Mercurial (for managers)
Mercurial is a version control system -- a piece of software that allows you to view previous versions of files. Versions are set when you "commit" to the repository. Mercurial provides a checksum for each commit, which can be used to uniquely identify all of the files at that version.
To set up Mercurial,
- Download TortoiseHg (for Windows), or Murky (for Mac)
- Clone (TortoiseHg wiki help) this "Source Path" url: http://bitbucket.org/coop.berkeley.bsc.ridge/bylaws
- If you need to make changes, get the password for coop.berkeley.bsc.ridge, as passed down from previous managers.
Download the latest version of the bylaws (instead of getting Mercurial)
You can always download the latest version of the bylaws at, http://bitbucket.org/coop.berkeley.bsc.ridge/bylaws/get/tip.zip
- Install OpenOffice 3.1.1 or later
- Install the fonts in the "fonts" folder on your system. To find out how to do this, you can open OpenOffice Writer, go to Help (F1), and search for "fonts".
- For Linux, copy them to /.fonts.
Follow these guidelines to the letter!
- Never modify text style manually (e.g. clicking the bold button on the toolbar). Instead, open up the Styles and Formatting box (F11), right-click the applicable style, and select modify. Formatting text manually is one reason why WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) text editors generally produce inferior documents. Avoid it, and everything will look better.
- Likewise, never enter a list manually, with asterisks and/or text numbers (e.g. "1. "). It is safe to click the "insert list" button though.
- For headers, hit (ctrl+1) or (ctrl+2) to set the article/section styles.
- Don't ever manually modify the table of contents. Select "Tools / Update / Update all" instead, or right-click it and choose "update".
- Download http://bitbucket.org/coop.berkeley.bsc.ridge/bylaws/raw/tip/bylaws.odt for use as the original document.
- Open the edited document, choose "Edit / Compare Document", and select the original document.