AIEngine (Artificial Inteligent Engine)
AIEngine is a next generation interactive/programmable Python/Ruby/Java/Lua network intrussion detection system engine with capabilities of learning without any human intervention, DNS domain classification, Spam detection, network collector, network forensics and many others.
AIEngine also helps network/security professionals to identify traffic and develop signatures for use them on NIDS, Firewalls, Traffic classifiers and so on.
The main functionalities of AIEngine are:
- Support for interacting/programing with the user while the engine is running.
- Support for PCRE JIT for regex matching.
- Support for regex graphs (complex detection patterns).
- Support five types of NetworkStacks (lan,mobile,lan6,virtual and oflow).
- Support Sets and Bloom filters for IP searches.
- Supports x86_64, ARM and MIPS architecture over operating systems such as Linux, FreeBSD and MacOS.
- Support for HTTP,DNS and SSL Domains matching.
- Support for banned domains and hosts for HTTP, DNS, SMTP and SSL.
- Frequency analysis for unknown traffic and auto-regex generation.
- Generation of Yara signatures.
- Easy integration with databases (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, Hadoop, etc...) for data correlation.
- Easy integration with other packet engines (Netfilter).
- Support memory clean caches for refresh stored memory information.
- Support for detect DDoS at network/application layer.
- Support for rejecting TCP/UDP connections.
- Support for network forensics on real time.
- Supports protocols such as Bitcoin,CoAP,DHCP,DNS,GPRS,GRE,HTTP,ICMPv4/ICMPv6,IMAP,IPv4/v6,Modbus, MPLS,MQTT,Netbios,NTP,OpenFlow,POP,Quic,RTP,SIP,SMTP,SSDP,SSL,TCP,UDP,VLAN,VXLAN.
To use AIEngine(reduce version) just execute the binary aiengine or use the python/ruby/java/lua binding.
luis@luis-xps:~/c++/aiengine/src$ ./aiengine -h aiengine 1.7 Mandatory arguments: -I [ --input ] arg Sets the network interface ,pcap file or directory with pcap files. Link Layer optional arguments: -q [ --tag ] arg Selects the tag type of the ethernet layer (vlan,mpls). TCP optional arguments: -t [ --tcp-flows ] arg (=32768) Sets the number of TCP flows on the pool. UDP optional arguments: -u [ --udp-flows ] arg (=16384) Sets the number of UDP flows on the pool. Regex optional arguments: -R [ --enable-signatures ] Enables the Signature engine. -r [ --regex ] arg (=.*) Sets the regex for evaluate agains the flows. -c [ --flow-class ] arg (=all) Uses tcp, udp or all for matches the signature on the flows. -m [ --matched-flows ] Shows the flows that matchs with the regex. -M [ --matched-packet ] Shows the packet payload that matchs with the regex. -C [ --continue ] Continue evaluating the regex with the next packets of the Flow. -j [ --reject-flows ] Rejects the flows that matchs with the regex. -w [ --evidence ] Generates a pcap file with the matching regex for forensic analysis. Frequencies optional arguments: -F [ --enable-frequencies ] Enables the Frequency engine. -g [ --group-by ] arg (=dst-port) Groups frequencies by src-ip,dst-ip,src-por t and dst-port. -f [ --flow-type ] arg (=tcp) Uses tcp or udp flows. -L [ --enable-learner ] Enables the Learner engine. -k [ --key-learner ] arg (=80) Sets the key for the Learner engine. -b [ --buffer-size ] arg (=64) Sets the size of the internal buffer for generate the regex. -y [ --enable-yara ] Generates a yara signature. Optional arguments: -n [ --stack ] arg (=lan) Sets the network stack (lan,mobile,lan6,virtual, oflow). -d [ --dumpflows ] Dump the flows to stdout. -s [ --statistics ] arg (=0) Show statistics of the network stack (5 levels). -T [ --timeout ] arg (=180) Sets the flows timeout. -P [ --protocol ] arg Show statistics of a specific protocol of the network stack. -e [ --release ] Release the caches. -l [ --release-cache ] arg Release a specific cache. -p [ --pstatistics ] Show statistics of the process. -o [ --summary ] Show protocol summmary statistics (bytes,packets,% bytes,cache miss,memory). -h [ --help ] Show help. -v [ --version ] Show version string.
AIEngine supports five types of Network stacks depending on the network topology.
