This page lists changes in various versions of Wakan, in historical order. For changes in versions earlier than 1.67, see old history page.
Redesigned kanji search panel - share your thoughts
Dictionary and component downloader with auto-import
Streamlined manual dictionary import
- Links and copy formats for both kanji and words are now stored as standard XSLT and LNK files
- Modern font support (Meiryo, Yu Mincho/Gothic and others)
- Support for ENAMDICT tags
- Added Palladium cyrillization of Chinese
- Fixed Pinyin and Bopomofo tone display
- More uniform font usage throughout the app
wakan.chr format changed. Wakan 1.87+ cannot load older
wakan.chr, and Wakan <= 1.87 cannot load new ones.
wakan.chrformat -- older
wakan.chrs won't load.
- New compatible
wakan.chrwith latest information from KANJIDIC and Unihan included.
- You can now make your own language versions of
wakan.chr(although this is a little clumsy). Go to
Settings-> Database managment-> Import character data.
Redesigned KanjiDetails with less visual clutter, cleaner categories (older combobox is also available).
"Word examples" button in Kanji details.
- Custom links for kanji and expressions.
Ctrl-C in dictionary lets you copy results in different formats — right-click dictionary results.
Unified JP->EN, EN->JP lookup in dictionary
Redesigned transliteration selection, you can now create custom romaji systems.
Since Wakan 1.67 to Wakan 1.85
Warning: Dictionary format changed. Wakan 1.80+ can load older dictionaries, but new dictionaries will not load in older Wakans.
- New dictionary format with full support for EDICT2 (multi-kana multi-kanji multi-sense articles), full multi-lingual support.
- EDICT2 import
- CC-EDICT import 1.8.17
- Auto-import and auto-update for dictionaries. Just place the latest EDICT/EDICT2/CEDICT/etc file in the Wakan folder.
- Multilingual dict support. You can now import versions of EDICT in your local language (i.e. japanese->czech).
- Dynamic priority for dictionaries (reorder your dictionaries in dictionary manager)
- Import non-English language KANJIDIC (Settings> Database> Import char data) (parts of Issue
- Greatly increased translation speed. A text which took Wakan 1.67 6 minutes to translate now takes about 4 seconds.
- Multithreaded translation feature (further speedup)
- Option to disable "You're about to translate a long text fragment" warning.
- You can now abort the translation process at any time.
- Aozora-Ruby support. Load or paste text with aozora-ruby and it'll be displayed with ruby above the text. Save auto-generated readings in Aozora-Ruby format and read the text in your favorite aozora-bunko reader.
- Export as HTML with Ruby (Issue
#24), OpenDocument Text with Ruby (opens in LibreOffice) (Issue #113), kanji+kana with spaces (Issue #58) 1.8.16
- Copy as HTML (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V into Word with Ruby), annotated text as text with ruby (Ctrl-Shift-C) (Issue
- Copy text with translations between Wakan instances (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V in another Wakan) (Issue
- Kanji list now refreshes several times faster.
- Faster loading, up to 8 times compared to Wakan 1.67, even with big user vocabularies.
- Fullscreen Mode (press F11)
- Option to not show splash screen on start.
- CommandLine enhancements:
- You can open files for editing by passing them to Wakan.
- Dictionaries can be imported from the command line.
- Nicer settings dialog, more pages and more logical grouping of options
- Dictionary tag list updated to the lastes one for EDICT.
- Dictionary tags translation. It is now possible to have all those "pop" and "adj-na" tags in your native language.
- Raine radicals list updated to the latest version.
- Option to disable "Do you want to save changes?" warning.
- Option to disable automatic priority adjustment based on what you type (no more "User data changed" messages after editing a text).
- Portable Wakan (Issue
#108, Issue #19) 1.8.15 - See Portable
- Multi-select kanji and mass-add to groups (Issue
- Any font size in Editor (Issue
- Category manager, merge and duplicate categories (Issue
- Option to save search params\save column widths on exit (Issue
- Allow resizing for some panels (Issue
- Portrait layout (Tools> Portrait mode) (Issue
Bugfixes and misc
- WordIndex and CharIndex are incorrectly reported as missing when dictionary isn't loaded.
- Do not write wakan.lay since it's not being read anymore
- Temporary data in
annot\not being deleted
- Text editor: Finalize insert before selecting all (Ctrl-A)
- Wakan resets currently selected group in KanjiDetails from time to time
- Reload kanji details when cancelling user changes
user\char*.binfiles being left in Wakan folder
- Flicker when selecting text/scrolling through selected text in the editor.
- Last, partially visible line in the editor is not drawn
- First paragraph not being rendered correctly when visible only partially
- Process messages while displaying the translation progress
- Dictionary manager, Settings now close by ESC key
- Progress bar for import/export vocab (Issue
- Popup hint might make vocabulary edits go to the wrong word (Issue
- Shift-Click does not select text in the editor (Issue
- Text selection in several controls is buggy (Issue
- Fonts are not auto-detected properly when Japanese locale is active (Issue
- wakan.exe -- recompiled
- en.lng -- added translation lines
- ru.lng -- added translation lines, corrected translation
- all languages -- minor changes
- wakan.rad -- radical list updated from RADKFILE
- wakan.sod -- recompiled
- wakan.cfg -- kana conversion params added, format of various sections changed
- wakan.ini -- added, optional
- 7z.dll -- added, needed for exporting in OpenDocument, also for auto-downloading