- **How does Distribute interacts with zc.buildout?**
- You can use Distribute in your zc.buildout.
+ You can use Distribute in your zc.buildout. *The only thing* you need to do
+ is use the bootstrap at `http://python-distribute.org/bootstrap.py`. Run
+ that bootstrap and ``bin/buildout`` (and all other buildout-generated
+ scripts) will transparently use distribute instead of setuptools. You do
+ not need a specific buildout release.
- Although you have to run a specific `bootstrap.py` file that is available
- at `http://python-distribute.org/bootstrap.py`. The code is located at
+ A shared eggs directory is no problem (since 0.6.6): the setuptools egg is
+ left in place unmodified. So other buildouts that do not yet use the new
+ bootstrap continue to work just fine. And there is no need to list
+ ``distribute`` somewhere in your eggs: using the bootstrap is enough.
+ The source code for the bootstrap script is located at
- Beware that if you use a shared eggs folder with buildout, you need to
- switch all buildouts that use it to distribute. This is due to the fact
- that the setuptools eggs located in the shared folder will be replaced
- by a fake one, alongside distribute.
Feedback and getting involved