Apache 2.0 STATUS:
Last modified at [$Date: 2000/08/17 17:49:04 $]
2.0a6 : ???
2.0a5 : released August 4, 2000
2.0a4 : released June 7, 2000
2.0a3 : released April 28, 2000
2.0a2 : released March 31, 2000
2.0a1 : released March 10, 2000
* Win32: Socket timeout semantics in Win32 APR are slightly
different from Unix semantics. This is mostly due to using
setsockopt(SO_SNDTIMEO | SO_RCVTIMEO) in the Win32
socket routines. The major problem in the current implementation
is that timeouts apply to sending the entire response.
Status: Bill S. is working on this
* All of the bucket types must be implemented. The list can be found
in src/include/ap_buckets.h. May need to implement a bucket type
to mark the end of a subrequest content stream, and one to tell
filters to flush any pending content. See http_protocol.c:
ap_finalize_sub_req_protocol() and ap_rflush()
* Remove Buff and IOL from the code. To do this, a chunking and
translation filter must be written. This allows us to remove BUFF.
IOLs can be removed as soon as somebody gets to it.
* apachectl not being built or installed
* Win32: Get mod_auth_digest working under win32
- APR_HAS_RANDOM should be defined on windows and there is a
lib/apr/misc/win32/rand.c which is basically a copy of what
mod_auth_digest used to use.
* suEXEC doesn't work
Status: Manoj has posted an patch to fix this.
* Win32: Enable the Windows MPM to honor max_requests_per_child
Status: Bill will fix this.
* Win32: Get Apache working on Windows 95/98. The following work
(at least) needs to be done:
- winnt MPM: Fix 95/98 code paths in the winnt MPM. There is some NT
specific code that is still not in NT only code paths
- IOL binds to APR sendfile, implemented with TransmitFile, which
is not available on 95/98.
* Win32: Test access logging with multiple threads. Will the
native file I/O calls serialize automagically like the
CRT calls or do we need to add region locking each time
we access the logs?
* Win32: Complete the revamp the service environment and relocation
into the WinNT MPM. Changes ServerRoot service registry
parameter into ConfigArgs for multiple service startup parameters.
Problems to fix in the revamp: -k shutdown/restart are broken,
signals are not being acknowledged. Close window and shutdown
also seem out of sorts.
OtherBill is working on this
* Win32: fix build/run time environment to remove ApacheCore.dll
linkage from ab.exe and htdigest.exe.
* We need a thread-safe resolver, at least on Unix.
Status: The best known candidate would be something from
Status: Greg asks, "why? doesn't gethostbyname_r() handle this?"
* Modify mod_cgi and mod_cgid to deal with directories. This allows
a lot of directives to be removed from the core.
RELEASE NON-SHOWSTOPPERS BUT WOULD BE REAL NICE TO WRAP THESE UP:
* Combine log_child and piped_log_spawn. Clean up http_log.c.
Common logging API.
* Create unified scoreboard API and implementation shared across
* Document mod_file_cache.
* OS/2: Get loadable modules working again. Requires shared core support
which doesn't appear to be catered for in the current build system.
* OS/2: Make mod_status work for spmt_os2 MPM.
* Build scripts do not recognise AIX 4.2.1 pthreads, so the
pthread MPMs will not build.
* Win32: Enable the winnt MPM to use the new scoreboard API
* Win32: Implement ap_shm_ functions in APR.
* Win32: Win9x console window still won't play nice with the
close window, logoff and shutdown scenarios.
* Win32: Add a simple hold console open patch (wait for close or
the ESC key, with a nice message) if the server died a bad
death (non-zero exit code) in console mode.
* Platforms that do not support fork (primarily Win32 and AS/400)
Consider introducing HAVE_FORK feature macro. Architect start-up code
that avoids initializing all the modules in the parent process on
platforms that do not support fork.
* Go throught the 1.3 Bug DB and research the bugs marked "suspended".
People were told these would be considered for inclusion in Apache 2.0,
it would be nice to actually do so.
* Win32: Migrate the MPM over to use APR thread/process calls. This
would eliminate some code in the Win32 branch that essentially
duplicates what is in APR.
Bill says we need a new procattr, APR_CREATE_SUSPENDED (or
something similar) to direct ap_create_process to create the
process suspended. We also need a call to wake up the suspended
process This may not be able to be implemented everywhere though.
