Core language, builtins, and interpreter
-- Add support for unbounded ints in %d,i,y,x,X,o formats for string
+- Add support for unbounded ints in %d,i,u,x,X,o formats; for example
+ "%d" % 2L**64 == "18446744073709551616"
- Add -h and -V flags to print the usage message and Python version
number and exit immediately.polation.
- os: Add support for popen2 and popen3 on all platforms where fork
-- os: (Windows only) Add startfile function athat exposes part of
- Win32 ShellExecute functionality.
+- os: (Windows only) Add startfile function that acts like double-
+ clicking on a file in Explorer (or passing the file name to the
-- os.path: (NT, DOS) Treat trailing colon correctly in os.path.join.
- os.path.join("a:", "b") yields "a:b".
+- os.path: (Windows, DOS) Treat trailing colon correctly in
+ os.path.join. os.path.join("a:", "b") yields "a:b".
- pickle: Now raises ValueError when an invalid pickle that contains
a non-string repr where a string repr was expected. This behavior
getdomainliteral are now properly wrapped in brackets.
- site: sys.setdefaultencoding() should only be called in case the
- standard default encoding ("ascii") is changed. This sa
fes quite a
+ standard default encoding ("ascii") is changed. This saes quite a
few cycles during startup since the first call to
setdefaultencoding() will initialize the codec registry and the
- webbrower: On Windows, use os.startfile instead of os.popen, which
works around a bug in certain versions of Norton AntiVirus that
- leads directly to a Blue Screen.
+ leads directly to a Blue Screen.
- xml: New version detection code allows PyXML to override standard
XML package if PyXML version is greater than 0.6.1.
unicode_internal_decode function to support Unicode objects directly
rather than by generating a copy of the object.
-- XXX Unicode database compression
+- Several of the internal Unicode tables are much smaller now, and
+ the source code should be much friendlier to weaker compilers.
Build and platform-specific issues