FolderBackup Script - README
The FolderBackup script (Bash) copies the specified directories into a compressed tar file (tar.gz) and sends an email notification with a download link for the backup file. Now the script can also mount a NAS drive/directory (CIFS) and copy the backup files to this drive/directory.
- Install the software packages sendemail, libnet-ssleay-perl and libio-socket-ssl-perl.
- You can use the command: apt-get install sendemail libnet-ssleay-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl
- Copy the backup script folder_backup.sh to your computer.
- Make the backup script executable: chmod +x folder_backup.sh.
- Edit the configuration part of the folder_backup.sh script.
- Open the two firewall ports needed for file access (445) and for sending email (587).
- Be sure to NOT open the port 445 to the WAN or another untrusted network!!!!
- Start the backup script from the command prompt: ./folder_backup.sh
- Check if the backups are created and a notification was sent by email.
This is a free tool and support is not included and guaranteed. Nevertheless I will try to answer all your questions if possible. So write to my email address biegel[at]gmx.ch if you have a question :-)