* There are still a number of places in the code where we are
loosing error status (i.e. throwing away the error returned by a
system call and replacing it with a generic error code)
* Win32: Implement reliable piped logs on Windows
* The connection status table is not very efficient. Also, very few stats
are exported to the connection status table (easy to fix), and mod_status
* Mass vhosting version of suEXEC.
* Replace tables with a proper opaque ADT that has pluggable
implementations (including something like the existing data type,
plus hash tables for speed, with options for more later).
Status: fanf is working on this.
* configuration option to use *DBM
Status: Greg +1 (volunteers)
* add SDBM into src/lib/sdbm/ as a default/fallback DBM implementation.
SDBM is used by Perl, mod_dav, mod_sssl, others for basic DBM support.
Status: Greg +1 (volunteers)
* Integrate mod_dav.
Status: works. passes initial regression testing. Joe Orton
reports success with his "cadaver" tool.
Some additional items remaining:
- case_preserved_filename stuff
- fix and re-enable sdbm_lock.c
- find a new home for ap_text(_header)
- is it possible to remove the DAV: namespace stuff from util_xml?
* ap_core_translate() and its use by mod_mmap_static are a bit wonky.
The function should probably be exposed as a utility function (such
as ap_translate_url2fs() or ap_validate_fs_url() or something).
Another approach would be a new hook phase after "translate" which
would allow mod_mmap_static to munge what the translation has
decided to do.
Status: Greg +1 (volunteers), Ryan +1
* Go through ap_config.h and namespace-protect the symbols (e.g. USE_*).
Some symbols can/should move to mpm_common.h where possible.
* Explore use of a post-config hook for the code in http_main.c which
calls ap_fixup_virutal_hosts(), ap_fini_vhost_config(), and
ap_sort_hooks() [to reduce the logic in main()]
* read the config tree just once, and process N times (as necessary)
* add a version number to ap_initialize() as an extra failsafe against
(APR) library version skew.
Status: Greg +1 (volunteers), Jeff +1, Ryan +1, Tony -0(?)
* mod_info to use the configuration tree
PRs that have been suspended forever waiting for someone to
put them into 'the next release':
* PR#73: mod_log-any
reporting of referer in error_log
* PR#76: general
missing call to "setlocale();"
* PR#78: mod_include
Additional status for XBitHack directive
* PR#161: mod_dir
Questionable performace of mod_dir() with negotiation
* PR#362: mod_proxy
Mod_proxy doesn't allow change of error pages
* PR#370: mod_env
Modified PATH environemnt variable is not passed, instead
system's is used
* PR#440: mod_proxy
Proxy doesn't deliver documents if not connected
* PR#534: mod_proxy
proxy converts ~name to %7Ename when name starts with a dot (.)
* PR#537: mod_access
mod_access syntax allows hosts that should be restricted
* PR#557: mod_auth-any
~UserHome directories are not honored in absolute pathname
* PR#573: mod_log-any
More LogFormat directives
* PR#612: mod_proxy
Proxy FTP Authentication Fails
* PR#623: mod_include
A smarter "Last Modified" value for SSI documents (see PR number 600)
* PR#628: config
Request of "Options SymLinksIfGroupMatch"
* PR#697: mod_include
A security tweak I've been using for a few years for SSI
* PR#700: mod_proxy
Proxy doesn't do links right for OpenVMS files through ftp:
* PR#759: mod_imap
imap should read <MAP><AREA>*</MAP> too!
* PR#793: general
RLimitCPU and RLimitMEM don't apply to all children like they should
* PR#921: suexec
Uses cwd before filling it in, doesn't use syslog
* PR#922: config
it is useful to allow specifiction that root-owned symlinks
should always be followed
* PR#980: mod_proxy
Controlling Access to Remote Proxies would be nice...
* PR#994: mod_proxy
Adding authentication "on the fly" through the proxy module
* PR#1004: apache-api
request_config field in request_rec is moderately bogus
* PR#1028: other
DoS attacks involving memory consumption
* PR#1050: mod_log-any
Logging of virtual server to error_log as well
* PR#1085: mod_proxy
ProxyRemote make a dead cycle.
