The help page didn't seem to quite do the job. I was collecting all but the data sets.
So, I've dropped back to a manual option:
1) I log in and shop for data,
2) I request it.
3) They prepare the data in a tar file on a ftp site; it'll be there for 5 days
4) they send me an email pointing to the data (and related stuff, too, which is nice).
5) I take the email and copy/paste it into a file
6) I run a script on it which sucks down the data and the related stuff.
7) done, and repeat until complete.
currently, I have early versions of the scripts working. Work is in pub04:/var/local/gpk/tmp and /var/local/gpk/ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov .
It seemed to work once, the be rejected. Weird.
The manual method also seems stymied, at least for the weekend. Downloads of a few gigabytes are "unually large" and the email indicates that they may need manual approval, which didn't happen between last night (Friday) and this morning (Saturday).