+ Some kind of indication in the HTML where yellow lines aren't going.
- Profile the reporting code: it's REALLY slow.
- parser is doing some redundant work.
- while TRUE claims to be partial?
+ Analysis class should do rolling up of stats also (actually Numbers)
- Update docs for --branch.
- self.coverage.data.has_arcs is ugly.
- Branches that never jump to nocover lines shouldn't be marked as partial.
(see top of test_cogapp for examples)
- Maybe turning off yellow lines should make those lines green?
- A missing branch to leave the function shows an annotation of -1.
- XML report needs to get branch information.
- Add branch info to "coverage debug data"
+ C extension collector
- bitvector in trace extension.
- Ignore certain modules
+ Record linenos rather than (file,lineno) pairs in tracer.
x Tricky swapping of collector like figleaf, pycov, et al. (Don't need to do
this with C collector).
- Seems like there should be a faster way to manage all the line number sets in
- If tracing, canonical_filename_cache overlaps with should_trace_cache. Skip
canonical_filename_cache. Maybe it isn't even worth it...
- Would pre-allocating line number integers make the C tracer faster?
- Record magic number of module to ensure code hasn't changed
- Record version of coverage data file, so we can update what's stored there.
- Record options in coverage data file, so multiple runs are certain to make
- Do I still need the lines in annotate_file that deal specially with "else"?
+ Branch coverage
1: if a:
2: b = 2
3: c = 3
if the coverage data shows 1,2,3, it was if-then. if it's 1,3, then the
missing else was executed.
- API for getting coverage data.
- Instruction tracing instead of line tracing.
- Path tracing (how does this even work?)
- Count execution of lines
- Track callers of functions (ala std module trace)
- Method/Class/Module coverage reporting.
- .coverage files that can be kept separate, rather than accumulated.
- Command line modules should also be directories, meaning all the modules in that
- Why can't a morf also be a string, the name of a module?
- ignore by module as well as file?
- Use a .coveragerc file to control Coverage without the programmatic API.
- Own the nose --with-cover plugin.
x Why can't you specify execute (-x) and report (-r) in the same invocation?
Maybe just because -x needs the rest of the command line?
+ Support 2.3 - 3.1!
+ Explicitly set pickle protocol to 2.
- An inference mode that marks lines as executed if they "must have been" executed:
class definitions, etc, when coverage is started after the class is defined.
- Different categories of exclude pragma? So you can enable and disable them
from the command line, to reconsider exclusions.
- Reporting on files never touched by coverage (package completeness)
+ HTML report
- Colored bars indicating coverage per file.
- Package navigation.
- Rolled-up statistics.
- Some way to focus in on red and yellow
- Show only lines near highlights?
- Jump to next highlight?
+ Clickable column headers on the index page.
+ Syntax coloring in HTML report.
+ Dynamic effects in HTML report.
+ Footer in reports pointing to coverage home page.
+ Baseline grid for linenumber font.
+ Separate out css and HTML.
- Does it work right with utf-8 source files? http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/
+ New docs, rather than pointing to Gareth's
+ Min python version is 2.3.
- Three phases of work:
- Distinction between:
- ignore (files not to collect)
- exclude (lines not to report as missed)
- omit (files not to report)
- Changes from coverage 2.x:
- Bare "except:" lines now count as executable code.
- Double function decorators: all decorator lines count as executable code.
- Document the .coverage file format.
+ HTML reporting.
- References between pages are off:
- They have <em> tags around them.
- They use #anchors that don't survive the px->html conversion.
+ Be sure --help text is complete (-i is missing).
+ Host the project somewhere with a real bug tracker: bitbucket.org
+ Point discussion to TIP
- PEP 8 compliance?
+ Don't use sys.exit in CoverageScript.
+ Remove singleton
+ Initialization of instance variables in the class.
- How will Coverage package install over coverage.py module?
- pip can't install it: it reads the coverage html page, and finds the kit link,
but then can't handle the root-relative link.
+ Decide on minimum supported version
+ Get rid of the basestring protection
+ Use enumerate
+ Use sets instead of dicts
+ Switch from getopt to optparse.
+ Get rid of the recursive nonsense.
+ Remove huge document-style comments.
- Better names:
+ self.cache -> self.cache_filename -> CoverageData.filename
+ self.usecache -> CoverageData.use_file
- More classes:
- Module munging
+ Coverage data files
+ Why are some imports at the top of the file, and some in functions?
+ Get rid of sys.exitfunc use.
+ True and False (with no backward adaptation: the constants are new in 2.2.1)
+ Get rid of compiler module
+ In analyzing code
+ In test_coverage.py
- What does -p (parallel mode) mean with -e (erase data)?
+ Switch to a real test runner, like nose.
+ Test both the C trace function and the Python trace function.
+ parser.py has no direct tests.
- Tests about the .coverage file.
+ Tests about the --long-form of arguments.
+ Tests about overriding the .coverage filename.
- Tests about parallel mode.
+ Tests about assigning a multi-line string.
- Tests about tricky docstrings.
+ Coverage test Coverage!
- Tests that tracing stops after calling stop()
- More intensive thread testing.
x Tests about the "import __main__" in cmdline.py
- What happens if the -x script raises an exception?
- Test that the kit has all the proper contents.
* Release checklist
- Test on:
- Pythons 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 3.1
- Version number in coverage/__init__.py
- 3.1a1, 3.1b1, 3.1c1, 3.1
- Update CHANGES, including release date.
- Update docstring in setup.py, including "New in x.y:"
- Update docs
- Version, date, and changes in doc/changes.rst
- Version and date in doc/index.rst
- Generate new sample_html to get the latest, incl footer version number:
coverage run cogapp\test_cogapp.py CogTestsInMemory
coverage html -i -d htmlcov
copy htmlcov\*.* C:\ned\coverage\trunk\doc\sample_html
- Build and publish docs:
$ make px publish
- source .tgz and windows .exe for each Python
- $ allkits.cmd
- Update PyPi:
- $ make pypi
- Visit http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=pkg_edit&name=coverage :
- Upload kits
- Label the source kit with "Use this for either Python 2.x or 3.x "
- show/hide the proper versions.
- Tag the tree
- hg tag -m "Coverage 3.0.1" coverage-3.0.1
- Update nedbatchelder.com
- Blog post?
- Update bitbucket:
- Issue tracker should get new version number in picker.
- Announce on TIP.