Accurate Backup Script for Google Reader
A script to accurately backup all data from Google Reader. Note: Google Takeout might give you inaccurate data. So you'd better use this instead of that.
Data to be dumped
- All subscriptions (feeds.json)
- Starred items (stars.json)
- All items (all other .json files)
(TLDR for hackers: Use pip to resolve dependencies. See requirements.txt file.)
- You need Python 2.7 first. (Mac includes a builtin Python.)
- Install pip. If you don't know how to install pip, type curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py; sudo python get-pip.py and return, then type your password to give permission.
- Download the source code zip from here and extract it.
- Install requirements using pip: pip install --user -r requirements.txt.
(TLDR for hackers: try python backup.py -h.)
Type the following command in Terminal ($ is just a prompt):
$ python backup.py -u YOURNAME@GMAIL.COM BACKUP_DIR
It will ask you to type password as well. Type the password of your Google account. Note that your typings are never displayed:
It will download several *.json files into BACKUP_DIR you typed above.
Export backup data to Earth Reader repository
You can export all Google Reader data backup.py downloaded to Earth Reader repository using toearth.py:
$ toearth.py -o "Your Name" e "email@example.com" BACKUP_DIR REPOSITORY_DIR
The above command will create a new directory (REPOSITORY_DIR) which is an Earth Reader repository.
Public License except of toearth.py, is distributed under GPLv3+.