RBDL - Rigid Body Dynamics Library Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Martin Felis firstname.lastname@example.org
The RBDL is a highly efficient C++ library that contains some essential rigid body dynamics algorithms such as the Articulated Body Algorithm (ABA) for forward dynamics, Newton-Euler Algorithm for inverse dynamics and the Composite Rigid Body Algorithm (CRBA) for the efficient computation of the joint space inertia matrix. It further contains code for forward and inverse kinematics and handling of external constraints such as contacts and collisions.
The code was written by Martin Felis email@example.com and tightly follows the notation used in Roy Featherstone''s book "Rigid Body Dynamics Algorithm".
- 20 February 2013: removed too specialized RigidBodyDynamics::Body constructor (API version 1.1.0)
- 29 January 2013: added code for api_version_checking. Current API version is 1.0.0.
- 29 January 2013: added code for api_version_checking
- 18 June 2012: added support of luamodel_introduction
- 01 June 2012: added support of joint_models_fixed
- 14 May 2012: fixed Body constructor as reported by Maxime Reis
- 04 April 2012: added benchmark tool for CRBA
- 01 March 2012: added multi degree of freedom joint_models
- 06 Februry 2012: restructured constraint handling using RigidBodyDynamics::ConstraintSet
- 24 January 2012: implemented compact and fast representation of RigidBodyDynamics::Math::SpatialTransform
The documentation is contained in the code and can be extracted with the tool doxygen.
To create the documentation simply run
which will generate the documentation in the subdirectory ./doc/html. The main page will then be located in ./doc/html/index.html.
An online version of the generated documentation can be found at http://rbdl.bitbucket.org.
The latest stable code can be obtained from
The official mercurial repository can be cloned from
(See http://mercurial.selenic.com/ for mercurial clients.)
Building and Installation
The RBDL is built using CMake (http://www.cmake.org). To compile the library in a separate directory in Release mode use:
mkdir build cd build/ cmake ../ -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release make
The library is published under the very permissive zlib free software license which should allow you to use the software wherever you need.
This is the full license text (zlib license):
RBDL - Rigid Body Dynamics Library Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Martin Felis <firstname.lastname@example.org> This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions: 1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required. 2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software. 3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
Please note that this library also comes with the Eigen3 library which is primarily licensed under the MPL2 license. More information about these can be found at: