EmeraldTree, a light-weight toolkit for XML processing in Python
- EmeraldTree is a fork of ElementTree - the main differences are:
It has a slightly different API: * Handling of text: it uses unicode objects as children (not as
"tail" attributes of the elements)
API cleanups, removing backward compatibility
Better unicode support
Other improvements / optimizations
The fork happened at ElementTree 1.3a3-20070912-preview, for more details please see the EmeraldTree repository:
Please note: EmeraldTree works with Python 2.4 (or later).
Changes are (c) by their authors (see also source files) and licensed under the same Python (MIT style) license as ElementTree (see below):
- Bastian Blank <email@example.com>
Here is the original README contents of ElementTree:
The elementtree library
This kit contains the ElementTree library, a light-weight toolkit for XML processing in Python.
For more information on this library, see:
The 1.3 release is designed to work with Python 2.2 and newer. If you need support for earlier Python releases, use ElementTree 1.2.6.
This is release 1.3 alpha 3 of the ElementTree library.
For a list of changes in this release, see the CHANGES document.
The latest version of this library can be downloaded from:
Comments, bug reports, and patches are welcome. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that this is free software, with limited support. If you need commercial support on this module, contact email@example.com.
README This file
CHANGES List of changes in this release.
- ElementTree.py Element tree implementation. For a minimal
- install, this file is all you need.
- ElementPath.py Element path support module. Adds limited
- XPath support to find/findtext/findall.
- ElementInclude.py Element include support module. Adds limited
- XInclude support.
- HTMLTreeBuilder.py Element tree builder for HTML. This only
- works for mostly well-formed HTML; if you need something that can parse arbitrary HTML at least as good as your browser, use TidyHTMLTreeBuilder or TidyTools (see below).
- TidyHTMLTreeBuilder.py Element tree builder for HTML, based on the
- tidylib library. This tree builder requires the _elementtidy extension module (available from http://effbot.org/downloads).
SimpleXMLWriter.py Simple XML writer
- TidyTools.py Build element trees from HTML, using the
- external 'tidy' utility.
setup.py Build/installation script
docs/index.html API reference pages. docs/*
demo*.py Sample scripts samples/* Sample data
selftest.py Selftest (requires Python 2.1 or later) tidytest.py Selftest for TidyHTMLTreeBuilder components.
benchmark.py Benchmark script (usage: benchmark.py file)
The ElementTree Library is
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 by Secret Labs AB Copyright (c) 1999-2007 by Fredrik Lundh
By obtaining, using, and/or copying this software and/or its associated documentation, you agree that you have read, understood, and will comply with the following terms and conditions:
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its associated documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies, and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of Secret Labs AB or the author not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.
SECRET LABS AB AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL SECRET LABS AB OR THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE. --------------------------------------------------------------------