Changes between 1.1.1 and 1.1.0
- introduce automatic plugin registration via 'pytest11'
entrypoints via setuptools' pkg_resources.iter_entry_points
- fix py.test dist-testing to work with execnet >= 1.0.0b4
- re-introduce py.test.cmdline.main() for better backward compatibility
- svn paths: fix a bug with path.check(versioned=True) for svn paths,
allow '%' in svn paths, make svnwc.update() default to interactive mode
like in 1.0.x and add svnwc.update(interactive=False) to inhibit interaction.
- refine distributed tarball to contain test and no pyc files
- try harder to have deprecation warnings for py.compat.* accesses
report a correct location
Changes between 1.1.0 and 1.0.2
* adjust and improve docs
* remove py.rest tool and internal namespace - it was
never really advertised and can still be used with
the old release if needed. If there is interest
it could be revived into its own tool i guess.
* fix issue48 and issue59: raise an Error if the module
from an imported test file does not seem to come from
the filepath - avoids "same-name" confusion that has
been reported repeatedly
* merged Ronny's nose-compatibility hacks: now
nose-style setup_module() and setup() functions are
* introduce generalized py.test.mark function marking
* reshuffle / refine command line grouping
* deprecate parser.addgroup in favour of getgroup which creates option group
* add --report command line option that allows to control showing of skipped/xfailed sections
* generalized skipping: a new way to mark python functions with skipif or xfail
at function, class and modules level based on platform or sys-module attributes.
* extend py.test.mark decorator to allow for positional args
* introduce and test "py.cleanup -d" to remove empty directories
* fix issue #59 - robustify unittest test collection
* make bpython/help interaction work by adding an __all__ attribute
to ApiModule, cleanup initpkg
* use MIT license for pylib, add some contributors
* remove py.execnet code and substitute all usages with 'execnet' proper
* fix issue50 - cached_setup now caches more to expectations
for test functions with multiple arguments.
* merge Jarko's fixes, issue #45 and #46
* add the ability to specify a path for py.lookup to search in
* fix a funcarg cached_setup bug probably only occuring
in distributed testing and "module" scope with teardown.
* many fixes and changes for making the code base python3 compatible,
many thanks to Benjamin Peterson for helping with this.
* consolidate builtins implementation to be compatible with >=2.3,
add helpers to ease keeping 2 and 3k compatible code
* deprecate py.compat.doctest|subprocess|textwrap|optparse
* deprecate py.magic.autopath, remove py/magic directory
* move pytest assertion handling to py/code and a pytest_assertion
plugin, add "--no-assert" option, deprecate py.magic namespaces
in favour of (less) py.code ones.
* consolidate and cleanup py/code classes and files
* cleanup py/misc, move tests to bin-for-dist
* introduce delattr/delitem/delenv methods to py.test's monkeypatch funcarg
* consolidate py.log implementation, remove old approach.
* introduce py.io.TextIO and py.io.BytesIO for distinguishing between
text/unicode and byte-streams (uses underlying standard lib io.*
* make py.unittest_convert helper script available which converts "unittest.py"
style files into the simpler assert/direct-test-classes py.test/nosetests
style. The script was written by Laura Creighton.
* simplified internal localpath implementation
Changes between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2
* fixing packaging issues, triggered by fedora redhat packaging,
also added doc, examples and contrib dirs to the tarball.
* added a documentation link to the new django plugin.
Changes between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1
* added a 'pytest_nose' plugin which handles nose.SkipTest,
nose-style function/method/generator setup/teardown and
tries to report functions correctly.
* capturing of unicode writes or encoded strings to sys.stdout/err
work better, also terminalwriting was adapted and somewhat
unified between windows and linux.
* improved documentation layout and content a lot
* added a "--help-config" option to show conftest.py / ENV-var names for
all longopt cmdline options, and some special conftest.py variables.
renamed 'conf_capture' conftest setting to 'option_capture' accordingly.
* fix issue #27: better reporting on non-collectable items given on commandline
(e.g. pyc files)
* fix issue #33: added --version flag (thanks Benjamin Peterson)
* fix issue #32: adding support for "incomplete" paths to wcpath.status()
* "Test" prefixed classes are *not* collected by default anymore if they
have an __init__ method
* monkeypatch setenv() now accepts a "prepend" parameter
* improved reporting of collection error tracebacks
* simplified multicall mechanism and plugin architecture,
renamed some internal methods and argnames
Changes between 1.0.0b9 and 1.0.0
* more terse reporting try to show filesystem path relatively to current dir
* improve xfail output a bit
Changes between 1.0.0b8 and 1.0.0b9
* cleanly handle and report final teardown of test setup
* fix svn-1.6 compat issue with py.path.svnwc().versioned()
(thanks Wouter Vanden Hove)
* setup/teardown or collection problems now show as ERRORs
or with big "E"'s in the progress lines. they are reported
and counted separately.
* dist-testing: properly handle test items that get locally
collected but cannot be collected on the remote side - often
due to platform/dependency reasons
* simplified py.test.mark API - see keyword plugin documentation
* integrate better with logging: capturing now by default captures
test functions and their immediate setup/teardown in a single stream
* capsys and capfd funcargs now have a readouterr() and a close() method
(underlyingly py.io.StdCapture/FD objects are used which grew a
readouterr() method as well to return snapshots of captured out/err)
* make assert-reinterpretation work better with comparisons not
returning bools (reported with numpy from thanks maciej fijalkowski)
* reworked per-test output capturing into the pytest_iocapture.py plugin
and thus removed capturing code from config object
* item.repr_failure(excinfo) instead of item.repr_failure(excinfo, outerr)
Changes between 1.0.0b7 and 1.0.0b8
* pytest_unittest-plugin is now enabled by default
* introduced pytest_keyboardinterrupt hook and
refined pytest_sessionfinish hooked, added tests.
