doko is a C++ doppelkopf program with an integrated UCT player..
This code base makes two contributions:
- First, it provides an implementation of the game of Doppelkopf. Only official (tournament) rules are supported.
- Second, it provides an implementation of a computer player based on the UCT algorithm. Humans can also play via console input.
The implementation has been described and evaluated in detail in Implementation of the UCT Algorithm for Doppelkopf (Silvan Sievers, University of Freiburg, 2012) and also published in A Doppelkopf Player Based on UCT (Silvan Sievers and Malte Helmert, KI 2015).
Notes on the code:
- I developed this code during my Master's thesis and it is by no means in a "finished state". There is plenty room for improving this code, e.g. by making it more modular (in general by using a better design), using shorter methods etc. Several places contain copy & pasted parts, emerged due to time pressure :-)
- That being said, this doesn't imply that one should by default assume that the code contains tons of bugs; experiments and lots of human playing against the UCT player revealed no more bugs in the end (of course there will always be, but hopefully not in a high amount), and it is very reasonable to assume that the game is correctly implemented.
- I publish the code nevertheless, because since 2012, several people wished to have access to the code, and I always thought I would first go to clean it up. Being realistic, this will not happen in the near future, and so I hope the code can still be useful as it is.
- Finally, if you decide to build upon the code base and find anything suspicious to be a bug, please let me know! You may just email me or create issues on bitbucket.
Simply typing make should work on modern Unix systems.
Type ./doko --help to get an overview of available commands. Running ./doko will start a game without a human player, letting a UCT player play against three random players. A standard tournament set of 24 games against the presumably best configuration of a UCT player can be played using the following command: ./doko -n 24 -r --announcing-version 1 --compulsory-solo --verbose -p human uct uct uct --p1-options 0 500 1 1 16000 1000 10 1 0 0 1 --p2-options 0 500 1 1 16000 1000 10 1 0 0 1 --p3-options 0 500 1 1 16000 1000 10 1 0 0 1
For questions, please contact Silvan Sievers: email@example.com