+ - Switch to stevedore_ for plugin management
+ - mkvirtualenv_help should use ``$VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_PYTHON`` instead
+ of calling ``virtualenv`` directly (:bbissue:`148`).
+ - Fix issue with lazy-loader code under zsh (:bbissue:`144`).
+ - Fix issue with ``noclobber`` option under zsh
+ (:bbissue:`137`). Fix based on patch from :bbuser:`rob_b`.
+.. _stevedore: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/stevedore
+ - Rewrite :ref:`command-cpvirtualenv` to use `virtualenv-clone`_
+ instead of making the new environment relocatable. Contributed by
+ Justin Barber (:bbuser:`barberj`). This also resolves a problem
+ with cpvirtualenv not honoring the ``--no-site-packages`` flag
+ - Update docs with link to `virtualenvwrapper-win`_ port by David
+ - Use ``command`` to avoid functions named the same as common
+ utilities. (:bbissue:`119`)
+.. _virtualenv-clone: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv-clone
+.. _virtualenvwrapper-win: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenvwrapper-win
+ - Add :ref:`install-lazy-loader` option.
+ - Clean up file permissions and remove shebangs from scripts not
+ intended to be executed on the command line. (contributed by
+ - Worked on some brittle tests.
+ - Received updates to Japanese translation of the documentation from
+ - Fix the test script and runner so the user's ``$WORKON_HOME`` is
+ not erased if they do not have some test shells installed.
+ (big thanks to :bbuser:`agriffis`).
+ - If the hook loader is told to list plugins but is not given a hook
+ name, it prints the list of core hooks.
+ - Merge several fixes for path and variable handling for MSYS users
+ from :bbuser:`bwanamarko`. Includes a fix for :bbissue:`138`.
+ - Change :ref:`command-mkvirtualenv` so it catches both ``-h`` and
+ - Fix some issues with the way temporary files are used for hook
+ scripts. (contributed by :bbuser:`agriffis`)
+ - Allow relative path to requirements file with
+ :ref:`command-mkvirtualenv` and ``-r`` option. (:bbuser:`barberj`)
+ - Make whitespace consistent. (:bbuser:`agriffis`)
+ - Make ``project_dir`` a local variable so that
+ :ref:`command-cdproject` does not interfere with other variables
+ the user might have set. (contributed by :bbuser:`slackorama`)
+ - Fix typo in documentation reported by Nick Martin.
+ - Change trove classifier for license "MIT" to reflect the license
+ text presented in the documentation. *This does not indicate a
+ change in the license, just a correction to the expression of that
+ intent. See :ref:`license`* (contributed by :bbuser:`ralphbean` as
+ fix for :bbissue:`134`)
+ - Extend :ref:`command-rmvirtualenv` to allow removing more than one
+ environment at a time. (contributed by :bbuser:`ciberglo`)
+ - Change the definition of
+ ``virtualenvwrapper_get_site_packages_dir`` to ask ``distutils``
+ for the ``site-packages`` directory instead of trying to build the
+ path ourselves in the shell script. This should resolve
+ :bbissue:`112` and improve support for Python interpreters other
+ than C Python. Thanks to Carl Meyer and Dario Bertini for their
+ contributions toward the fix.
+ - Fix a problem with activation hooks when associating a new
+ virtualenv with an existing project directory. (:bbissue:`122`)
+ - Fix a problem with :ref:`command-add2virtualenv` and paths
+ containing "special" characters such as ``&``. (:bbissue:`132`)
+ - Fix some packaging issues that made it more difficult to run the
+ tests directly from the sdist package. (:bbissue:`126`)
+ - Add Python 3 support, thanks in large part to the efforts of
+ Daniel Kraus (:bbuser:`dakra`). Tested under Python 2.6, 2.7, and
+ - Remove the initialization shortcut because it breaks tab
+ completion in sub-shell environments like screen and
+ - Add ``-a`` option to :ref:`command-mkvirtualenv` to associate a
+ new virtualenv with an existing project directory. Contributed by
+ Mike Fogel (:bbuser:`mfogel`).
+ - Drops support for Python 2.4 and 2.5. The tools may still work,
+ but I no longer have a development environment set up for testing
+ them, so I do not officially support them.
+ - Shortcut initialization if it has run before.
