Quick start guide for SMB :
(updated ~ 2020/02/09)
This is a step-by-step basic guide for new POPStarter users. If you are already familiar with POPStarter, you don’t need it. Quickstarter pack includes last POPStarter version (Rev 13 Beta 2019/06/05).
- Download : here
a) Installing the emulator :
Since POPS (the emulator) is copyrighted by SONY, it can not be redistributed with POPStarter. You have to find it. It’s made of 1 file (for SMB mode).
POPS_IOX.PAK - MD5 : a625d0b3036823cdbf04a3c0e1648901
- Find and download POPS_IOX.PAK ;
- Create a directory named POPS in your PS2 shared folder ;
- Copy POPS_IOX.PAK into POPS directory you’ve just created.
b) Installing your PS1 Games :
POPStarter/POPS doesn’t support PS1 disc images as .iso – but only as .VCD.
- Create a disc image of your PS1 game as .BIN/.CUE;
- Drag & drop your .CUE file over CUE2POPS.EXE to convert your BIN/CUE disc image to .VCD file (you can convert several games at once by running BULK_CUE2POPS.BAT);
- Put your .VCD files in POPS directory of your PS2 shared folder.
c) Installing POPStarter :
- Edit the 2 .DAT files (syntax below) included with the network modules with your network settings;
- Create a directory named POPSTARTER in the root of your PS2 memory card and put the network modules and the .DAT files in it;
- Rename the POPStarter ELF as the name of your VCDs, replace the .VCD extension with a .ELF extension, add the SB. prefix (example : for running a VCD named “Crash Bandicoot.VCD”, the POPStarter ELF must be renamed as “SB.Crash Bandicoo.ELF”) ;
- Copy the ELFs where you want to run them from (example : mass:/POPSTARTER/SB.GAME.ELF).
Now, check your setup. It must be the same as this :
mc#:/POPSTARTER/IPCONFIG.DAT mc#:/POPSTARTER/SMBCONFIG.DAT mc#:/POPSTARTER/poweroff.irx mc#:/POPSTARTER/ps2dev9.irx mc#:/POPSTARTER/smsutils.irx mc#:/POPSTARTER/ps2ip.irx mc#:/POPSTARTER/ps2smap.irx mc#:/POPSTARTER/smbman.irx smb0:/My Shared Folder/POPS/POPS_IOX.PAK smb0:/My Shared Folder/POPS/GAME.VCD mass:/POPSTARTER/SB.GAME.ELF
=> to launch your game, run SB.GAME.ELF. Need help ? Ask over at PSX-Place.
.DAT syntax :
- SMBCONFIG.DAT syntax :
In a single line :
SERVER IP ADDRESS space SHARE NAME
192.168.0.254 My Shared Folder
You can also specify a port, like this (default is 445) :
192.168.0.254:139 My Shared Folder
For user authentication, write your username to line 2 and your password to line 3.
192.168.0.254 My Shared Folder MyName MyPassword
For guest access, don’t write anything to line 2 and 3.
- IPCONFIG.DAT syntax :
In a single line :
PS2 IP ADDRESS space NETMASK space GATEWAY
192.168.0.13 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254