Cartridge is a shopping cart application built using the Django framework. It is BSD licensed and designed to provide you with a clean and simple base for developing e-commerce websites. It purposely does not include every conceivable feature an e-commerce website could potentially use, instead focusing on providing only the core features that are common to every e-commerce website.
This specific focus stems from the idea that every e-commerce website is different, tailoring to the particular business and products at hand, and should therefore be as easy as possible to customize. Cartridge achieves this goal with a code-base that implements only the core features of an e-commerce site, therefore remaining as simple as possible.
- Hierarchical categories
- Easily configurable product options (colours, sizes, etc.)
- Hooks for shipping calculations and payment gateway
- Sale pricing
- Promotional discount codes
- PDF invoice generation (for packing slips)
- Stock control
- Product popularity
- Thumbnail generation
- Built-in test suite
- Separation of presentation (no embedded markup)
- Smart categories (by price range, colour, etc)
- Registered or anonymous checkout
- Configurable nunber of checkout steps
- Denormalised data for accessiblilty and performance
Cartridge is designed as a plugin for the Mezzanine content management platform and us such requires it to be installed. By following the installation instructions below this should occur automatically.
$ pip install -U cartridge
$ easy_install -U cartridge
Otherwise you can download Cartridge and install it directly from source:
$ python setup.py install
Once installed, the command mezzanine-project should be available via Mezzanine, which can be used for creating a new Cartridge project in a similar fashion to django-admin.py:
$ mezzanine-project -a cartridge project_name
You can then run your project with the usual Django steps:
$ cd project_name $ python manage.py createdb --noinput $ python manage.py runserver
The createdb command performs the same task as Django's syncdb command, and also handles setting the initial migration state for `South`_.
You should then be able to browse to http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/ and log in using the default account (username: admin, password: default). If you'd like to specify a different username and password during set up, simply exclude the --noinput option included above when running createdb.
Cartridge is an open source project that is managed using both Git and Mercurial version control systems. These repositories are hosted on both Github and Bitbucket respectively, so contributing is as easy as forking the project on either of these sites and committing back your enhancements.
Please note the following points around contributing:
- Contributed code must be written in the existing style. This is as simple as following the Django coding style and most importantly PEP 8.
- Run the tests before committing your changes. If your changes causes the tests to break, they won't be accepted.
- If you're adding new functionality, you must include basic tests and documentation.
If you would like to make a donation to continue development of the project, you can do so via the Mezzanine website.