+ - Set hook log file permissions to be group-writable. (:bbissue:`62`
+ reported by :bbuser:`hedgeddown`)
+ - Add ``VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_PROJECT_FILENAME`` variable so the
+ ``.project`` file used to link a virtualenv to a project can be
+ renamed to avoid conflicts with other tools. (:bbissue:`120`
+ reported by :bbuser:`arthuralvim`)
+ - Changed arguments to :ref:`command-mktmpenv` so it always creates
+ an environment name for you. (:bbissue:`114` reported by
+ - Incorporated patch to add ``-d`` option to
+ :ref:`command-add2virtualenv`, contributed by :bbuser:`miracle2k`.
+ - Add ``-i`` option to :ref:`command-mkvirtualenv`.
+ - Add :ref:`command-mktmpenv` command for creating temporary
+ environments that are automatically removed when they are
+ - Fixed a problem with hook_loader that prevented it from working
+ under Python 2.5 and 2.4.
+ - Fix a problem with the way template names were processed under
+ - Change the shell function shell definition syntax so that ksh will
+ treat typeset-declared variables as local. No kidding.
+ - Merge the "project directory" features of the
+ ``virtualenvwrapper.project`` plugin into the main project, adding
+ :ref:`command-mkproject`, :ref:`command-cdproject`, and
+ :ref:`command-setvirtualenvproject` commands.
+ - Add ``-r`` option to :ref:`command-mkvirtualenv` to install
+ dependencies using a pip requirements file.
+ - Use VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV in `cpvirtualenv` (:bbissue:`104`).
+ - Add support for `MSYS <http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS>`_
+ environment under Windows. Contributed by Axel
+ H. (:bbuser:`noirbizarre`).
+ - Move setup code for tab completion later in the startup code so
+ all of the needed variables are configured. (:bbissue:`97`)
+ - Expand tab completion for zsh to work for all commands.
+ - When testing for WORKON_HOME during startup, dereference any
+ symlink to make sure it is a directory.
+ - Set VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_HOOK_DIR and VIRTUALENV_WRAPPER_LOG DIR in
+ virtualenvwrapper_initialize after WORKON_HOME is set
+ - Update the :ref:`install-basic` instructions to be more explicit
+ about needing to install virtualenvwrapper globally (or at least
+ outside of a virtualenv).
+ - Fix problem with space in WORKON_HOME path (:bbissue:`79`).
+ - Fix problem with argument processing in lsvirtualenv under zsh
+ (:bbissue:`86`). Thanks to Nat Williams (:bbuser:`natw`) for the
+ - If WORKON_HOME does not exist, create it. Patch from Carl Karsten
+ (:bbuser:`CarlFK`). Test updates based on patches from Matt Austin
+ (:bbuser:`maafy6`) and Hugo Lopes Tavares (:bbuser:`hltbra`).
+ - Merge in contributions from Paul McLanahan (:bbuser:`pmclanahan`)
+ to fix the test harness to ensure that the test scripts are
+ actually running under the expected shell.
+ - Merge in new shell command :ref:`command-toggleglobalsitepackages`
+ from Paul McLanahan (:bbuser:`pmclanahan`). The new command
+ changes the configuration of the active virtualenv to enable or
+ disable the global ``site-packages`` directory.
+ - Fixed some tests that were failing under ksh on Ubuntu 10.10.
+ - Document the :ref:`VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV
+ <variable-VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV>` variable.
+ - Implement suggestion by Van Lindberg to have
+ <variable-VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_HOOK_DIR>` and
+ <variable-VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_LOG_DIR>` variables to control the
+ locations of hooks and logs.
+ - Enabled tab completion for :ref:`command-showvirtualenv`
+ - Fixed a problem with running :ref:`command-rmvirtualenv` from
+ within the environment being removed (:bbissue:`83`).
+ - Removed use of -e option in calls to grep for better portability
+ - Hard-code the version information in the setup.py and conf.py
+ scripts. This still doesn't work for http://readthedocs.org, since
+ the doc build needs the sphinxcontrib.bitbucket extension, but
+ will make it easier to transition the docs to another site later.
+ - Attempted to make the doc build work with http://readthedocs.org.
+ - Merged in `Japanese translation of the documentation
+ <http://www.doughellmann.com/docs/virtualenvwrapper/ja/>`__ from
+ - Incorporate a suggestion from Ales Zoulek to let the user specify
+ the virtualenv binary through an environment variable
+ (:ref:`VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV <variable-VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV>`).
