* to wait for. If the latch is already set (and WL_LATCH_SET is given), the
* function returns immediately.
- * The 'timeout' is given in milliseconds. It must be >= 0 if WL_TIMEOUT flag
- * is given. Note that some extra overhead is incurred when WL_TIMEOUT is
- * given, so avoid using a timeout if possible.
+ * The "timeout" is given in milliseconds. It must be >= 0 if WL_TIMEOUT flag
+ * is given. Although it is declared as "long", we don't actually support
+ * timeouts longer than INT_MAX milliseconds. Note that some extra overhead
+ * is incurred when WL_TIMEOUT is given, so avoid using a timeout if possible.
* The latch must be owned by the current process, ie. it must be a
* backend-local latch initialized with InitLatch, or a shared latch
if (wakeEvents & WL_TIMEOUT)
+ Assert(timeout >= 0);