StackLan (lan) Local Area Network based on IPv4.
StackLanIPv6 (lan6) Local Area Network with IPv6 support.
StackMobile (mobile) Network Mobile (Gn interface) for IPv4.
StackVirtual (virtual) Stack for virtual/cloud environments with VxLan and GRE Transparent.
StackOpenFlow (oflow) Stack for openflow environments.
Integrating/Program AIEngine with other systems
AIEngine is a python/ruby/java/lua module also that allows to be more flexible in terms of integration with other systems and functionalities. The main objects that the python module provide export are the following ones.
BitcoinInfo CoAPInfo DHCPInfo DNSInfo DatabaseAdaptor (Abstract class) DomainName DomainNameManager Flow FlowManager Frequencies FrequencyGroup HTTPInfo HTTPUriSet IMAPInfo IPAbstractSet (Abstract class) IPSet IPSetManager LearnerEngine MQTTInfo NetbiosInfo NetworkStack (Abstract class) StackLan StackLanIPv6 StackMobile StackOpenFlow StackVirtual POPInfo PacketDispatcher PacketFrequencies Regex RegexManager SIPInfo SMTPInfo SSDPInfo SSLInfo
For a complete description of the class methods in Python
import pyaiengine help(pyaiengine)
Check the directory examples in order to have usefull use cases, and check /docs for documentation
Compile AIEngine binary
You should have installed pcre-devel, libpcap-devel and boost-devel in your system as minimun.
$ git clone https://bitbucket.com/camp0/aiengine $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ make
The system provides the following enable/disable functionalities depending your requirements.
- --enable-tcpqos Enable TCP QoS Metrics support for measure the QoS of connections.
- --enable-bloomfilter Enable bloom filter support for IP lookups. This option should have the correct libraries.
- --enable-fscompress Enable flow serialization compression support for minimize the amount of data write when using DatabaseAdaptors on the library.
- --enable-reject Enable TCP/UDP reject connection support for break establish connections on StackLans and StackLanIPv6 objects.
- --enable-pythongil Enable Python Gil support for multithreading applications.
- --enable-static-memory Enable static/fixed memory support for systems with low memory requirements (256 Bytes slot).
- --disable-release-flows Disable release flow support, for make static analisys of network flows, for pcap file analysis.
This options only can be enable/disable on compilation time on the configure script.
Compile AIEngine Python library
For compile the Python library is also recomended boost-python3-devel or boost-python-devel and python-devel.
The first option for compile the library is using O3 compile optimization, this will generate a small library
$ git clone https://bitbucket.com/camp0/aiengine $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ cd src $ make python $ python pyai_test.py
The second option will compile the library by using the standard pythonic way by using setup.py, this will generate a bigger library size if compare with the previous one.
$ git clone https://bitbucket.com/camp0/aiengine $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ cd src $ python setup.py build_ext -i $ python pyai_test.py
The python lib contains all the functionality that the engine provides.
Compile AIEngine Ruby library
For compile on Ruby swig and ruby-devel are needed.
$ git clone https://bitbucket.com/camp0/aiengine $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ cd src $ make ruby $ ruby ruai_tests.rb
The ruby lib dont provides all the functionality of the engine.
Compile AIEngine Java library
For compile on Ruby swig and java devel package are needed.
$ git clone https://bitbucket.com/camp0/aiengine $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ cd src $ make java $ java -cp ".:/usr/share/java/junit.jar:/usr/share/java/hamcrest/core.jar:./buildjava" org.junit.runner.JUnitCore JunitTestSuite
The java lib provides some of the functionality of the engine, with some exceptions.
Compile AIEngine Lua library
For compile on Lua swig and lua-devel package are needed.
$ git clone https://bitbucket.com/camp0/aiengine $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ cd src $ make lua $ lua luai_tests.lua
The lua lib provides the majority of the functionality of the engine.
Contributing to AIEngine
AIEngine is develop with c++11/14 standard and is under the terms of GPLv2.
Check out the AIEngine source with
$ git clone https://bitbucket.com/camp0/aiengine
If you are interested in some functionality or some help just drop me an email. Contributions are always helpful.
Develop new functionality
AIEngine have been develop using test driven development. So in order to maintain the same life cicle, the new functionatly should have unit test on the directory created of the new functionality and for integrate with all the system, later integrate with the main tests.cc file on the /src directory