This is a list of key features which WinMerge 3.x should support:
These are the most important things to have:
- simple folder compare / synchronization
- Compare two files in side by side panes
- Highlighting of differences (lines) in the file viewer
- Easy difference navigation
- Open dialog with file selectors
- Cross-platform support
- Unicode files support
- Localizable interface (using Qt localization system)
- Command line support, which gives us some ability to do some simple integration
Optional / Later
- Editable content in file compare
- Filtering (in folder compare for items, in file compare for lines / diffs)
- Syntax highlighting
- Folder compare
- Advanced editor features
- Source control integration
- kimmov : I'm only interested in offering WinMerge as compare/merge tool for other programs - meaning we'd have flexible command line interface for such use
- Zip support?
- Binary editor?
- Sub-line differences?
- kimmov : This is tricky even if we use implementation from WinMerge 2.x. I'd leave it for later.
- Document navigator pane?
- kimmov : This also might be a bit tricky at first.