1. 6tisch
  2. Untitled project
  3. meetings

Wiki

Clone wiki

meetings / 131025_webex

Minutes Webex 25 October 2013, 6TiSCH WG

Note: timestamps in PDT.

Taking notes (using Etherpad)

  1. Xavi Vilajosana
  2. Thomas Watteyne

Present (alphabetically)

  1. Thomas Watteyne
  2. Pascal Thubert
  3. Diego Dujovne
  4. Elvis Vogli
  5. Giuseppe Piro
  6. Guillaume Gaillard
  7. Maria Rita Palattella
  8. Nicola Accettura
  9. Oleg Hahm
  10. Patrick Wetterwald
  11. Pouria Zand
  12. Qin Wang
  13. Raghuram Sudhaakar
  14. Rouhollah Nabati
  15. Subir Das
  16. Tina Tsou
  17. Tom Phinney
  18. Xavi Vilajosana
  19. Yoshihiro Ohba

Recording

Slides

Action Items

  • Thomas to update agenda and upload.
  • Xavi and Qin to prepare slides about <draft-wang-6tisch-6top-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.
  • Pouria and Raghuram to prepare slides about <draft-sudhaakar-6tisch-coap-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.
  • Xavi to prepare slides about <draft-vilajosana-6tisch-minimal-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.
  • Yoshihiro to prepare slides about <draft-ohba-6tisch-security-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.
  • Diego to prepare 1-3 slides about OTF scheduling. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.
  • Giuseppe to prepare 1-3 slides about <draft-piro-6tisch-security-issues-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.
  • Discuss YANG at next webex. Volunteers?

Agenda

  • Administrivia [3min]
    • Approval agenda
    • Approval minutes last call
  • IETF 88 Vancouver [10min]
    • Agenda and speakers
    • slides
  • draft-sudhaakar-6tisch-coap-00 [15min] [Raghuram,Pouria]
  • Slot allocation principles [15min] [Pascal]
  • draft-piro-6tisch-security-issues-00 [15min] [Giuseppe]
    • overview
    • position wrt draft-ohba-6tisch-security-00
  • AOB [2min]

Minutes

  • [08.04] Meeting starts
    • Agenda was changed to promote the security issues draft
    • We'll also talk about the agenda for the IETF
  • [08.05] Administrivia
    • Agenda

      No issues raised. Agenda approved.

    • Approval minutes last call

      No issues raised. Minutes approved.

    • IETF 88: deadline early bird registration today! *[08.07] IETF 88 Vancouver
    • IETF 88 agenda published at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/88/agenda/6tisch/.
    • Need finalization by next Monday 10/28 24:00 UTC.
    • We need agree on the speakers.
    • Objective today is to agree on the agenda:
      • Goals:
        • go through the drafts
        • ask community for opinion and feedback on directions we are taking
    • <draft-wang-6tisch-6top-00>:
      • **[Xavi,Qin] Will be presented by Xavi.

        Action item: Thomas to update agenda and upload. Action item: Xavi and Qin to prepare slides about <draft-wang-6tisch-6top-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.

    • <draft-sudhaakar-6tisch-coap-00>
      • **[Raghuram,Pouria] Will be presented by Pouria.

        Action item: Thomas to update agenda and upload. Action item: Pouria and Raghuram to prepare slides about <draft-sudhaakar-6tisch-coap-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.

    • <draft-vilajosana-6tisch-minimal-00>
      • Presented by Xavi.

        Action item: Xavi to prepare slides about <draft-vilajosana-6tisch-minimal-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.

    • <draft-ohba-6tisch-security-00>
      • Presented by Yoshihiro.

        Action item: Yoshihiro to prepare slides about <draft-ohba-6tisch-security-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.

    • <draft-dujovne-6tisch-on-the-fly-00>
      • [Diego] OTF scheduling, no authors will attend IETF 88. Discussion on slot allocation principles would be a good starting point.
      • [Pascal] Still very good to discuss about that. Can you prepare 1-3 slides about this topic?
      • [Diego] Yes.

        Action item: Diego to prepare 1-3 slides about OTF scheduling. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT.

    • <draft-piro-6tisch-security-issues-00>
      • [Giuseppe] Same situation.
      • [Thomas] Can you prepare slides?
      • [Giuseppe] Yes.