+ - Fixed virtualenvwrapper_get_python_version (:bbissue:`73`).
+ - Fixed a problem with hook script line endings under Cygwin
+ - Updated documentation to include a list of the compatible shells
+ (:ref:`supported-shells`) and Python versions
+ (:ref:`supported-versions`) (:bbissue:`70`).
+ - Fixed installation dependency on virtualenv (:bbissue:`60`).
+ - Fixed the method for determining the Python version so it works
+ under Python 2.4 (:bbissue:`61`).
+ - Converted the test infrastructure to use `tox
+ <http://codespeak.net/tox/index.html>`_ instead of home-grown
+ scripts in the Makefile.
+ - Point release uploaded to PyPI during outage on doughellmann.com.
+ - Apply patch from Zach Voase to fix :ref:`command-lsvirtualenv`
+ under zsh. Resolves :bbissue:`64`.
+ - Make :ref:`command-workon` list brief environment details when run
+ without argument, instead of full details.
+ - Add :ref:`command-showvirtualenv` command. Modify
+ :ref:`command-lsvirtualenv` to make verbose output the default.
+ - Add :ref:`command-lsvirtualenv` command with ``-l`` option to run
+ :ref:`scripts-get_env_details` hook instead of always running it
+ when :ref:`command-workon` has no arguments.
+ - Added ``get_env_details`` hook.
+ - Integrate Fred Palmer's patch to escape more shell commands to
+ avoid aliases. Resolves :bbissue:`57`.
+ - Fix a problem with egrep argument escaping (:bbissue:`55`).
+ - Fix a problem with running mkvirtualenv without arguments (:bbissue:`56`).
+ - Escape ``which`` calls to avoid aliases. Resolves :bbissue:`46`.
+ - Integrate Manuel Kaufmann's patch to unset GREP_OPTIONS before
+ calling grep. Resolves :bbissue:`51`.
+ - Escape ``$`` in regex to resolve :bbissue:`53`.
+ - Escape ``rm`` to avoid issues with aliases and resolve
+ - Switched hook loader execution to a form that works with Python
+ 2.4 to resolve :bbissue:`43`.
+ - Tested under Python 2.7b1. See :bbissue:`44`.
+ - Incorporated performance improvements from David Wolever. See
+ - Added some debug instrumentation for :bbissue:`35`.
+ - Added `Spanish translation for the documentation
+ <http://www.doughellmann.com/docs/virtualenvwrapper/es/>`__ via
+ Manuel Kaufmann's fork at
+ - Fixed improper use of python from ``$PATH`` instead of the
+ location where the wrappers are installed. See :bbissue:`41`.
+ - Quiet spurrious error/warning messages when deactivating a
+ virtualenv under zsh. See :bbissue:`42`.
- Add support for ksh. Thanks to Doug Latornell for doing the
research on what needed to be changed.
- Test import of virtualenvwrapper.hook_loader on startup and report
the error in a way that should help the user figure out how to fix
- Update :ref:`command-mkvirtualenv` documentation to include the
fact that a new environment is activated immediately after it is
+ created (issue30).
- Added hooks around :ref:`command-cpvirtualenv`.
- Made deactivation more robust, especially under ksh.
- Use Python's ``tempfile`` module for creating temporary filenames
- - Fixed issue
#32, making virtualenvwrapper.user_scripts compatible
+ - Fixed issue32, making virtualenvwrapper.user_scripts compatible
- - Fixed issue #29, to use a default value for ``TMPDIR`` if it is
- not set in the user's shell environment.
+ - Fixed :bbissue:`29`, to use a default value for ``TMPDIR`` if it
+ is not set in the user's shell environment.
- Fix a problem with error messages showing up during init for users
with the wrappers installed site-wide but who are not actually
- using them. See issue
+ using them. See issue26.
- Split up the tests into multiple files.
- Run all tests with all supported shells.
- Resolve a bug with the preactivate hook not being run properly.
- Refer to issue
#21 for complete details.
+ Refer to issue21 for complete details.
- Resolve a bug with the postmkvirtualenv hook not being run
- properly. Refer to issues #19 and #20 for complete details.
+ properly. Refer to :bbissue:`19` and :bbissue:`20` for complete
- - Better protection of ``$WORKON_HOME`` does not exist when the wrapper script is sourced.
