as a build_py replacement to automatically run 2to3 on modules
that are going to be installed.
-- Issue #2315: logging.handlers: TimedRotatingFileHandler now accounts for
- daylight savings time in calculating the next rollover.
-- Issue #2316: logging.handlers: TimedRotatingFileHandler now calculates
- rollovers correctly even when nothing is logged for a while.
-- Issue #2317: logging.handlers: TimedRotatingFileHandler now uses improved
- logic for removing old files.
-- Issue #2495: tokenize.untokenize now inserts a space between two consecutive
- string literals; previously, ["" ""] was rendered as [""""], which is
- A new pickle protocol (protocol 3) is added with explicit support
for bytes. This is the default protocol. It intentionally cannot
be unpickled by Python 2.x.
What's New in Python 3.0a3?
-- Issue #1681432: Add triangular distribution to the random module
-- Issue #2136: urllib2's auth handler now allows single-quoted realms in the
- WWW-Authenticate header.
-- Issue #2434: Enhanced platform.win32_ver() to also work on Python
- installation which do not have the win32all package installed.
-- Added support to platform.uname() to also report the machine
- and processor information on Windows XP and later. As a result,
- platform.machine() and platform.processor() will report this
-- The library implementing the 2to3 conversion, lib2to3, was added
- to the standard distribution.
-- Issue #1747858: Fix chown to work with large uid's and gid's on 64-bit
-- Issue #1202: zlib.crc32 and zlib.adler32 no longer return different values
- on 32-bit vs. 64-bit python interpreters. Both were correct, but they now
- both return a signed integer object for consistency.
-- Issue #1158: add %f format (fractions of a second represented as
- microseconds) to datetime objects. Understood by both strptime and
-- Issue #705836: struct.pack(">f", x) now raises OverflowError on all
- platforms when x is too large to fit into an IEEE 754 float; previously
- it only raised OverflowError on non IEEE 754 platforms.
-- Issue #1106316: pdb.post_mortem()'s parameter, "traceback", is now
- optional: it defaults to the traceback of the exception that is currently
- being handled (is mandatory to be in the middle of an exception, otherwise
-- Issue #1193577: A .shutdown() method has been added to SocketServers
- which terminates the .serve_forever() loop.
-- Bug #2220: handle rlcompleter attribute match failure more gracefully.
-- Issue #2225: py_compile, when executed as a script, now returns a non-
- zero status code if not all files could be compiled successfully.
-- Bug #1725737: In distutil's sdist, exclude RCS, CVS etc. also in the
- root directory, and also exclude .hg, .git, .bzr, and _darcs.
-- Issue #1872: The struct module typecode for _Bool has been changed
-- The bundled libffi copy is now in sync with the recently released
- libffi3.0.4 version, apart from some small changes to
- On OS X, preconfigured libffi files are used.
- On all linux systems the --with-system-ffi configure option defaults
-- Issue 1577: shutil.move() now calls os.rename() if the destination is a
- directory instead of copying-then-remove-source.
-- test_nis no longer fails when test.test_support.verbose is true and NIS is
- not set up on the testing machine.
-- Output comparison tests are no longer supported.
-- Rewrite test_errno to use unittest and no longer be a no-op.
-- GHOP 234: Convert test_extcall to doctest.
-- GHOP 290: Convert test_dbm and test_dummy_threading to unittest.
-- GHOP 293: Convert test_strftime, test_getargs, and test_pep247 to unittest.
-- Issue #2055: Convert test_fcntl to unittest.
-- Issue 1960: Convert test_gdbm to unittest.
-- GHOP 294: Convert test_contains, test_crypt, and test_select to unittest.
-- GHOP 238: Convert test_tokenize to use doctest.
-- GHOP 237: Rewrite test_thread using unittest.
-- Patch #2232: os.tmpfile might fail on Windows if the user has no
- permission to create files in the root directory.
-- A new script 2to3 is now installed, to run the 2.x to 3.x converter.
-- Python/memmove.c and Python/strerror.c have been removed; both functions are
- in the C89 standard library.
-- Patch #2284: Add -x64 option to rt.bat.
-- Patch #2477: Added PyParser_ParseFileFlagsEx() and
-What's New in Python 2.6 alpha 1?
*Release date: 29-Feb-2008*
- Issue #2282: io.TextIOWrapper was not overriding seekable() from io.IOBase.
-- Issue #2067: file.__exit__() now calls subclasses' close() method.
-- Patch #1759: Backport of PEP 3129 class decorators.
-- Issue #1881: An internal parser limit has been increased. Also see
- issue 215555 for a discussion.
-- Added the future_builtins module, which contains hex() and oct().
- These are the PEP 3127 version of these functions, designed to be
- compatible with the hex() and oct() builtins from Python 3.0. They
- differ slightly in their output formats from the existing, unchanged
- Python 2.6 builtins. The expected usage of the future_builtins
- from future_builtins import hex, oct
-- Issue #1600: Modifed PyOS_ascii_formatd to use at most 2 digit
- exponents for exponents with absolute value < 100. Follows C99
- standard. This is a change on Windows, which would use 3 digits.
- Also, added 'n' to the formats that PyOS_ascii_formatd understands,
- so that any alterations it does to the resulting string will be
- available in stringlib/formatter.h (for float.__format__).
-- Implemented PEP 3101, Advanced String Formatting. This adds a new
- builtin format(); a format() method for str and unicode; a
- __format__() method to object, str, unicode, int, long, float, and
- datetime; the class string.Formatter; and the C API
-- Fixed several potential crashes, all caused by specially crafted __del__
- methods exploiting objects in temporarily inconsistent state.
-- Issue #2115: Important speedup in setting __slot__ attributes. Also
- prevent a possible crash: an Abstract Base Class would try to access a slot
+- Issue #2115: Important speedup in setting __slot__ attributes. Also
+ prevent a possible crash: an Abstract Base Class would try to access a slot
on a registered virtual subclass.
- Fixed repr() and str() of complex numbers with infinity or nan as real or
- Issue #1969: split and rsplit in bytearray are inconsistent
-- Issue #1920: "while 0" statements were completely removed by the compiler,
- even in the presence of an "else" clause, which is supposed to be run when
- the condition is false. Now the compiler correctly emits bytecode for the
- map() and no longer accepts None for the first argument.
PyNumber_Coerce(), PyNumber_CoerceEx(), PyMember_Get, PyMember_Set
-- ``PySet_Add()`` can now modify a newly created frozenset. Similarly to
- ``PyTuple_SetItem``, it can be used to populate a brand new frozenset; but
- it does not steal a reference to the added item.
- Removed these C slots/fields:
-- Added ``PySet_Check()`` and ``PyFrozenSet_Check()`` to the set API.
staticforward, statichere, PyArg_GetInt, PyArg_NoArgs, _PyObject_Del
-- Bug #1542693: remove semi-colon at end of PyImport_ImportModuleEx macro
- so it can be used as an expression.
-- Patch #1706: Drop support for Win9x, WinME and NT4. Python now requires
- Windows 2000 or greater. The _WINVER and NTDDI_VERSION macros are set to
- Win2k for x86/32bit builds and WinXP for AMD64 builds.
-- Conditionalize definition of _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
- and _CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE.
-- Bug #1216: Restore support for Visual Studio 2002.
-- cfmfile now raises a DeprecationWarning.
-- buildtools now raises a DeprecationWarning.
-- Removed the macfs module. It had been deprecated since Python 2.5. This
- lead to the deprecation of macostools.touched() as it relied solely on macfs
- and was a no-op under OS X.
**(For information about older versions, consult the HISTORY file.)**