googlemaps 1.0.2 16 Oct 2009 README =================
This is a Python 2 module that provides access to the Google Maps and Local Search AJAX APIs. It has the following features:
- Geocoding: convert a postal address to latitude and longitude
- Reverse Geocoding: convert a latitude and longitude to a postal address
- Driving Directions: turn-by-turn instructions for getting from one point to another, distance and duration of travel
- Local Search: find businesses and other points of interest near a given location
You will need a Google Maps API key and/or URL of the website where the information will be used (a referrer URL) to comply with Google's terms of service. Google also imposes additional restrictions on their service, including limiting the number of queries per day. This software is not related to Google Inc. in any way. See the included HTML documentation in doc/html or the interactive help for more.
This module should work with Python 2.3 - 2.6+, and with Python 3+ via 2to3. Its only dependency is the json module, included with Python versions 2.6 and later and available for download as simplejson for earlier versions.
You can install this package with easy_install using:
Or if you have already downloaded the .tar.gz archive:
tar xzvf googlemaps-1.0.2.tar.gz cd googlemaps-1.0.2 python setup.py install
Copyright and Licensing
This is free software, Copyright 2009 John Kleint, licensed under what is effectively a "Lesser Affero General Public License." It is identical to the GNU LGPLv3 but refers to the GNU Affero GPL v3 instead of the standard GNU GPL v3.
In plain English, the intent of this license is the following:
1. You are free to use this library unmodified, without obligation, for any purpose.
2. If you modify this library and distribute software using the modified library, you must make your modified version of this library freely available under the same terms as this library.
3. If you modify this library and use it to provide a network service, you must make your modified version of this library freely available under the same terms as this library.
- In any case, software using this library can be licensed however you like.
See the files LICENSE.txt and AGPLv3.txt for details.
Version 1.0.2: Refactored GoogleMapsError to contain status codes.
Version 1.0.1: Fixed local search throwing an exception if Google returned fewer results than requested.
Version 1.0: Initial Release