.app files are not supported anymore

Issue #1625 resolved
Jacek Urbanowski created an issue

Hi, it seems like aura application .app files are not supported anymore. The color scheme is not applied at all, there is no possibility to navigate using f4 shortcut to elements included in .app files, code completion as well as integrated API documentation are out of order. I didn’t notice such an inconvenience with any other metadata type. My colleague faces the same issue. She uses Intellij Comunity + IC2 while my configuration is Webstorm with IC2.

Comments (11)

  1. Scott Wells repo owner

    There's no distinct file type association for *.app because Salesforce overloaded that extension for both CustomApplication (in metadata format projects) and Aura application bundles. As a result, IC derives the file type dynamically. This can get into a weird state if a concrete file type association is created for that extension. The workaround is to force IC to re-detect the file type associations. Try the following and let me know if it doesn't work for you:

    1. Open Settings/Preferences>Editor>File Types, scroll to HTML, and add *.app as a registered pattern.
    2. Click Apply.
    3. Remove *.app as a registered pattern.
    4. Click OK.

    That should fix it. It's unfortunate that this is required, but the overloading of that extension requires it.

  2. Scott Wells repo owner

    I'm going to resolve this, but if the provided steps do not fix the issue for you, please reopen and let me know so I can help figure out what's going on.

  3. Scott Wells repo owner

    Glad that did it! Sorry for the temporary issue, but unfortunately it's the nature of the beast given the overloaded file extension.

  4. Jacek Urbanowski reporter

    @Scott Wells One more question. Do I have to repeat that operation every day? Yesterday, when the fix helped, I noticed that I had to apply it for each project but after the restart of IDE, everything was fine. Unfortunately, today morning code in aura .app was again grayed out and I had to repeat the fix, although I already did it yesterday for the specific project.

  5. Scott Wells repo owner

    I've confirmed that there's something wrong happening here, and it seems that it's a recent regression in the way that the JetBrains IDEs invoke these dynamic file type detectors. I'm speaking with JetBrains about it now. Hopefully there will be some kind of workaround until a true fix can be produced. I'll post updates here as they're available.

  6. Scott Wells repo owner

    Yup, seems quite broken. JetBrains has asked me to file a bug, and they've provided what seems to be a decent workaround for the interim. I'll include it in the next build.

  7. Jacek Urbanowski reporter

    Thanks for taking care of it so quickly! I'm impressed and of course, looking forward to the next build.

  8. Log in to comment