Minutes, IETF 102 6TiSCH WG Meeting
Note: these minutes are formatted using Markdown.
Agenda and Meeting Information
Meeting : IETF 102 Wednesday 18 July 2018 Time : 13:30-15:00 Montreal Time Afternoon session I (90min) Location : Duluth Room, Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, Montreal Agenda : https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/agenda-102-6tisch Meeting Slides : https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials.html Etherpad : http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org/p/notes-ietf-102-6tisch?useMonospaceFont=true Meetecho : http://www.meetecho.com/ietf102/6tisch/ Audio stream : http://ietf102streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf1022.m3u Chairs : Pascal Thubert <firstname.lastname@example.org> Thomas Watteyne <email@example.com> Responsible AD : Suresh Krishnan WG URLs : http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6tisch/ https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/6tisch/ https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch https://bitbucket.org/6tisch Intro and Status * Note-Well, Blue Sheets, Scribes, Agenda Bashing * Status of the work, link with other WGs * 6TiSCH Interop event 26-27 of June in Paris [10min] (chairs) Chartered items * draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12 [5min] 13.40 (Xavi Vilajosana, remote) goal: IESG LC status * draft-chang-6tisch-msf-02 [10min] 13.45 (Tengfei Chang or Simon Duquennoy) goal: prepare for WG adoption * draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06 [25min] 13.55 (Malisa Vucinic, remote) goal: present changes in -06 and discuss WGLC comments * draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join-02 [10min] 14.20 (Michael Richardson) goal: progress status * draft-richardson-6tisch-enrollment-enhanced-beacon-00 [10min] 14.30 (Michael Richardson) goal: call for adoption Unchartered items, time permitting * draft-vilajosana-6tisch-globaltime-01 [5min] 14.40 (Xavi Vilajosana) goal: discuss interaction with minimal security * draft-munoz-6tisch-multiple-phys [5min] 14.45 (Jonathan Munoz) goal: info * retransmission algorithm IEEE 802.15.4-2015 [5min] 14.50 (Yasuyuki Tanaka) goal: information sharing * status of the 6lo fragmentation design team (Thomas) [5min] 14.55 * AOB [QS] 14.00 Total scheduled time 90/90min
- notetaker 1: Simon Duquennoy
- notetaker 2: Yasuyuki Tanaka
- Jabber scribe: Rahul Jadhav
- chairs to open a 1-week WG adoption call for draft-chang-6tisch-msf.
- Malisa Vucinic to keep the group informed on CoAP proxy resolution meeting/102/materials
- Michael Richardson to publish new IETF -00 version of draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join.
- chairs to announce adoption of extended beacon draft
(This summary is also posted in the INT area wiki, https://trac.ietf.org/trac/int/wiki/IETF102)
During IETF102, the 6TiSCH WG had one WG meeting and 2 side meetings
The WG meeting covered 7 drafts, one presentation was done without a draft:
draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12is in IESG LC. The authors produced version -12 to answers all comments.
draft-chang-6tisch-msf-02now integrates the mechanisms from
draft-duquennoy-6tisch-asf. A 1-week WG adoption call was started, finishing on 25 July 2018. The draft's state is now "Candidate for WG Adoption: Proposed Standard"
draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06triggered the most discussion in the session. The draft, for was in WGLC for 2 weeks, triggered 7 reviews. The editor of the draft detailed those and detailed how he would address those. WG state changed to "In WG Last Call" with tag "Revised I-D Needed - Issue raised by WGLC".
draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-joinwas presented briefly by Pascal Thubert in the absence of the editor.
draft-richardson-6tisch-enrollment-enhanced-beaconwas presented by Pascal Thubert in the absence of the editor. A 2-week call for adoption was concluded mid-June with no objections. This document is now adopted by the WG.
- progress on
draft-vilajosana-6tisch-globaltimewas presented. Some technical discussions. No action from the WG at this point.
- new draft
draft-munoz-6tisch-multiple-physwas presented on generalizing 6TiSCH to multiple PHYs. No action from the WG at this point.
- A technical "liaison" presentation to highlight some inconsistencies/remarks in the IEEE802.15.4 standard.
Two side meetings took place about the Stateless-Proxy CoAP option
draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06 proposes. Discussions involved the main contributors as well as CORE and 6TiSCH chairs. An agreement was reaching on how to move forward.
Miscellaneous: * Because of a last-minute plane cancellation, Thomas Watteyne co-chair remotely; Pascal Thubert was in the room.
