Files changed (1)
src/_posts/0006 - from-wordpress-to-blogofile.markdown
+Like many other developers did before me, I just switched this site from WordPress to a static site generator ([Blogofile](http://www.blogofile.com/) in my case).
+There wasn't anything particularly *wrong* with WordPress, I did the switch mainly for the same reasons everyone else did it as well:
+I'm a developer, I prefer writing Markdown files and using "proper" source control (Mercurial in my case), instead of a WYSIWYG web interface with all the data only on a server somewhere on the web.
+Sure, it does everything I want, but you need plugins for everything beyond the bare minimum. For example, I had to install a plugin just to enable Google Analytics. It worked without trouble, but still...just [inserting a few lines into a HTML file](https://bitbucket.org/christianspecht/blog/commits/32cfb72c9cb2df01341e7614172cfa73ea6928c0) feels somehow more natural to me, even though I'm not exactly a "web guy".
+And then you need another plugin for changing the meta tags, and another one for syntax highlighting, and...you get the idea.
+The actual switching to Blogofile was pretty straightforward. The [documentation](http://docs.blogofile.com/) is good and I found nearly everything I needed there.
+Blogofile even offers a [converter script](http://docs.blogofile.com/en/latest/migrating_blogs.html#posts), but I had only a few posts, so I didn't bother playing around with the script and just converted the posts by hand.
+I found [a bug](https://github.com/EnigmaCurry/blogofile/issues/141) while converting, which made me unable to set the date of any blog post to March (no matter which year).
+So I had to ["re-schedule" one post from last year's March to February instead](https://bitbucket.org/christianspecht/blog/commits/7d679e36cdf960596c477435f758a184fdda3e8f), and fake the original WordPress URL by [setting the permalink field of that post](https://bitbucket.org/christianspecht/blog/commits/c5246607b5f6c5b46be8f70aa4480dfee8c12d37).
+There are no ready-made templates for Blogofile (or at least I didn't find any), so I had to build my own using [Twitter Bootstrap](http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/) (which I had heard of, but never used before). The layout is based on the ["Fluid layout" example](http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/examples/fluid.html) (I only moved the sidebar to the right), and I used one of the great free themes from [Bootswatch](http://bootswatch.com/) to make the site look less "bootstrappy".
+The standard way of having comments on a static HTML site would be using [Disqus](http://disqus.com/). Well, I *could* enable Disqus for comments, but in about a year running this site on WordPress, I got exactly **zero** comments from real humans...only about ten spam comments for each post.