* workaround a buggy logging module interaction ("closing already closed
files"). Thanks to Sridhar Ratnakumar for triggering.
* if plugins use "py.test.importorskip" for importing
a dependency only a warning will be issued instead
of exiting the testing process.
* many improvements to docs:
- refined funcargs doc , use the term "factory" instead of "provider"
- added a new talk/tutorial doc page
- better download page
- better plugin docstrings
- added new plugins page and automatic doc generation script
* fixed teardown problem related to partially failing funcarg setups
(thanks MrTopf for reporting), "pytest_runtest_teardown" is now
always invoked even if the "pytest_runtest_setup" failed.
* tweaked doctest output for docstrings in py modules,
Changes between 1.0.0b3 and 1.0.0b7
* renamed py.test.xfail back to py.test.mark.xfail to avoid
two ways to decorate for xfail
* re-added py.test.mark decorator for setting keywords on functions
(it was actually documented so removing it was not nice)
* remove scope-argument from request.addfinalizer() because
request.cached_setup has the scope arg. TOOWTDI.
* perform setup finalization before reporting failures
* apply modified patches from Andreas Kloeckner to allow
test functions to have no func_code (#22) and to make
"-k" and function keywords work (#20)
* apply patch from Daniel Peolzleithner (issue #23)
* resolve issue #18, multiprocessing.Manager() and
* make __name__ == "__channelexec__" for remote_exec code
Changes between 1.0.0b1 and 1.0.0b3
* plugin classes are removed: one now defines
hooks directly in conftest.py or global pytest_*.py
* added new pytest_namespace(config) hook that allows
to inject helpers directly to the py.test.* namespace.
* documented and refined many hooks
* added new style of generative tests via
pytest_generate_tests hook that integrates
well with function arguments.
Changes between 0.9.2 and 1.0.0b1
* introduced new "funcarg" setup method,
* introduced plugin architecuture and many
new py.test plugins, see
* teardown_method is now guaranteed to get
called after a test method has run.
* new method: py.test.importorskip(mod,minversion)
will either import or call py.test.skip()
* completely revised internal py.test architecture
* new py.process.ForkedFunc object allowing to
fork execution of a function to a sub process
and getting a result back.
XXX lots of things missing here XXX
Changes between 0.9.1 and 0.9.2
* refined installation and metadata, created new setup.py,
now based on setuptools/ez_setup (thanks to Ralf Schmitt
for his support).
* improved the way of making py.* scripts available in
windows environments, they are now added to the
Scripts directory as ".cmd" files.
* py.path.svnwc.status() now is more complete and
uses xml output from the 'svn' command if available
* fix for py.path.svn* to work with svn 1.5
* fix path.relto(otherpath) method on windows to
use normcase for checking if a path is relative.
* py.test's traceback is better parseable from editors
(follows the filenames:LINENO: MSG convention)
(thanks to Osmo Salomaa)
should work more reliably now
* removed previously accidentally added
py.test.broken and py.test.notimplemented helpers.
* there now is a py.__version__ attribute
Changes between 0.9.0 and 0.9.1
This is a fairly complete list of changes between 0.9 and 0.9.1, which can
serve as a reference for developers.
* allowing + signs in py.path.svn urls 
* fixed support for Failed exceptions without excinfo in py.test 
* added support for killing processes for Windows (as well as platforms that
support os.kill) in py.misc.killproc 
* added setup/teardown for generative tests to py.test 
* added detection of FAILED TO LOAD MODULE to py.test [40703, 40738, 40739]
* fixed problem with calling .remove() on wcpaths of non-versioned files in
* fixed some import and inheritance issues in py.test [41480, 44648, 44655]
* fail to run greenlet tests when pypy is available, but without stackless
* small fixes in rsession tests 
* fixed issue with 2.5 type representations in py.test [45483, 45484]
* made that internal reporting issues displaying is done atomically in py.test
* made that non-existing files are igored by the py.lookup script 
* improved exception name creation in py.test 
* made that less threads are used in execnet [merge in 45539]
* removed lock required for atomical reporting issue displaying in py.test
* removed globals from execnet [45541, 45547]
* refactored cleanup mechanics, made that setDaemon is set to 1 to make atexit
get called in 2.5 (py.execnet) 
* fixed bug in joining threads in py.execnet's servemain 
* refactored py.test.rsession tests to not rely on exact output format anymore
* using repr() on test outcome 
* added 'Reason' classes for py.test.skip() [45648, 45649]
* killed some unnecessary sanity check in py.test.collect 
* avoid using os.tmpfile() in py.io.fdcapture because on Windows it's only
usable by Administrators 
* added support for locking and non-recursive commits to py.path.svnwc 
* locking files in py.execnet to prevent CPython from segfaulting 
* added export() method to py.path.svnurl
* fixed -d -x in py.test 
* fixed argument concatenation problem in py.path.svnwc 
* restore py.test behaviour that it exits with code 1 when there are failures
* don't fail on html files that don't have an accompanying .txt file 
* fixed 'utestconvert.py < input' 
* small fix for code indentation in py.code.source 
* fix _docgen.py documentation building 
* improved checks for source representation of code blocks in py.test 
* added support for passing authentication to py.path.svn* objects [52000,
* removed sorted() call for py.apigen tests in favour of .sort() to support
Python 2.3