Would be best if we can figure out what Debian / Ubuntu’s plans are. /usr/bin/python2 is still fine, just /usr/bin/python is no good anymore. If possible we should try and avoid the situation we had with gcc/gfortran-10 where things broke just after the release.
Otherwise, yes delaying might well be feasible though we may have to comb our python scripts eg GW150914.rpar for #!/usr/bin/env python or similar in the hashbang line.
I agreed to pull and review, test as well as I can. Some kind of test suite would be nice.
See Steve’s other pull request on the Python2 version with the --test switch on “sim” which will be changed to --dryrun . Might be a nice way to test sim over a broad range of options. See tickets #2482 and #2483.