mcs – the monticello synchronizer
What is mcs?
mcs is a small tool to synchronize multiple – file or HTTP based – Monticello repositories. Synchronization in this case is nothing more than copying missing versions from one repository to another.
How to use mcs?
mcs is a runnable python package with an easy syntax: It currently supports two sub-commands (copy and list). Examples:
mcs list http://www.squeaksource.com/AST/ lists versions in the online SqueakSource repository. mcs knows some common SqueakSource installations in the world (as the Squeak Installer class does), so you could also write mcs list ss:AST.
mcs copy ss:AST /tmp/ast_repo copies all versions from the online SqueakSource repository to the local ast_repo folder, only copying versions that are not already in the local repository.
The following repository types are supported:
- HTTP and HTTPS repositories: Use the standard URL syntax for those repositories. You can specify your username and password using the form http://username:password@hostname/path/. Be aware that most SqueakSource installations require the trailing slash.
- Known HTTP repositories: Use the syntax alias:project where alias is one of lukas, squeak, squeakfoundation, ss, wiresong and hpi.
- Local repositories: mcs will try to open every URL not matching one of the pattern before as file system paths. You can specify absolute and relative paths, Windows UNC Paths should also work.
If you need credentials to perform actions, you can provide them
- for HTTP repositories in the known way, i.e. http://user:pass@host/path/
- for shortcuts using the syntax shortcut:user:pass@path.
Run mcs help for more information and optional switches.
mcs uses httplib2 for HTTP repositories.
Copyright (c) 2010 Michael Grünewald Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.