Working on the lua stuff I noticed that my 1100D would crash if I loaded more than about 2 or 3 scripts. This issue appears to be due to the memory backend (lua uses a fair amount of memory). The crash seems to happen when the malloc allocator runs out of memory. Watching the free memory page, malloc drops down to ~64k remaining then the crash happens. No log or anything, just a hard freeze, though one time (out of say maybe 20 times) I did get an err70 right before the hard freeze.
On my 60D everything works as expected, malloc starts getting used up, then when malloc is almost gone, the allocations start coming from AllocateMemory and everything continues on fine using memory from AllocateMemory.