+ - Better protection of ``$WORKON_HOME`` does not exist when the
+ wrapper script is sourced.
- Incorporate lssitepackages feature from Sander Smits.
- - Refactor some of the functions that were using copy-and-paste code to build path names.
+ - Refactor some of the functions that were using copy-and-paste code
- - Fix problem with add2virtualenv and relative paths. Thanks to Doug Latornell for the bug report James Bennett for the suggested fix.
+ - Fix problem with add2virtualenv and relative paths. Thanks to Doug
+ Latornell for the bug report James Bennett for the suggested fix.
- - Incorporate patch from Sascha Brossmann to fix a issue #15. Directory normalization was causing ``WORKON_HOME`` to appear to be a missing directory if there were control characters in the output of ``pwd``.
+ - Incorporate patch from Sascha Brossmann to fix a
+ :bbissue:`15`. Directory normalization was causing ``WORKON_HOME``
+ to appear to be a missing directory if there were control
+ characters in the output of ``pwd``.
- - Remove warning during installation if sphinxcontrib.paverutils is not installed. (#10)
+ - Remove warning during installation if sphinxcontrib.paverutils is
+ not installed. (:bbissue:`10`)
- Added some basic developer information to the documentation.
- Added documentation for deactivate command.
- - Merged in changes to ``cdvirtualenv`` from wam and added tests and docs.
- - Merged in changes to make error messages go to stderr, also provided by wam.
+ - Merged in changes to ``cdvirtualenv`` from wam and added tests and
+ - Merged in changes to make error messages go to stderr, also
- Better error handling in mkvirtualenv.
- Remove bogus VIRTUALENV_WRAPPER_BIN variable.
- - Wrap the virtualenv version of deactivate() with one that lets us invoke
- the predeactivate hooks.
- - Fix virtualenvwrapper_show_workon_options for colorized versions of ls and
- write myself a note so I don't break it again later.
- - Convert test.sh to use true tests with `shunit2 <http://shunit2.googlecode.com/>`_
+ - Wrap the virtualenv version of deactivate() with one that lets us
+ invoke the predeactivate hooks.
+ - Fix virtualenvwrapper_show_workon_options for colorized versions
+ of ls and write myself a note so I don't break it again later.
+ - Convert test.sh to use true tests with `shunit2
- - Fix issue #5 by correctly handling symlinks and limiting the list of envs to things
- that look like they can be activated.
+ - Fix :bbissue:`5` by correctly handling symlinks and limiting the
+ list of envs to things that look like they can be activated.
- - Check return value of virtualenvwrapper_verify_workon_home everywhere, thanks to
- Jeff Forcier for pointing out the errors.
+ - Check return value of virtualenvwrapper_verify_workon_home
+ everywhere, thanks to Jeff Forcier for pointing out the errors.
- Fix instructions at top of README, pointed out by Matthew Scott.
- Add cdvirtualenv and cdsitepackages, contributed by James Bennett.
- Optimize virtualenvwrapper_show_workon_options.
- Add global postactivate hook.
- - Pull in fix for colorized ls from Jeff Forcier (b42a25f7b74a).
+ - Pull in fix for colorized ls from Jeff Forcier
- - Add more hooks for operations to run before and after creating or deleting environments based on changes from Chris Hasenpflug.
+ - Add more hooks for operations to run before and after creating or
+ deleting environments based on changes from Chris Hasenpflug.
- - Corrected a problem with change to mkvirtualenv that lead to release 1.8 by using an alternate fix proposed by James in comments on release 1.4.
+ - Corrected a problem with change to mkvirtualenv that lead to
+ release 1.8 by using an alternate fix proposed by James in
+ comments on release 1.4.
- - Fix for processing the argument list in mkvirtualenv from jorgevargas (BitBucket issue #1)
+ - Fix for processing the argument list in mkvirtualenv from
+ jorgevargas (:bbissue:`1`)
- Move to bitbucket.org for hosting
- clean up TODO list and svn keywords
- add license section below
- - Fix some issues with spaces in directory or env names. They still don't really work with virtualenv, though.
+ - Fix some issues with spaces in directory or env names. They still
+ don't really work with virtualenv, though.
- Added documentation for the postactivate and predeactivate scripts.
- - Includes a new .pth management function based on work contributed by James Bennett and Jannis Leidel.
+ - Includes a new .pth management function based on work contributed
+ by James Bennett and Jannis Leidel.