Clone wiki

meetings / 180718_ietf102_montreal

Minutes, IETF 102 6TiSCH WG Meeting

Note: these minutes are formatted using Markdown.

Agenda and Meeting Information

Meeting        :   IETF 102 Wednesday 18 July 2018
Time           :   13:30-15:00 Montreal Time Afternoon session I (90min)
Location       :   Duluth Room, Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, Montreal
Agenda         :   https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/agenda-102-6tisch
Meeting Slides :   https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials.html
Etherpad       :   http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org/p/notes-ietf-102-6tisch?useMonospaceFont=true 
Meetecho       :   http://www.meetecho.com/ietf102/6tisch/ 
Audio stream   :   http://ietf102streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf1022.m3u 

Chairs         :   Pascal Thubert <pthubert@cisco.com>
                   Thomas Watteyne <thomas.watteyne@inria.fr>
Responsible AD :   Suresh Krishnan

WG URLs        :   http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6tisch/
                   https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/6tisch/
                   https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch
                   https://bitbucket.org/6tisch

 Intro and Status
    * Note-Well, Blue Sheets, Scribes, Agenda Bashing
    * Status of the work, link with other WGs                  
    * 6TiSCH Interop event 26-27 of June in Paris               [10min]
      (chairs)

 Chartered items

    * draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12                        [5min]    13.40
      (Xavi Vilajosana, remote)
      goal:  IESG LC status

    * draft-chang-6tisch-msf-02                                 [10min]   13.45
      (Tengfei Chang or Simon Duquennoy)
      goal: prepare for WG adoption

    * draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06                     [25min]   13.55
      (Malisa Vucinic, remote)
      goal: present changes in -06 and discuss WGLC comments

    * draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join-02            [10min]   14.20
      (Michael Richardson)
      goal: progress status

    * draft-richardson-6tisch-enrollment-enhanced-beacon-00     [10min]  14.30
      (Michael Richardson)
      goal: call for adoption

 Unchartered items, time permitting

    * draft-vilajosana-6tisch-globaltime-01                      [5min]  14.40
      (Xavi Vilajosana)
      goal: discuss interaction with minimal security

    * draft-munoz-6tisch-multiple-phys                           [5min] 14.45
      (Jonathan Munoz)
      goal: info

    * retransmission algorithm IEEE 802.15.4-2015                [5min] 14.50
      (Yasuyuki Tanaka)
      goal: information sharing

    * status of the 6lo fragmentation design team (Thomas)       [5min] 14.55

    * AOB                                                          [QS] 14.00

 Total scheduled time                                          90/90min

Volunteers

  • notetaker 1: Simon Duquennoy
  • notetaker 2: Yasuyuki Tanaka
  • Jabber scribe: Rahul Jadhav

Action items

  • chairs to open a 1-week WG adoption call for draft-chang-6tisch-msf.
  • Malisa Vucinic to keep the group informed on CoAP proxy resolution meeting/102/materials
  • Michael Richardson to publish new IETF -00 version of draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join.
  • chairs to announce adoption of extended beacon draft

Summary

(This summary is also posted in the INT area wiki, https://trac.ietf.org/trac/int/wiki/IETF102)

During IETF102, the 6TiSCH WG had one WG meeting and 2 side meetings

The WG meeting covered 7 drafts, one presentation was done without a draft:

  • draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12 is in IESG LC. The authors produced version -12 to answers all comments.
  • draft-chang-6tisch-msf-02 now integrates the mechanisms from draft-duquennoy-6tisch-asf. A 1-week WG adoption call was started, finishing on 25 July 2018. The draft's state is now "Candidate for WG Adoption: Proposed Standard"
  • draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06 triggered the most discussion in the session. The draft, for was in WGLC for 2 weeks, triggered 7 reviews. The editor of the draft detailed those and detailed how he would address those. WG state changed to "In WG Last Call" with tag "Revised I-D Needed - Issue raised by WGLC".
  • draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join was presented briefly by Pascal Thubert in the absence of the editor.
  • draft-richardson-6tisch-enrollment-enhanced-beacon was presented by Pascal Thubert in the absence of the editor. A 2-week call for adoption was concluded mid-June with no objections. This document is now adopted by the WG.
  • progress on draft-vilajosana-6tisch-globaltime was presented. Some technical discussions. No action from the WG at this point.
  • new draft draft-munoz-6tisch-multiple-phys was presented on generalizing 6TiSCH to multiple PHYs. No action from the WG at this point.
  • A technical "liaison" presentation to highlight some inconsistencies/remarks in the IEEE802.15.4 standard.

Two side meetings took place about the Stateless-Proxy CoAP option draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06 proposes. Discussions involved the main contributors as well as CORE and 6TiSCH chairs. An agreement was reaching on how to move forward.

