Owlready (previously named Ontopy) is a module for ontology-oriented programming in Python 3.
Note: Owlready is deprecated in favor to the new version, Owlready2:
http://bitbucket.org/jibalamy/owlready2 (development version)
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Owlready2 (stable version)
- Import and export OWL 2.0 ontologies in the OWL/XML format (other file formats are not yet supported).
- Manipulates ontology classes, instances and properties transparently, as if they were normal Python objects.
- Add Python methods to ontology classes.
- Perform automatic classification of classes and instances, using the HermiT reasoner.
- Automatically generate dialog boxes for editing ontology instances, using Editobj3.
Owlready has been created by Jean-Baptiste Lamy at the LIMICS reseach lab. It is available under the GNU LGPL licence v3. If you use Owlready in scientific works, please cite the following article:
Lamy JB. Owlready: Ontology-oriented programming in Python with automatic classification and high level constructs for biomedical ontologies. Artificial Intelligence In Medicine 2017;80C:11-28
In case of troubles, questions or comments, please use this Forum/Mailing list: http://owlready.8326.n8.nabble.com
What can I do with Owlready?
Load an ontology from a local repository, or from Internet:
>>> from owlready import * >>> onto_path.append("/path/to/your/local/ontology/repository") >>> onto = get_ontology("http://www.lesfleursdunormal.fr/static/_downloads/pizza_onto.owl") >>> onto.load()
Create new classes in the ontology, possibly mixing OWL restrictions and Python methods:
>>> class NonVegetarianPizza(onto.Pizza): ... equivalent_to = [ ... onto.Pizza ... & ( restriction("has_topping", SOME, onto.MeatTopping) ... | restriction("has_topping", SOME, onto.FishTopping) ... ) ] ... def eat(self): print("Beurk! I'm vegetarian!")
Access ontology class, and create new instances / individuals:
>>> onto.Pizza pizza_onto.Pizza >>> test_pizza = onto.Pizza("test_pizza_owl_identifier") >>> test_pizza.has_topping = [ onto.CheeseTopping(), ... onto.TomatoTopping(), ... onto.MeatTopping () ]
Export to OWL/XML file:
Perform reasoning, and classify instances and classes:
>>> test_pizza.__class__ onto.Pizza >>> # Execute HermiT and reparent instances and classes >>> onto.sync_reasoner() >>> test_pizza.__class__ onto.NonVegetarianPizza >>> test_pizza.eat() Beurk! I'm vegetarian !
For more documentation, look at the doc/ and doc/examples/ directories in the source.
- Fix sync_reasonner and Hermit call under windows (thanks Clare Grasso)
- Add warnings
- Accepts ontologies files that do not ends with '.owl'
- Fix a bug when loading ontologies including concept without a '#' in their IRI
- Add link to Owlready2 and Nabble forum/mailing list
- Add load_ontology_from_file()
- Add unload_all_ontologies()
- Remove debug file /tmp/sortie_hermit.txt
- Add Artificial Intelligence In Medicine scientific article in doc and Readme