* Issue #13: TypeError on Python 3 when constructing PeriodicCommand (and thus
* Fixed regression created in 7.0 where PeriodicCommandFixedDelay would only
cause the first command to be scheduled, but not subsequent ones.
* Moved scheduled command classes to irc.schedule module. Kept references for
* PeriodicCommand now raises a ValueError if it's created with a negative or
zero delay (meaning all subsequent commands are immediately due). This fixes
* Renamed the parameters to the IRC object. If you use a custom event loop
and your code constructs the IRC object with keyword parameters, you will
need to update your code to use the new names, so::
IRC(fn_to_add_socket=adder, fn_to_remove_socket=remover, fn_to_add_timeout=timeout)
IRC(on_connect=adder, on_disconnect=remover, on_schedule=timeout)
If you don't use a custom event loop or you pass the parameters
positionally, no change is necessary.
* Fixed some unhandled exceptions in server client connections when the client
would disconnect in response to messages sent after select was called.
* Moved `LineBuffer` and `DecodingLineBuffer` from client to buffer module.
Backward-compatible references have been kept for now.
* Removed daemon mode and log-to-file options for server.
* Miscellaneous bugfixes in server.
* Fix error in 2to3 conversion on irc/server.py (issue #11).
The IRC library is now licensed under the MIT license.
* Added irc/server.py, based on hircd by Ferry Boender.
* Added support for CAP command (pull request #10), thanks to Danneh Oaks.
Another backward-incompatible change. In irc 5.0, many of the unnecessary
getter functions have been removed and replaced with simple attributes. This
change addresses issue #2. In particular:
- Connection._get_socket() -> Connection.socket (including subclasses)
- Event.eventtype() -> Event.type
- Event.source() -> Event.source
- Event.target() -> Event.target
- Event.arguments() -> Event.arguments
The `nm_to_*` functions were removed. Instead, use the NickMask class
These deprecated function aliases were removed from irc.client::
- parse_nick_modes -> modes.parse_nick_modes
- parse_channel_modes -> modes.parse_channel_modes
- generated_events -> events.generated
- protocol_events -> events.protocol
- numeric_events -> events.numeric
- all_events -> events.all
- irc_lower -> strings.lower
Also, the parameter name when constructing an event was renamed from
`eventtype` to simply `type`.
* Removed deprecated arguments to ServerConnection.connect. See notes on the
3.3 release on how to use the connect_factory parameter if your application
requires ssl, ipv6, or other connection customization.
* Filter out disconnected sockets when processing input.
* Created two new exceptions in `irc.client`: `MessageTooLong` and
* Use explicit exceptions instead of ValueError when sending data.
* SingleServerIRCBot now accepts keyword arguments which are passed through
to the `ServerConnection.connect` method. One can use this to use SSL for
factory = irc.connection.Factory(wrapper=ssl.wrap_socket)
bot = irc.bot.SingleServerIRCBot(..., connect_factory = factory)
* Issue #6: Fix AttributeError when legacy parameters are passed to
* Issue #7: Fix TypeError on `iter(LineBuffer)`.
3.4 never worked - the decoding customization feature was improperly
implemented and never tested.
* The ServerConnection now allows custom classes to be supplied to customize
the decoding of incoming lines. For example, to disable the decoding of
replace the `buffer_class` on the ServerConnection with a version that
passes through the lines directly::
irc.client.ServerConnection.buffer_class = irc.client.LineBuffer
This fixes #5.
* Added `connection` module with a Factory for creating socket connections.
* Added `connect_factory` parameter to the ServerConnection.
It's now possible to create connections with custom SSL parameters or other
socket wrappers. For example, to create a connection with a custom SSL cert::
irc = irc.client.IRC()
server = irc.server()
wrapper = functools.partial(ssl.wrap_socket, ssl_cert=my_cert())
server.connect(connect_factory = irc.connection.Factory(wrapper=wrapper))
With this release, many of the parameters to `ServerConnection.connect` are
Instead, one should pass the appropriate values to a `connection.Factory`
instance and pass that factory to the .connect method. Backwards-compatibility
will be maintained for these parameters until the release of irc 4.0.
* Restore Python 2.6 compatibility.
* Protect from UnicodeDecodeError when decoding data on the wire when data is
not properly encoded in ASCII or UTF-8.
* Additional branch protected by mutex.
* Implemented thread safety via a reentrant lock guarding shared state in IRC
* Fix some issues with bytes/unicode on Python 3
* Distribute using setuptools rather than paver.
* Minor tweaks for Python 3 support. Now installs on Python 3.
* Added error checking when sending a message - for both message length and
embedded carriage returns. Fixes #4.
* Updated README.
* Improved Unicode support. Fixes failing tests and errors lowering Unicode
* Issue #3541414 - The ServerConnection and DCCConnection now encode any
strings as UTF-8 before transmitting.
* Issue #3527371 - Updated strings.FoldedCase to support comparison against
objects of other types.
* Shutdown the sockets before closing.
Applications that are currently encoding unicode as UTF-8 before passing the
strings to `ServerConnection.send_raw` need to be updated to send Unicode
This release officially deprecates 2.0.1-2.0.3 in favor of 3.0.
* Re-release of irc 2.0 (without the changes from 2.0.1-2.0.3) for
correct compatibility indication.
* DelayedCommands now use the local time for calculating 'at' and 'due'
times. This will be more friendly for simple servers. Servers that expect
UTC times should either run in UTC or override DelayedCommand.now to
return an appropriate time object for 'now'. For example::
irc.client.DelayedCommand.now = irc.client.DelayedCommand.utcnow
* Added irc.client.PeriodicCommandFixedDelay. Schedule this command
to have a function executed at a specific time and then at periodic
* Removed `irclib` and `ircbot` legacy modules.
* Fix file saving using dccreceive.py on Windows. Fixes #2863199.
* Created NickMask class from nm_to_* functions. Now if a source is
a NickMask, one can access the .nick, .host, and .user attributes.
* Use correct attribute for saved connect args. Fixes #3523057.
* Added ServerConnection.reconnect method. Fixes #3515580.
* Added missing events. Fixes #3515578.
* Moved functionality from irclib module to irc.client module.
* Moved functionality from ircbot module to irc.bot module.
* Retained irclib and ircbot modules for backward-compatibility. These
will be removed in 1.0.
* Renamed project to simply 'irc'.
To support the new module structure, simply replace references to the irclib
module with irc.client and ircbot module with irc.bot. This project will
support that interface through all versions of irc 1.x, so if you've made
these changes, you can safely depend on `irc >= 0.7, <2.0dev`.
* Fixed failing test where DelayedCommands weren't being sorted properly.
DelayedCommand a now subclass of the DateTime object, where the command's
due time is the datetime. Fixed issue #3518508.
* Fixed incorrect usage of Connection.execute_delayed (again).
* Minimum Python requirement is now Python 2.6. Python 2.3 and earlier should use 0.5.0
* Removed incorrect usage of Connection.execute_delayed. Added Connection.execute_every.
Fixed issue 3516241.
* Use new-style classes.