Rebar presents the following capabilities:
- As a strictly Erlang implementation, it’s possible for Erlang developers to dig into it and improve/modify with minimal effort
- It’s also wickedly fast, since it starts the VM up only once and has direct access to all the tools one needs to build and validate Erlang code
- It has the added advantage of being able to take advantage of Erlang’s inherent parallelism, so where possible, it runs commands concurrently
- It’s designed to be a self-contained escript, so using rebar doesn’t introduce any build dependencies other than a stock Erlang install. You simply drop the rebar script into your code tree and go!
- Promotion of applications which are compliant with OTP conventions (including correctly populated application resource files, and suggested directory layout)