Hunt the Wumpus
Hunt the Wumpus is an early video game, based on a simple hide and seek format featuring a mysterious monster (the Wumpus) that lurks deep inside a network of rooms.
- Objects -
- Wumpus - a beast that eats anyone that enters its room.
- Agent - the player that traverses the world in search of gold and while trying to kill the wumpus.
- Bats (not available in all versions) - creatures that instantly carry the agent to a different room.
- Pits - bottomless pit that will trap anyone who enters the room except for the wumpus.
- Actions - There are six possible actions:
- A simple move Forward.
- A simple Turn Left by 90°.
- A simple Turn Right by 90°.
- The action Grab can be used to pick up gold when in the same room as gold.
- The action Shoot can be used to fire an arrow in a straight line in the current direction the agent is facing. The arrow continues until it hits and kills the wumpus or hits a wall.
- The action Climb can be used to climb out of the cave but only when in the initial start position.
- Senses - There are five senses, each only gives one bit of information:
- In the square containing the wumpus and in the directly (not diagonal) adjacent squares, the agent will perceive a Stench.
- In the squares directly adjacent to the bats, the agent will perceive the Bats
- In the squares directly adjacent to a pit, the agent will perceive a Breeze.
- In the square where gold is, the agent will perceive a Glitter.
- When the agent walks into a wall, the agent will perceive a Bump.
- When the wumpus is killed, it emits a Scream that can be perceived anywhere in the cave.