- The new function sys.getcheckinterval() returns the last value set
-- The Windows implementation of PyThread_start_new_thread() never
- checked error returns from Windows functions correctly. As a result,
- it could claim to start a new thread even when the Microsoft
- _beginthread() function failed (due to "too many threads" -- this is
- on the order of thousands when it happens). In these cases, the
- thread.error: can't start new thread
- Several bugs in the symbol table phase of the compiler have been
fixed. Errors could be lost and compilation could fail without
- reporting an error. SF patch
+ reporting an error. SF patch 763201.
- The interpreter is now more robust about importing the warnings
module. In an executable generated by freeze or similar programs,
earlier versions of 2.3 would fail if the warnings module could
- not be found on the file system. Fixes SF bug
+ not be found on the file system. Fixes SF bug 771097.
- A warning about assignments to module attributes that shadow
builtins, present in earlier releases of 2.3, has been removed.
allowed this by mistake, leading to crashes and other problems.
- The thread_id is now initialized to 0 in a non-thread build. SF bug
+- SF bug 762891: "del p[key]" on proxy object no longer raises SystemError.
- time.strptime now exclusively uses the Python implementation
contained within the _strptime module.
-- bsddb3 no longer crashes if an environment is closed before a
- cursor. SF bug #763298.
- The print slot of weakref proxy objects was removed, because it was
not consistent with the object's repr slot.
- The mmap module only checks file size for regular files, not
- character or block devices. SF patch #708374.
+ character or block devices. SF patch 708374.
+- The cPickle Pickler garbage collection support was fixed to traverse
+ the find_class attribute, if present.
+- There are several fixes for the bsddb3 wrapper module.
+ bsddb3 no longer crashes if an environment is closed before a cursor
+ The DB and DBEnv set_get_returns_none function was extended to take
+ a level instead of a boolean flag. The new level 2 mans return None
+ instead of raising an exception. This applies to set methods.
+ A typo was fixed in DBCursor.join_item(), preventing a crash.
- The classes in threading.py are now new-style classes. That they
weren't before was an oversight.
+- The urllib2 digest authentication handlers now define the correct
+ auth_header. The earlier versions would fail at runtime.
- SF bug 763023: fix uncaught ZeroDivisionError in difflib ratio methods
- SF bug 770601: CGIHTTPServer.py now passes the entire environment
-- SF bug 765238: Add filter to fnmatch's __all__.
+- SF bug 765238: add filter to fnmatch's __all__.
+- SF bug 748201: make time.strptime() error messages more helpful.
+- SF patch 764470: Do not dump the args attribute of a Fault object in
+- SF patch 549151: urllib and urllib2 now redirect POSTs on 301
+- SF patch 766650: The whichdb module was fixed to recognize dbm files
+ generated by gdbm on OS/2 EMX.
+- SF bugs 763047 and 763052: fixes bug of timezone value being left as
+ -1 when ``time.tzname == time.tzname and not time.daylight``
+ is true when it should only when time.daylight is true.
+- SF bug 764548: re now allows subclasses of str and unicode to be
+- SF bug 763637: In Tkinter, change after_cancel() to handle tuples
+ of varying sizes. Tk 8.4 returns a different number of values
+- SF bug 763023: difflib.ratio() did not catch zero division.
+- The Queue module now has an __all__ attribute.
+- See Lib/idlelib/NEWS.txt for IDLE news.
- SF bug 753592: webchecker/wsgui now handles user supplied directories.
See Lib/idlelib/NEWS.txt for IDLE news.
+- Python now compiles with -fno-strict-aliasing if possible (SF bug 766696).
- The socket module compiles on IRIX 6.5.10.
-- An irix64 system is treated the same way as an irix6 system. SF
+- An irix64 system is treated the same way as an irix6 system (SF
+- Several definitions were missing on FreeBSD 5.x unless the
+ __BSD_VISIBLE symbol was defined. configure now defines it as
+- Unicode objects now support mbcs as a built-in encoding, so the C
+ API can use it without deferring to the encodings package.
+- The Windows implementation of PyThread_start_new_thread() never
+ checked error returns from Windows functions correctly. As a result,
+ it could claim to start a new thread even when the Microsoft
+ _beginthread() function failed (due to "too many threads" -- this is
+ on the order of thousands when it happens). In these cases, the
+ thread.error: can't start new thread
+- SF bug 766669: Prevent a GPF on interpreter exit when sockets are in
+ use. The interpreter now calls WSACleanup() from Py_Finalize()
+ instead of from DLL teardown.
+- Bundlebuilder now inherits default values in the right way. It was
+ previously possible for app bundles to et a type of "BNDL" instead
+ of "APPL." Other improvements include, a --build-id option to
+ specify the CFBundleIdentifier and using the --python option to set
+ the executable in the bundle.
+- Fixed two bugs in MacOSX framework handling.
What's New in Python 2.3 beta 2?