What is this?
This site pulls data from the Hamilton Fire Service's Twitter account, @HFS_Incidents. I thought it was great that HFS was providing this information, but I wanted to have a better idea where things were happening.
Who made this?
Matt Grande is a software developer from Hamilton, Ontario. He works in C# and Ruby on Rails. He is overweight and has bad hair.
What's the tech running it?
- The site is programmed in C#
- The web framework is ASP.Net MVC 3.0
- Data is stored in RavenDB hosted by RavenHQ
- Hosting is provided by AppHarbor
- The tweets are pulled using the Twitter REST API. Yes, I'm still using Version 1. Yes, I know it's deprecated. Yes, I'm planning on jumping to Version 1.1. No, I'm not looking forward to it.
- Geocoding & maps are provided by the Google Maps Places API.
- Real time updating is provided by SignalR.
- Graphs are provided by HighchartsJS.
- Special thanks to Dylan Vester for his excellent article on creating heat maps with .Net.
How can I help?
Do you have a suggestion for a feature? Stumble across a bug? Either submit a bug, or fix it yourself! Download the code from bitbucket using Mercurial.