vulture - Find dead code
vulture finds unused classes, functions and variables in your code. This helps you cleanup and find errors in your programs. If you run it on both your library and test suite you can find untested code.
Due to Python's dynamic nature it is impossible to find all dead code for a static code analyzer like vulture, because it ignores scopes and scans only token names. Additionally, some dynamic items that are not explicitly called in the code may be incorrectly reported as dead code.
- Fast: Uses static code analysis
- Lightweight: Only one module
- Tested: Comes with a test suite and tests itself
- Complements pyflakes and has the same output syntax
- Supports Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.x
$ pip install -U vulture
$ vulture --help
After you have found and deleted dead code, run vulture again, because it may discover more dead code. You can list false-positives (used code that is marked as unused) in a python module and add it to the list of scanned paths (see whitelist.py).
- vulture can be used together with pyflakes
- The coverage module can find unused code more reliably, but requires all branches of the code to actually be run.
Your feedback is more than welcome. Write emails to email@example.com or post bugs and feature or pull requests on bitbucket:
The source code is available on bitbucket. Fork away!