- nose now runs under jython (jython svn trunk only at this time). Thanks to
Philip Jenvey, Pam Zerbinos and the other pycon sprinters (#160).
- Fixed bugs in loader, default plugin manager, and other modules that
caused plugin exceptions to be swallowed (#152, #155). Thanks to John J
Lee for the bug report and patch.
- Added selftest.py script, used to test a non-installed distribution of
nose (#49). Thanks to Antoine Pitrou and John J Lee for the bug report and
- Fixed bug in nose.importer that caused errors with namespace
packages. Thanks to Philip Jenvey for the bug report and patch (#164).
- Fixed bug in nose.tools.with_setup that prevented use of multiple
@with_setup decorators. Thanks to tlesher for the bug report (#151).
- Fixed bugs in handling of context fixtures for tests imported into a
package. Thanks to Gary Bernhardt for the bug report (#145).
- Fixed bugs in handling of config files and config file options for plugins
excluded by a RestrictedPluginManager. Thanks to John J Lee and Philip
Jenvey for the bug reports and patches (#158, #166).
- Updated ErrorClass exception reporting to be shorter and more clear. Thanks
to John J Lee for the patch (#142).
- Allowed plugins to load tests from modules starting with '_'. Thanks to John
J Lee for the patch (#82).
- Updated documentation about building as rpm (#127).
- Updated config to make including executable files the default on
IronPython as well as on Windows. Thanks to sanxiyn for the bug
report and patch (#183).
- Fixed a python 2.3 incompatibility in errorclass_failure.rst
(#173). Thanks to Philip Jenvey for the bug report and patch.
- Classes with metaclasses can now be collected as tests (#153).
- Made sure the document tree in the selector plugin test is accurate
and tested (#144). Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report and
- Fixed stack level used when dropping into pdb in a doctest
(#154). Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report and patch.
- Fixed bug in ErrorClassPlugin that made some missing keyword
argument errors obscure (#159). Thanks to Philip Jenvey for the bug
report and patch.
- Fixed bug in capture plugin that caused it to record captured output
on the test in the wrong attribute (#113).
- Fixed bug in result proxy that caused tests to fail if they accessed
certain result attibutes directly (#114). Thanks to Neilen Marais
for the bug report.
- Fixed bug in capture plugin that caused other error formatters
changes to be lost if no output was captured (#124). Thanks to
someone at ilorentz.org for the bug report.
- Fixed several bugs in the nosetests setup command that made some
options unusable and the command itself unusable when no options
were set (#125, #126, #128). Thanks to Alain Poirier for the bug
- Fixed bug in handling of string errors (#130). Thanks to schl... at
uni-oldenburg.de for the bug report.
- Fixed bug in coverage plugin option handling that prevented
--cover-package=mod1,mod2 from working (#117). Thanks to Allen
Bierbaum for the patch.
- Fixed bug in profiler plugin that prevented output from being
produced when output capture was enabled on python 2.5
(#129). Thanks to James Casbon for the patch.
- Fixed bug in adapting 0.9 plugins to 0.10 (#119 part one). Thanks to
John J Lee for the bug report and tests.
- Fixed bug in handling of argv in config and plugin test utilities
(#119 part two). Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report and patch.
- Fixed bug where Failure cases due to invalid test name
specifications were passed to plugins makeTest (#120). Thanks to
John J Lee for the bug report and patch.
- Fixed bugs in doc css that mangled display in small windows. Thanks
to Ben Hoyt for the bug report and Michal Kwiatkowski for the fix.
- Made it possible to pass a list or comma-separated string as
defaultTest to main(). Thanks to Allen Bierbaum for the suggestion
- Fixed a bug in nose.selector and nose.util.getpackage that caused
directories with names that are not legal python identifiers to be
collected as packages (#143). Thanks to John J Lee for the bug
- Fixed bug that broke plugins with names containing underscores or
hyphens. Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report and patch (Issue
- Fixed typo in nose.__all__. Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report.