        Action item: Giuseppe to prepare 1-3 slides about <draft-piro-6tisch-security-issues-00>. Send to ML by Thu 10/31 Noon PDT. *[08.17] draft-sudhaakar-6tisch-coap-00

    • Published version at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sudhaakar-6tisch-coap-00,
    • Issue tracking at https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/draft-sudhaakar-6tisch-coap/issues?status=new&status=open
    • overview
      • section on data model needs to be added.
      • Section 4 is an abstraction of the data models (generic)
      • Discussion about why only POST: POST is more flexible as it provides detailed payloads in ABNF form.
      • [Pascal] suggest to integrate or add content on data model, how to present it in the end framework.
    • ideas for Section 4 "Generic Data Model"
      • Move Section on Generic Data Model to 6top draft?
      • Informational and Data models are more generic concepts.
      • Jonathan Simon pointed out that the 6top draft should contain a more specific mapping of the 6top commands to the TSCH MLME.
      • 6top offers a number of commands. We could express the list of commands in a formal way. Then derive multiple mechanisms using the model.
      • The "CoAP draft" should focus only on how do we turn the model into CoAP and CBOR.
      • The same can be done with IEs being derived from the set of commands.
      • [Qin] it seems a good idea as we need formal ways to express that.
      • [Qin] YANG model: get feeling if it would make sense to use it to express the generic model.

        Action item: Discuss YANG at next webex. Volunteers?

      • [Pascal]
        • One of the most important questions is the use of YANG.
        • 6top draft should have a generic description of interfaces to 6top. External view of 6top.
        • We don't want to look at the communication between 6top and 6top as we are not charted for that.
      • Discuss what authors have in mind w.r.t 6top draft *[08.34] draft-piro-6tisch-security-issues-00 [Giuseppe]
    • latest publication at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-piro-6tisch-security-issues-00
    • authors: Giuseppe Piro, Gennaro Boggia, Alfredo Grieco
    • provide security features: confidentiality, data integrity to upper layer.
    • 5 different security configurations
    • domain:
      • Secure domain (portion of the LLN) where we can configure the security services
      • FFD and RDF devices
      • Secure domain is composed of 1 FFD and several RDF
      • secure features should be implemented at each broadcast domain
    • configurations
      • unsecured: no security - no data confidentiality.
      • partially secured: integrity check of all messages is implemented. All packets are sent in the clear (not encrypted)
      • fully secured: confidentiality for all messages.
      • hybrid:network is heterogeneous
      • flexible: fully secured from the beginning. Can go to hybrid that does not support security capabilities.
    • 3 Phases:
      • how to configure a secure domain:
      • example fully secure configuration:
        • setup phase: used to install all security parameters to nodes. Performed by manufacturer or network administrator. Done before deployment.
        • bootstrap phase: Nodes join to the network. Bootstrap procedures for FFD and RFD, for both beacon and not beacon enabled procedures. During the bootstrap phase, nodes configure the network key, D_K = Hash_128(PANID|Masterkey)
        • key negotiation phase: two devices negotiate an L-Key to protect unicast messages between them.
          • New MAC command frame.
          • Flow RFD to FFD
            • first phase uses default key to compute the linkKey (specific)
            • next messages use linkKey.
    • position wrt draft-ohba-6tisch-security-00
      • they are inline
      • complementary approach
      • definition of phases
      • draft-ohba focuses on node authentication issues; requirements.
      • draft-piro focuses in other security issues; simple approach to generate keys.
    • discussion
      • [Thomas] how do FFD and RFD map to 15.4e nodes?
      • [Giuseppe] FFD and RFD are abstract concepts, in 15.4e a device can be FFD with respect to some nodes and RFD w.r.t others.
      • [Thomas] how this 5 secured modes translate to CCM*
      • [Giuseppe] One level above CCM*. how to exchange keys.
      • [Thomas] is this 6TiSCH specific? or LLN specific?
      • [Giuseppe] LLN specific.
      • [Pascal] work goes at IETF or IEEE? seems more IEEE as it involves MAC layer.
      • [Subir] same feeling with Pascal.
  • [09.00] Slot allocations principles

    By lack of time, let's discuss next week and at IETF88

  • AOB
    • [Xavi] OpenWSN now implements minimal draft. Interest for having a short overview of OpenWSN at IETF88 and how it works? Nothing formal.
  • [09.06] Meeting ends

Updated