Miscellaneous: * Because of a last-minute plane cancellation, Thomas Watteyne co-chair remotely; Pascal Thubert was in the room.

Minutes

  • [13:31] Meeting starts
    • WG co-chair Thomas Watteyne is remote (plane canceled)
    • Note-Well, Scribes
    • Agenda: flexible time for Malisa
    • Status of the work, link with other WGs
      • 6TiSCH is closely linked to 6lo, ROLL, CoRE
    • OpenWSN release 1.14.0 (http://openwsn.org)
    • F-Interop 6TiSCH Test Suite release 1.0.0 (http://f-interop.eu/)
    • 2nd F-Interop 6TiSCH Interop Event (June, Paris)
  • [13:40] draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12 (Xavi Vilajosana)
    • goal: status update, check if the draft should move on
    • [Pascal] it is now in the hands of IESG
    • no particular action asked to WG
  • [13:42] draft-chang-6tisch-msf-02 (Simon Duquennoy)
    • ASF is merged into MSF (draft-02)
    • Three types of cells: the minimal cell, autonomous cells, "dedicated" cells
    • Autonomous cells are allocated based on EUI64 address
    • Boot sequence is changed (See Section 4)
    • "Pending bit" is used to handle traffic bursts
    • [Pascal] if no ACK is received?
    • [Simon] the stream ends
    • [Thomas] now, it's ready for the adoption process?
    • [Pascal] after one week window to discuss, start the process (on ML)

      Action item: chairs to open a 1-week WG adoption call for draft-chang-6tisch-msf.

  • [13:53] draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06 (Malisa Vucinic)
    • implemented in OpenWSN, which works with an implementation based on Contiki OS at the Interop event
    • 7 reviews were received from WGLC
    • the global time draft by Xavi extends a format defined in the minimal security
    • CBOR structures were optimized for overhead
    • [Tero] do we want to support other modes of keying?
    • [Malisa] initial intention: map the structure on what 15.4 defines
    • [Malisa] we can add a new struct to accommodate for special cases, but let's keep the current struct as is, as they optimize for the most common case
    • (will continue this discussion on ML)
    • Added support for 6LBR pledge
    • Rekeying in order to update keying params at runtime
    • [Thomas] in IETF 101 we decided to explore the option of using FETCH. Outcome?
    • [Malisa] correct, but there were issues, proposed solution now is to expose /j
    • Working Group Last Call review
    • [WGLC comments 1/10]
      • Working with CoRE WG to explore the best solution for Stateless-Proxy
    • [WGLC comments 2/10]
      • [Tero] JP might want to have a blacklist to prevent unwanted traffic from unauthorized/joining nodes
      • [Pascal] It could be done internally
      • [Malisa] decision whether to blacklist or not should be done centrally, i.e., at JRC not JP
      • [Thomas] is this mechanism or policy?
      • [Thomas] extensions proposed by Malisa really are extensions. The draft can move forward without them.
    • [WGLC comments 7/10]
      • Nonce re-use issue. Will resolve on ML
      • Jim: came up with an idea; will share it on ML
    • [WGLC comments 8/10]
      • It's about a very specific use-case
      • we don't need to take this into account with this draft
  • [14:39] draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join-02 (Pascal Thubert, on behalf of Michael Richardson)
    • explains the current status briefly
  • [14:41] draft-richardson-6tisch-enrollment-enhanced-beacon-00 (Pascal Thubert, on behalf of Michael Richardson)
    • call for adoption was mid-June, no objection
    • draft it is adopted now

      Action item: Michael Richardson to publish new IETF -00 version of draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join.

  • [14:43] draft-vilajosana-6tisch-globaltime-01 (Xavi Vilajosana)
    • [Pascal] is there any dependency on -minimal?
    • [Xavi] there is
    • Will discuss how JRC can map ASN and the global time in a future 6TiSCH meeting
  • [14:47] draft-munoz-6tisch-multiple-phys (Jonathan Munoz)
    • problem statement draft: how should a mote handle multiple PHYs?
    • notion of neighbor changes depending on PHY
    • timeslot duration varies depending on PHY
    • also channels, datarates etc. vary
  • [14:54] retransmission algorithm IEEE 802.15.4-2015 (Yasuyuki Tanaka)
    • report on ML discussion on IEEE 802.15.4 retransmission algo
    • 802.15.4md group is currently revising 802.15.4
    • [Tero] plan for IEEE is to have this out by 2020
    • [Thomas] process to get comments in?
    • [Tero] maybe some formal process, not sure. In any case, send comments in to me, will put them in.
  • [14:58] status of the 6lo fragmentation design team (Thomas)
    • no time
  • [14:59] Any other business?
    • no other business raised
  • [14:59] Meeting ends

Updated