  • [08.05] BoF updates
    • Reminder dates
      • as announced last week, pre-BoF meeting moved to Tuesday 9:30-11:15 in Tegel
      • This meeting does appear in the official agenda
      • Action item: Thomas to announce pre-BoF meeting to the ML
    • Applications Area WG meeting
      • Monday 09.00-11:30
      • Pascal and Thomas will announce BoF there
      • all are welcome
    • BoF Questions:
      • Let's address them at the end of the meeting today
  • [08.07] Charter discussion
    • Work Item 2 Rewording
      • discussion about:
        • rewording work item 2: PCEP only handles a portion what is needed. This makes our work a larger task than required.
        • Work item 2 has been reworked:
          • Requirements and Architecture.
          • traffic from routing layer of the node to the PCE
          • traffic from 6top to the PCE
          • to manage both routes and schedule.
        • new text already in the charter
      • call for consensus

        No concerns raised. Language approved.

      • reword requires to reword 2c slides.
        • Action item: Maria Rita to prepare last version of 2c slides.
        • Action item: Pascal is working on the security item.
    • Work Item 3 Renaming
      • Work item 3 renamed to "6TSCH distributed routes and tracks management" for consistency with name of work item 2.
      • There were some questions on the ML about route management in the distributed case
      • Call for consensus on the new title

        Qin agrees with the explanation given by Pascal on the ML. No further concerns raised. Title approved.

    • Security Discussion
      • Context:
        • security is currently not a numbered work item.
        • Should we make it work item 7?
        • Leave the text as is and post the question in the BoF, Whether it has to be considered an other item or no.
      • [Rene] suggests to add the 7 in front of the work item as it is needed to have the security implications clear.
      • [Pascal] Can Rene prepare a new text to replace slide 15.
      • [Rene] Agrees to send note.
      • [Rene] We need to first come up with a requirements and architecture document before developing a solution.
      • [Thomas] Let's keep the charter text as-is for now, and wait for Rene's input.
      • [Maria Rita] if we define one more work item, then we need to redefine the work items in the slides.
      • [Maria Rita] I'm in favor of adding a 7 in front of the security text.
      • [Rene] If we do that, we need to set the scope of the work item to informational
      • [Thomas] shares his screen and edits the charter. Final text reads:

        7. Produce "6TSCH Security architecture and requirements", and depending on the security requirements identified in the document, the group may work on a security solution and ask for security area review. This document will aim at Informational.

      • [Thomas] Call for consensus on the new language.

        No further concerns raised. New text language.

      • Action Item: Thomas to push new language to repo, and send notification to ML.
    • Mobility Discussion
      • context:
        • should we support mobility in the charter?
        • we have identified 2 scenarios where a small number of nodes can move inside a static network (moving cranes and mobile worker)
        • we want to keep those use cases, but avoid that people think about swarms of mobile robots when hearing mobility
      • [Xavi] Mobility is a strong word and is not the main role of these types of networks. We have to be careful with mobility as this is not the core of that technology.
      • [Pascal] looking for a good term to talk about mobility in the 2c slides.
        • Roaming
        • slow mobility
        • limited mobility
  • Pre-BoF meeting agenda.
    • What do we expect for that pre-BoF?
    • [Pascal] We could have the exact same agenda as in the afternoon, the pre-BoF meeting would a rehearsal.
    • [Pascal] We need to leave at 11.15 sharp
    • [Pascal] Still leaves us with 1h45, so enough time to go through the complete BoF material
    • [Pascal] We can present the drafts during the pre-BoF meeting
  • [08.41] Walk-through BoF slides
    • Changes to the Agenda
      • we need more time for open discussions and questions
      • proposal: move part 3 to the morning. Keep rest of time for open discussions and questions.
      • draft presentations will be in the morning out of an "official" session
      • also recall two extra drafts in the morning. Present all 6 drafts
      • Action item: Thomas to create slides to present draft-watteyne-6tsch-tsch-lln-context-02 at pre-BoF meeting
      • Action item: Pascal to create slides to present draft-thubert-6tsch-architecture-02 at pre-BoF meeting
      • Action item: Thomas to announce changes to the agenda to ML.
    • Approval final slides
      • Almost all slides are final.
      • [Pascal] How to we handle questions during the BoF, we need to be clear.
      • [Thomas] Proposal:
        • at opening of BoF, chairs announce that only clarifying questions (no discussion) will be taken during presentation part (first hour).
        • BoF questions are shown during the presentations to allow people to reflect, but no discussion yet
        • after presentation, open mic for 20-25min
        • when discussion over, or we run out of time, questions will be asked to the audience. Last slides contains all questions.
    • Proposed questions:
      • is this a topic that the IETF should address?
      • are the goals of this WG clear, well-scoped, solvable, and useful?
      • how many people are willing to edit documents, comment documents, implement?
      • should a 6TSCH working group be formed?
      • should a 6TSCH working group NOT be formed?
  • [09.08] AOB
    • [Rene] During the BoF, it would be good to meet with the right people of other working groups (e.g. DICE, CORE) to discuss the possibility of a security solution which reuses as much as possible. That is, avoid to have to implement a completely different security solution for the different protocols in the protocol stack.
    • [Thomas] Good idea. Confirm that this is a "task" rather than an item for the BoF.
    • [Rene] yes.
  • [09.12] Meeting ends

Updated