- [13:31] Meeting starts
- WG co-chair Thomas Watteyne is remote (plane canceled)
- Note-Well, Scribes
- Agenda: flexible time for Malisa
- Status of the work, link with other WGs
- 6TiSCH is closely linked to 6lo, ROLL, CoRE
- OpenWSN release 1.14.0 (http://openwsn.org)
- F-Interop 6TiSCH Test Suite release 1.0.0 (http://f-interop.eu/)
- 2nd F-Interop 6TiSCH Interop Event (June, Paris)
- [13:40] draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12 (Xavi Vilajosana)
- goal: status update, check if the draft should move on
- [Pascal] it is now in the hands of IESG
- no particular action asked to WG
- [13:42] draft-chang-6tisch-msf-02 (Simon Duquennoy)
- ASF is merged into MSF (draft-02)
- Three types of cells: the minimal cell, autonomous cells, "dedicated" cells
- Autonomous cells are allocated based on EUI64 address
- Boot sequence is changed (See Section 4)
- "Pending bit" is used to handle traffic bursts
- [Pascal] if no ACK is received?
- [Simon] the stream ends
- [Thomas] now, it's ready for the adoption process?
- [Pascal] after one week window to discuss, start the process (on ML)
Action item: chairs to open a 1-week WG adoption call for draft-chang-6tisch-msf.
- [13:53] draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-06 (Malisa Vucinic)
- implemented in OpenWSN, which works with an implementation based on Contiki OS at the Interop event
- 7 reviews were received from WGLC
- the global time draft by Xavi extends a format defined in the minimal security
- CBOR structures were optimized for overhead
- [Tero] do we want to support other modes of keying?
- [Malisa] initial intention: map the structure on what 15.4 defines
- [Malisa] we can add a new struct to accommodate for special cases, but let's keep the current struct as is, as they optimize for the most common case
- (will continue this discussion on ML)
- Added support for 6LBR pledge
- Rekeying in order to update keying params at runtime
- [Thomas] in IETF 101 we decided to explore the option of using FETCH. Outcome?
- [Malisa] correct, but there were issues, proposed solution now is to expose /j
- Working Group Last Call review
- [WGLC comments 1/10]
- Working with CoRE WG to explore the best solution for Stateless-Proxy
- [WGLC comments 2/10]
- [Tero] JP might want to have a blacklist to prevent unwanted traffic from unauthorized/joining nodes
- [Pascal] It could be done internally
- [Malisa] decision whether to blacklist or not should be done centrally, i.e., at JRC not JP
- [Thomas] is this mechanism or policy?
- [Thomas] extensions proposed by Malisa really are extensions. The draft can move forward without them.
- [WGLC comments 7/10]
- Nonce re-use issue. Will resolve on ML
- Jim: came up with an idea; will share it on ML
- [WGLC comments 8/10]
- It's about a very specific use-case
- we don't need to take this into account with this draft
- [14:39] draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join-02 (Pascal Thubert, on behalf of Michael Richardson)
- explains the current status briefly
- [14:41] draft-richardson-6tisch-enrollment-enhanced-beacon-00 (Pascal Thubert, on behalf of Michael Richardson)
- call for adoption was mid-June, no objection
- draft it is adopted now
Action item: Michael Richardson to publish new IETF -00 version of draft-ietf-6tisch-dtsecurity-zerotouch-join.
- [14:43] draft-vilajosana-6tisch-globaltime-01 (Xavi Vilajosana)
- [Pascal] is there any dependency on -minimal?
- [Xavi] there is
- Will discuss how JRC can map ASN and the global time in a future 6TiSCH meeting
- [14:47] draft-munoz-6tisch-multiple-phys (Jonathan Munoz)
- problem statement draft: how should a mote handle multiple PHYs?
- notion of neighbor changes depending on PHY
- timeslot duration varies depending on PHY
- also channels, datarates etc. vary
- [14:54] retransmission algorithm IEEE 802.15.4-2015 (Yasuyuki Tanaka)
- report on ML discussion on IEEE 802.15.4 retransmission algo
- 802.15.4md group is currently revising 802.15.4
- [Tero] plan for IEEE is to have this out by 2020
- [Thomas] process to get comments in?
- [Tero] maybe some formal process, not sure. In any case, send comments in to me, will put them in.
- [14:58] status of the 6lo fragmentation design team (Thomas)
- no time
- [14:59] Any other business?
- no other business raised
- [14:59] Meeting ends