Quake v1.09 and QuakeWorld v2.40 for DOS with WATTCP Stack Original Concept and WATTCP import coding by NeoZeed Coding by [HCI]Mara'akate and sezero
Additional code from uHexen2, taniwha, spoike, LordHavoc, QuakeForge, Fitzquake, QuakeSpasm, Darkplaces and more.
Table of Contents
- What's New
- Known Bugs and Limitations
- Final Thoughts
1. - Introduction
Why code for DOS in 2015 you ask? Pretty much the same reason anybody is coding Quake ports these days... for fun and to learn some programming. This is my first serious project as far as programming goes and I have learned a lot. As each day goes by, QDOS and QWDOS grow more and more in their complexity with new features and bug fixes. I also love knowing all that is sitting between you and Quake is a packet driver, a mouse driver and pure DOS. =)
2. - What's New
QDOS has many features, I can't remember each one that me or others have added but are some highlights:
- External *.ent file support, and entity dumping in-game.
- Fitzquake v666 Protocol support. Thanks to Fitzquake.
- Warp Spasm and other large mods support. Thanks to Fitzquake.
- WATT32 -- Allows you to play QDOS online with a simple packet driver and WATTCP.CFG. Thanks to NeoZeed.
- BSP Version 28 support (Quake Pre-Release). Thanks to Engoo engine guy.
- -NOGUS parameter to disable GUS init. Useful if you have an SB16 and GUS co-existing.
- -NOCD parameter does the same as -NOCDAUDIO, but is quicker to type.
- -SAFEVGA paramater to for 320x200 mode.
- -QUOTH paramater for mods that required Quoth.
- Dynamic strings for most vars. This should help with buffer oveflows. Thanks to QuakeForge crew for helping me implement it.
- Press jump in NOCLIP/Water to move up.
- F_VERSION reply. Thanks to QuakeForge crew.
- Proper timer. Huge thanks to mysterious DJGPP guru.
- Various bug fixes that have been recommended by QuakeForge, LordHavoc, Sezero, and other engine authors.
- Chat buffer -- Press Up/Down or Left/Right arrows to scroll through previously sent chat messages. Thanks to Taniwha for more efficient code.
- Gun model is drawn if FOV > 90.
- Gamespy Server Browser accessible from Multiplayer Menu and with slist2 command. Adapted from Q2DOS.
- BSP2 and 2PSB support. Code (with some slight readaptations) from QuakeSpasm. Additonal help from sezero. These maps may need things like: r_maxedges and r_maxsurfs set to very high values. Try setting both to 25000 and restarting the map if you see disappearing objects as you look around.
- WAV and Ogg Vorbis streaming music support. Put tracks in id1/music/trackXX format.
- Some FitzQuake extensions in QWDOS, like extended limits and chunked downloads.
- HTTP downloading via CURL in QWDOS for QuakeForge servers.
- -cddir for specifiy a cd drive path for pak files. Also for keeping WAV/OGG music in a separate drive.
- 3DFX Voodoo rendering with fxMesa 6.4.2! Check voodoo directory for your glide3x.dxe.
New CVARs and CMDs:
- CL_NODEMO -- Startup demos are disabled > 1.
- CL_UNBINDALL_PROTECTION -- Protects your CVARs from accidentally being cleared from UNBINDALL. Very useful if you use autocomplete and accidentally end up on this CMD!
- CL_WARNCMD -- From QukeWorld, warn if a command is invalid.
- FLASHLIGHT -- Bind this CMD to toggle a dlight around yourself.
- IN_FREELOOK -- Toggle mouse look. Useful so you don't have to +mlook your autoexec.cfg.
- JOY_RECALIBRATE -- CMD to recalibrate the joystick.
- MAX_EDICTS -- Now a CVAR. Default is 2048. Make sure you have enough RAM allocated!
- PQ_FULLPITCH and CL_FULLPITCH support for ProQuake servers.
- S_KHZ -- Read at startup to change the sampling rate of the audio.
- SHOW_TIME -- 1 for 24hr format, 2 for 12hr AM/PM format.
- SHOW_UPTIME -- 1 for Server/Map uptime, 2 for Client uptime.
- SHOW_FPS -- From QuakeWorld, show Frames Per Second.
- SND_RESTART -- CMD to restart the audio driver.
- SV_ALTNOCLIP -- From FitzQuake, alternate style of NOCLIP. Defaults to 1.
- SV_DUMPENTITIES -- Dump entities of current map to /maps gamedir.
- SV_LOADENTFILES -- Load external *.ent files. Defaults to 1.
- SV_PROTOCOL -- 15 for original Quake protocol, 666 for Fitzquake protocol. 666 is default.
- V_CONTENTBLEND -- This function is like gl_polyblend. Set to 0 to disable powerup and damage flashes, etc.
3. - Requirements
Because QDOS has supports for extended limits and other new features, the system requirements are slightly higher compared to original Quake.
If you're going to simply play on QUAKE.SHMACK.NET or stock single player the requirements are the same as original Quake.
However, to take advantage of the Fitzquake protocol and extended limits it is required to have at least 64MB of RAM. Some mods may require more. I'd highly recommend allocating at least 96MB if your system can support this. A Pentium 2 processor is also highly recommended.
To play at extreme SVGA resolutions with acceptable (i.e. >= 40FPS) framerates a P3 ~800MHZ processor or higher is recommended.
Online play over TCP/IP will require a NIC with a Packet Driver and a properly configured WATTCP.CFG in your root /QUAKE directory. IPX, Serial/Modem, and the rare BWTCP driver (for PPP) is still supported. MPATH has not be enabled, you will need to edit the MAKEFILE to compile MPATH because Windows9x does not play nice with the new changes. Do not send bug reports on any bugs that only occur on Windows 9x. They will be ignored!
NOTE: QDOS tries to allocate 32MB by default so you may need to use -MEM 16 if you're on an older machine and trying to play stock Quake.
Stock Quake Play:
- FPU Processor
- 16MB RAM
- VGA Videocard
- MS-DOS v6.00
- Keyboard, Mouse, or Joystick
- Sound Blaster compatible or Gravis UltraSound
- Pentium 2 (P3 ~800MHZ processor for serious SVGA)
- 64MB preferred, 96MB strongly recommended.
- VESA 2.0 videocard.
- MS-DOS v7.00 (Windows 98 with a properly configured MSDOS.SYS and CONFIG.SYS)
4. - Installation
- Extract to your Quake directory
- Load your Packet Driver and Mouse Driver.
- Run QDOS.EXE
- Frag on!
5. - Known Bugs and Limitations
- Limited Win9x support. 3DFX Voodoo builds will not work in Windows.
- Some of the health and ammo boxes in Warp Spasm clip improperly. From what I have read, it appears to be related to a QC issue with rotating these at odd angles.
- QDOS Nehahra support is incomplete: the version 32 sprites, the new coloured explosion effects, and probably a few other things I am forgetting are currently 'stubbed'. The game, however, appears to be playable despite these limitations.
- Gravis Ultrasound cards may not be initialized properly. You can start ULTRAMID -Q. Then run, ULTRAMID -F -Q. This will initialize your card. For a batch script that handles this issue please see: http://dk.toastednet.org/QDOS/GUSFIX.ZIP
6. - Final Thoughts
I highly recommend visiting the Utilities section of http://dk.toastednet.org/QDOS and using UNIRV and FASTVID to greatly increase the video speed in Quake under pure DOS. DOSLFN will also help avoid file renaming conflicts with long file names.
Special thanks to: neozeed, sezero, Taniwha, LordHavoc, and Spoike.
Questions? Comments? Email me email@example.com