Implementation of Obsolete Marker
This document is still in heavy work in progress
Main questions about Obsolete Marker Implementation
What data should be contained in a Marker ?
There is 2 data that must be stored
|object:||the old obsoleted changeset|
|subjects:||list of new changeset. must accept 0, 1 or 2 element at least. Shall it accept more than three ?|
This is probably a good idea to have an unique Identifier, for UI, transfert and access.
id: same as changeset but for marker.
Having audit data will be very usefull. When it get messy you need all the information you can to understand the situation. (could be a group level)
|date:||date of the marker creation|
To go further:
|description:||"Optional reason for the rewrite (generated of added by the user)"|
|tool:||the automated too that made this|
|operation:||Kind of rewritting operation that created the marker (delete, update, split, fold, reordering) To help conflict resolution.|
Any other data ?
Shall we store the marker alone or should be group them ?
Several operation rewrite multiple changeset at once. It may make sense to group marker in this case.
This could be seen as the same improvement than the introduction of coherent "changesets" in Files version control.
This would help exchange and undo.
How shall we store Marker on disk (and in memory) ?
We need to quickly load the 'object' to know the "obsolete" set.
We need quick access by object and subject.
How shall we exchange Marker over the Wire ?
We can have a lot of markers. We do not want to exchange data for the one we already know. Listkey() is not very appropriate there as you get everything.
Moreover, we might want to only hear about Marker that impact changeset we are pulling.
pushkey is not batchable yet (could be fixed)
A dedicated discovery and exchange protocol seems mandatory here.
Various technical details
Some stuff that worse to note. some may deserve their own section later.
storing old changeset
The new general delta format allows a very efficient storage of two very similar changesets. Storing obsolete childrens using general delta takes no more place than storing the obsolete diff. Reverted file will even we reused. The whole operation will take much less space the strip backup.
Abstraction from history rewriting UI
How Mercurial handle obsolete marker is independent from who decide to create them and what actual operation solve error case. Any of the existing history rewriting UI (rebase, mq, histedit) can lay obsolete marker and resolve situation created by other. To go further a hook system of obsolete marker creation would allow each mechanism to collaborate with other though a standard and central mechanism.
Obsolete marker storage
Obsolete marker will most likely be stored outside standard history. They are multiple reasons for that:
First, obsolete markers are really perpendicular to standard history there is not strong reason to include it here other than convenience.
Second, storing obsolete marker inside standard history means:
- A changeset must be created every time an obsolete relation is added. Very inconvenient for delete operation.
- Obsolete marker must be forged at the creation of the new changeset. This is very inconvenient for split operation. And in general it become complicated to fix history afterward in particular when working with older client.
Storing obsolete marker outside history have several pro:
- It ease Exchange of obsolete marker without unnecessary obsolete changeset content
- It allow tuning the actual storage and protocol exchange while maintaining compatibility with older client through the wire (as we do the repository format)
- ease the exchange of obsolete related information during discovery to exchange obsolete changeset relevant to conflict resolution. Exchanging such information deserve a dedicated protocol.
Extinct changeset and obsolete marker will most likely be garbage collected as some point. However, archive server may decide to keep them forever in order to keep a fully auditable history in it's finest conception.
An experimental implementatione exists. What have been done so far.
- 1-1 obsolete marker stored outside history,
- compute obsolete-tip
- obsolete marker exchange through pushkey,
- compute obsolete, unstable, extinct and suspended set.
- hidden extinct changesets for UI.
- Use secret phase to remove from discovery obsolete and unstable changeset (to be improved soon)
- alter rebase to use obsolete marker instead of stripping. (XXX break --keep for now)
- Have an experimental mq-like extension to rewrite history (more on that later)
- Have an extension to update and mq repository according evolution of standard (more on that later)