- Fixed handling of test descriptions that are multiline
docstrings. Thanks to James Casbon for the patch (Issue #50).
- Improved documentation of doctest plugin to make it clear that
entities may have doctests, or themselves be tests, but not
both. Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report and patch (Issue #84).
- Made __file__ available in non-python-module doctests.
- Fixed bug that made it impossible for plugins to exclude package
directories from test discovery (Issue #89). Thanks to John J Lee
for the bug report and patch.
- Fixed bug that swallowed TypeError and AttributeError exceptions
raised in some plugin calls (Issue #95). Thanks to John J Lee for
the bug report.
- Fixed inconsistencies in many interfaces and docs. Thanks to John J
Lee for many bug reports.
- Fixed bugs in rpm generation (Issue #96). Thanks to Mike Verdone for
the bug report and http://bugs.python.org/issue644744 for the fix.
- Fixed inconsisent use of os.environ in plugin testing
utilities. Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report and patch (Issue
- Fixed bug in test_address that prevented use of nose.case.Test in
doctests (Issue #100). Thanks to John J Lee for the bug report.
- Fixed bug in error class plugin that caused string exceptions to be
masked (#Issue 101). Thanks to depaula for the bug report.
- Fixed bugs in tests and the profiler plugin when running under
Windows (Issue #103). Thanks to Sidnei Da Silva for the bug report.
- Fixed bugs in plugin calls that caused exception swallowing (Issue
#107). Thanks to John L Lee for the bug report and patch.
- Added more plugin example doctests. Thanks to Kumar McMillan and
John L Lee for patches and lots of help.
- Changed default location of id file for TestId plugin from ~/.noseids to
.noseids in the configured working directory.
- Added support for a description attribute on tests in function and
method test cases. Most useful for generators: set the description
attribute on the yielded function.
- Fixed incorrect signature of addSuccess() method in
IPluginInterface. Thanks to nosexunit for the bug report. (Issue
- Fixed isclass() function in nose.util so that it will not raise an
exception when examining instances that have no accessible __bases__
attribute. (Issue #65).
- Fixed passing of tests to result; the test itself and not the
wrapper was being passed, resulting in test description plugin hooks
not being called. (Issue #71).
- Fixed bugs in FailureDetail and Capture plugins, and plugin manager
and proxy uses of chainable plugin calls. Thanks to Ian Bicking for
the bug report (Issue #72).
- Improved documentation.
- Changed entry point name to nose.plugins.0.10 -- dashes and other
non-word characters besides . are not allowed in entry point names.
- Fixed loading of plugins from that entry point.
- Fixed backwards-compatibility issue in nose.util (is_generator was
renamed isgenerator). (Issue #64)
- Fixed bug in --logging-config option. Thanks to anton_kr... at yahoo
com for the bug report. (Issue #62)
- Fixed bug in handling of --where argument: first --where was not
passed to loader as workingDir. Thanks to nosexunit for the bug
report. (Issue #63).
- Rewrote test loader to be more drop-in compatible with
unittest.TestLoader and to support a more user-friendly command
- Rewrote test runner and result classes to reduce duplication of effort.
- Revised configuration system to be less convoluted.
- Added nose.case.TestCase as universal wrapper for all
testcases. Plugins always see instances of this class.
- Added a management layer to the plugin system, allowing for easy use
of different plugin loading schemes. The default manager loads
builtin plugins, 0.10 plugins under the setuptools entrypoint
nose.plugins.0-10 and provides limited support for legacy plugins
loaded under the entrypoint nose.plugins.
- Added plugin hooks in all phases of discovery, running and description.
- Converted several formely core features to plugins: output capture,
assert introspection, pdb, and skipped and deprecated test support.
- Added id plugin that allows for easier specification of tests on the
- Added ErrorClassPlugin base class to allow for easier authoring of
plugins that handle errors, like the builtin skipped and deprecated
- Added support for loading doctests from non-module files for all
supported python versions.
- Added score property to plugins to allow plugins to execute in a
defined order (higher score execute first).
- Expanded nose's own test suite to include a variety of functional tests.
- Fixed many bugs.
- Added support for user configuration files. Thanks to Antoine Pitrou for the
- Fixed bug that caused profiler plugin to leak 0-byte temp files. Thanks to
Antoine Pitrou for the patch.
- Made usage of temp files in profiler plugin more sensible. Thanks to Michael
Sclenker for the bug report.
- Fixed bug that stopped loading of twisted TestCase tests. Thanks to Kumar
McMillan for the bug report.
- Corrected man page location. Thanks to luke macken for the bug report and
- Added with_setup to nose.tools.__all__. Thanks to Allen Bierbaum for the bug
- Altered plugin loading so that builtin plugins can be loaded without
setuptools. Thanks to Allen Bierbaum for the suggestion.
- Fixed a bug in the doctests plugin that caused an error when multiple
exclude arguments were specified. Thanks to mbeachy for the bug report and
- Added nosetests setuptools command. Now you can run python setup.py
nosetests and have access to all nose features and plugins. Thanks to James
Casbon for the patch.
- Added make_decorator function to nose.tools. Used to construct decorator
functions that are well-behaved and preserve as much of the original
function's metadata as possible. Thanks to Antoine Pitrou for the patch.
- Added nose.twistedtools, contributed by Antoine Pitrou. This module adds
@deferred decorator that makes it simple to write deferred tests, with or
- Added monkeypatch to doctests that keeps doctest from stepping on coverage
when the two plugins are used together. Thanks to David Avraamides for the
- Added isolation plugin. Use this plugin to automatically restore sys.modules
after each test module or package. Thanks to Michal Kwiatkowski for the
- Fixed bug where -vvvv turned off verbose logging instead of making it even
more verbose. Thanks to Ian Bicking for the bug report.
- Fixed bug where assert inspection would fail when the trailing """ of a
docstring was one of the inspected lines. Thanks to cito at online dot de
for the bug report.
- Updated attrib plugin to allow selection of test methods by attributes of
the test case class. Thanks to Jason Hildebrand for the patch.
- Improved compatibility with python 2.2. Thanks to Chad Whitacre for the
- Fixed bug in handling of options from setup.cfg. Thanks to Kumar McMillan for
- Fixed bug in generator methods, where a generator method using an inline
funciton would result in an AttributeError. Thanks to Antoine Pitrou for the
- Updated coverage plugin to ignore lines tagged with #pragma: no cover,
matching the behavior of coverage.py on the command line. Thanks to Bill
Zingler for the bug report.
- Added a man page for nosetests. Thanks to Gustavo Noronha Silva for the
request and providing an example.
- New function nose.runmodule() finds and runs tests only in a
single module, which defaults to __main__ (like unittest.main() or
doctest.runmodule()). Thanks Greg Wilson for the suggestion.
- Multiple -w (--where) arguments can now be used in one command line,
to find and run tests in multiple locations. Thanks Titus Brown for
- Multiple --include and --exclude arguments are now accepted in one command
line. Thanks Michal Kwiatkowski for the feature request.
- Coverage will now include modules not imported by any test when
using the new --cover-inclusive switch. Thanks James Casbon for the
- module:TestClass test selections now properly select all tests in the test
- startTest and stopTest are now called in plugins at the beginning and end of
test suites, including test modules, as well as individual tests. Thanks
Michal Kwiatkowski for the suggestion.
- Fix bug in test selection when run as ``python setup.py test``: 'test' was
passing through and being used as the test name selection. Thanks Kumar
McMillan for the bug report.
- Fix bug in handling of -x/--stop option where the test run would stop on
skipped or deprecated tests. Thanks Kumar McMillan for the bug report.
- Fix bug in loading tests from projects with layouts that place modules in
/lib or /src dirs and tests in a parallel /tests dir.
- Fix bug in python version detection. Thanks Kevin Dangoor for the bug report
- Fix log message in selector that could raise IndexError. Thanks Kumar
McMillan for the bug report and patch.
- Fix bug in handling doctest extension arguments specified in environment and
on command line. Thanks Ian Bicking for the bug report.
- Fix bug in running fixtures (setup/teardown) that are not functions, and
report a better error message when a fixture is not callable. Thanks Ian
Bicking for the bug report.
- More unit tests and better test coverage. Numerous bugfixes deriving from
- Make --exe option do what it says, and turn it on by default on
Windows. Add --noexe option so windows users can turn if off.Thanks
richard at artsalliancemedia dot com for the bug reports.
- Handle a working directory that happens to be in the middle of a package
more gracefully. Thanks Max Ischenko for the bug report and test case.
- Fix bugs in test name comparison when a test module is specified whose name
overlaps that of a non-test module. Thanks Max Ischenko for the bug report
and test case.
- Fix warning spam when a non-existent test file is requested on the command
line. Thanks Max Ischenko for the bug report.
- Allow --debug to set any logger to DEBUG. Thanks to casbon at gmail dot com for
- Fix doctest help, which was missing notes about the environment variables
that it accepts. Thanks to Kumar McMillan for the patch.
- Restore sys.stdout after run() in nose.core. Thanks to Titus Brown for the
- Correct handling of trailing comma in attrib plugin args. Thanks Titus Brown
for the patch.
- Fix bug in handling of OR conditions in attrib plugin. Thanks to Titus
Brown for the bug report.
- Fix bug in nose.importer that would cause an attribute error when a local
module shadowed a builtin, or other object in sys.modules, without a
__file__ attribute. Thanks to casbon at gmail dot com for the bug report.
- Fix bug in nose.tools decorators that would cause decorated tests to appear
with incorrect names in result output.
- In TestLoader, use inspect's isfunction() and ismethod() to filter functions
and methods, instead of callable(). Thanks to Kumar McMillan for reporting
- Fix doctest plugin: return an empty iterable when no tests are found in a
directory instead of None. Thanks to Kumar McMillan for the bug report and
- Ignore executable python modules, unless run with --exe file. This is a
partial defense against nose causing trouble by loading python modules that
are not import-safe. The full defense: don't write modules that aren't
- Catch and warn about errors on plugin load instead of dying.
- Renamed builtin profile module from nose.plugins.profile to
nose.plugins.prof to avoid shadowing stdlib profile.py module.
- Add support for plugins, with hooks for selecting, loading and reporting on
tests. Doctest and coverage are now plugins.
- Add builtin plugins for profiling with hotshot, selecting tests by
attribute (contributed by Mika Eloranta), and warning of missed tests
specified on command line.
- Change command line test selection syntax to match unittest. Thanks to Titus
Brown for the suggestion.
- Option to drop into pdb on error or failure.
- Option to stop running on first error or failure. Thanks to Kevin Dangoor
for the suggestion.
- Support for doctests in files other than python modules (python 2.4 only)
- Reimplement base test selection as single self-contained class.
- Reimplement test loading as unittest-compatible TestLoader class.
- Remove all monkeypatching.
- Reimplement output capture and assert introspection support in
unittest-compatible Result class.
- Better support for multiline constructions in assert introspection.
- More context output with assert introspections.
- Refactor setuptools test command support to use proxied result, which
enables output capture and assert introspection support without
monkeypatching. Thanks to Philip J. Eby for the suggestion and skeleton
- Add support for generators in test classes. Thanks to Jay Parlar for the
suggestion and patch.
- Add nose.tools package with some helpful test-composition functions and
decorators, including @raises, contributed by Scot Doyle.
- Reimplement nose.main (TestProgram) to have unittest-compatible signature.
- All-new import path handling. You can even turn it off! (If you don't,
nose will ensure that all directories from which it imports anything are on
sys.path before the import.)
- Logging package used for verbose logging.
- Support for skipped and deprecated tests.
- Configuration is no longer global.
- Add support for py.test-style test generators. Thanks to Jay Parlar for
- Fix bug in doctest discovery. Thanks to Richard Cooper for the bug report.
- Fix bug in output capture being appended to later exceptions. Thanks to
Titus Brown for the patch that uncovered the bug.
- Fix bug(?) in Exception patch that caused masked hasattr/__getattr__ loops
to either become actual infinite loops, or at least take so long to finally
error out that they might as well be infinite.
- Add -m option to restrict test running to only tests in a particular package
or module. Like the -f option, -m does not restrict test *loading*, only
- When loading and running a test module, ensure that the module's path is in
sys.path for the duration of the run, not just while importing the module.
- Add id() method to all callable test classes, for greater unittest
- Fix bug with coverage output when sys.modules contains entries without
- Added -p (--cover-packages) switch that may be used to restrict coverage
report to modules in the indicated package(s)
- Output capture and verbose assertion errors now work when run like
'python setup.py test', as advertised.
- Code coverage improvements: now coverage will be output for all modules
imported by any means that were not in sys.modules at the start of the test
run. By default, test modules will be excluded from the coverage report, but
you can include them with the -t (--cover-tests) option.
- Fix bugs in handling of setup/teardown fixtures that could cause TypeError
exceptions in fixtures to be silently ignored, or multiple fixtures of the
same type to run. Thanks to Titus Brown for the bug report.
- Add -V (--version) switch to nosetests
- Fix bug where sys.path would not be set up correctly when running some
tests, producing spurious import errors (Thanks to Titus Brown and Mike
Thomson for the bug reports)
- For test classses not derived from unittest.TestCase, output (module.Class)
"doc string" as test description, when method doc string is available
(Thanks to David Keeney for the suggestion, even if this isn't quite what he
- Revise import to bypass sys.path and manipulate sys.modules more
intelligently, ensuring that the test module we think we are loading is the
module we actually load, and that modules loaded by other imports are not
reloaded without cause
- Allow test directories inside of packages. Formerly directories matching
testMatch but lacking an __init__.py would cause an ImportError when located
inside of packages
- Fix bugs in different handling of -f switch in combination with -w and -o
- Fix bug in main() that resulted in incorrect exit status for nosetests
script when tests fail
- Add missing test files to MANIFEST.in
- Miscellaneous pylint cleanups
- Add doctest support
- Add optional code coverage support, using Ned Batchelder's coverage.py;
activate with --coverage switch or NOSE_COVERAGE environment variable
- More informative error message on import error
- Fix bug where module setup could be called twice and teardown skipped
for certain setup method names.
- main() returns success value, does not exit. run_exit() added to support
old behavior; nosetests script now calls nose.run_exit()
- Fix bus error on exit
- Discover tests inside of non-TestCase classes that match testMatch
- Reorganize selftest: now selftest tests the output of a full nose run
- Add test_with_setup.py contributed by Kumar McMillan
- Refactor and correct bugs in discovery and test loading
- Reorganize and expand documentation
- Add -f (run this test file only) switch
- Bugfix release: test files in root of working directory were not being
stripped of file extension before import.
- Change license to LGPL
- Major rework of output capture and assert introspection
- Improve test discovery: now finds tests in packages
- Replace -n switch ('no cwd') with -w switch ('look here')
- New nosetests script
- Allow specification of names on command line that are loadable but not
directly loadable as modules (eg nosetests -o path/to/tests.py)
- Add optional py.test-like assert introspection. Thanks to Kevin Dangoor
for the suggestion.
- Improvements to selftest
- Increased compatibility with python 2.3 (and maybe earlier)
- Increased compatibility with tests written for py.test: now calls
module.setup_module(module) if module.setup_module() fails