PsychicRobot is a Windows PowerShell 2.0 module that allows system administrators to work with Windows Update from the command line. It uses the Windows Update Agent API to communicate with Windows Update to search, download, and install system updates.
The following operating systems are supported (same as for PowerShell 2.0 itself):
- Windows XP with Service Pack 3
- Windows Vista with Service Pack 1
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2008 R2
You will need to ensure the following prerequisites are installed first:
To install PsychicRobot, simply run the appropriate Windows Installer Package (MSI) for your platform.
PsychicRobot provides a Windows PowerShell 2.0 module named WindowsUpdates. To begin using PsychicRobot, first import that module into a session using Import-Module.
The WindowsUpdates module provides three cmdlets:
- Get-WindowsUpdate --- Search for Windows Updates and return metadata
- Set-WindowsUpdate --- Change properties for Windows Update metadata (currently only accept End User License Agreement)
- Install-WindowsUpdate --- Download and install Windows Updates
These cmdlets are designed to take full advantage of the PowerShell pipeline, so you can pipe the output from one cmdlet directly to the input of another:
Get-WindowsUpdate | Set-WindowsUpdate -AcceptEula -PassThru | Install-WindowsUpdate
For more information about each cmdlet, refer to the built-in PowerShell help system: