sefgfault caused by parameter file parsing

Create issue
Issue #1324 closed
Roland Haas created an issue

the attached parfile (2 lines) fails with a segfault:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000000005ec9c4 in piraha::Value::doubleValue (this=0x0)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:143
143                     if(type == PIR_REAL)
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000000005ec9c4 in piraha::Value::doubleValue (this=0x0)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:143
#1  0x00000000005e7652 in piraha::meval (gr=...)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:495
#2  0x00000000005e8b0d in piraha::meval (gr=...)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:603
#3  0x00000000005e817b in piraha::meval (gr=...)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:552
#4  0x00000000005e7cee in piraha::meval (gr=...)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:524
#5  0x00000000005e794f in piraha::meval (gr=...)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:507
#6  0x00000000005e7763 in piraha::meval (gr=...)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:498
#7  0x00000000005e7371 in piraha::meval (gr=...)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:482
#8  0x00000000005eb154 in piraha::cctk_PirahaParser (
    buffer=0x116c4f0 "ActiveThorns = \"ioutil Carpet CarpetLib LoopControl InitBase CarpetIOHDF5 HDF5\"\n\nCarpet::max_refinement_levels = 8\nIOHDF5::out_every = 2**(Carpet::max_refinement_levels-1)\n", 
    buffersize=172, set_function=0x5c0b19 <CCTKi_SetParameter>)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/piraha/Call.cc:813
#9  0x00000000005c847c in ParseFile (ifp=0x116c2b0, set_function=0x5c0b19 <CCTKi_SetParameter>, 
    ConfigData=0x7fffffffd680) at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/util/ParseFile.c:140
#10 0x00000000005bcb12 in CCTKi_ProcessParameterDatabase (ConfigData=0x7fffffffd680)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/main/ProcessParameterDatabase.c:158
#11 0x00000000005b81e2 in CCTKi_InitialiseCactus (argc=0x7fffffffd67c, argv=0x7fffffffd670, 
    config=0x7fffffffd680) at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/main/InitialiseCactus.c:101
#12 0x00000000005b80df in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffd788)
    at /mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/main/flesh.cc:64

I attach parfile and thornlist toreproduce. This uses rev 4997 of the flesh.

Keyword:

Comments (5)

  1. Steven R. Brandt
    • removed comment

    I can't seem to reproduce this one. Can you check this is still a problem in the latest development versions of codes? What machine did you run on?

    I note that in my efforts to build it and run it I need other thorns (SymBase and CoordBase). I also got an error message from carpet about needing to parameters differently, e.g.. set initial_data_setup_method="init_all_levels"

  2. Roland Haas reporter
    • removed comment

    Still happens with a fresh checkout on QueenBee. The Cactus tree is at /home/rhaas/Cactus_Piraha and I did a:

    exe/cactus_sim -S par/test.par
    

    The thornlist used to download the code (on QB) is in thornlists/ThornList. Svn info returns the flesh version as 4997.

    Note that since it fails so early for me, I never included the missing thorns (I assume their presence is only checked afterwards). The folder should be world readable.

  3. Log in to comment