* PR#1117: mod_auth-any
Using NIS passwd.byname dbm files with AuthDBMUserFile
* PR#1120: suexec
suexec does not parse arguments to #exec cmd
* PR#1145: mod_include
Allow for Last-Modified: without resorting to XBitHack
* PR#1156: config
insufficent AllowOverrides granularity for autoindexing
* PR#1158: apache-api
improvements to child spawning API
* PR#1166: mod_proxy
``nph-'' not honored (no buffering) for ProxyRemote mapping
* PR#1176: mod_cgi
Apache cannot handle continuation line in headers
* PR#1191: general
setlogin() is not called, causing problems with e.g. identd
* PR#1204: general
regerror() exists, use it
* PR#1233: apache-api
there is no way to keep per-connection per-module state
* PR#1263: mod_dir
Add frame-safe anchor attribute to mod_autoindex links
* PR#1268: suexec
CGI scripts running as Apache user: security (suexec etc.)
* PR#1285: suexec
Error messages could be easier to spot in cgi.log file for suexec.c
* PR#1287: mod_access
add allow,deny/deny,allow warning to mod_access
* PR#1290: mod_proxy
Need to know "hit-rate" on proxy cache
* PR#1358: mod_log-any
Selective url-encode of log fields (or maybe a pseudo
* PR#1383: mod_headers
I make mod_headers to modify request headers as well as
* PR#1532: mod_proxy
Proxy transfer logging
* PR#1547: mod_proxy
No HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR set...
* PR#1567: mod_proxy
ProxyRemote proxy requests fail authentication by firewall
* PR#1574: mod_autoindex
ReadmeName and HeaderName don't allow for server-parsed html.
* PR#1582: mod_rewrite
mod_rewrite forms REQUEST_URI different than mod_cgi does
* PR#1677: mod_headers
mod_headers should allow mod_log_config-style formats in
* PR#1702: mod_proxy
mod_proxy to support persistent conns?
* PR#1803: mod_include
patches to mod_include to allow for file tests
* PR#1809: mod_auth-any
Suggestion for improving authentication modules and core source
code, problem with 401 and ErrorDocument
* PR#1855: mod_autoindex
More Control over autoindex layout
* PR#1878: mod_proxy
listing of proxy cache content
* PR#1905: suexec
Allow modules to set user:group for execution.
* PR#2024: apache-api
adding auth_why to conn_rec
* PR#2073: mod_log-any
pipelined connections are not logged correctly
* PR#2074: mod_rewrite
mod_rewrite doesn't pass Proxy Throughput on internal subrequests
* PR#2113: config
HTTP Server Rebuild Line Needs Changing for the better
* PR#2138: mod_status
mod_status always displays 256 possible connection slots
* PR#2221: documentation
Make online documentation search link back to my installation
* PR#2284: general
Can not POST to ErrorDocument - Apache/1.3b6
* PR#2314: mod_proxy
patterns in ProxyRemote
* PR#2343: mod_status
Status module averages are for entire uptime
* PR#2360: suexec
suexec for general access of user content?
* PR#2396: general
Proposal for TimeZone directive
* PR#2415: mod_info
/server-info doesn't check for the virtual host to list the info
* PR#2421: config
problem specifying ndbm library for build ?with autoconfigure
* PR#2431: general
A small addition to rotatelogs.c to improve program functionality.
* PR#2446: config
AllowOverride FileInfo is too coarse
* PR#2460: mod_cgi
TimeOut applies to output of CGI scripts
* PR#2512: mod_access
<IfDenied> directive wanted
* PR#2573: suexec
CGI's for general use still have to be run as another user
* PR#2648: general
Cache file names in Proxy module
* PR#2760: config
[PATCH] User/Group for <Directory> and <Location> i.e. not only
in global and <Virtual>.
* PR#2763: general
mailto tags and bundling bug report script
* PR#2772: mod_log-any
more % escapes
* PR#2785: os-aix
Support for System Resource Controller
* PR#2793: protocol
When will Apache support P3P? Any Plans?
* PR#2873: config
Feedback/Comment on APACI
* PR#2889: general
Inclusion of RPM spec file in CVS/distributions
* PR#2906: general
Propose that Apache recommend $UNIQUE_ID for all "session id"
* PR#2907: config
suggestion: power up your Include directive :)
* PR#3018: general
cannot limit some HTTP methods
* PR#3026: mod_autoindex
No way to change ReadmeName/HeaderName suffixes.
* PR#3143: apache-api
No module specific data hook for per-connection data
* PR#3181: config
Configuration file in Japanese
* PR#3191: mod_negotiation
no way to set global quality-of-source (qs) coneg values
* PR#3430: mod_negotiation
Enhancement: MultiViews, Multi-Language Documents
* PR#3568: mod_proxy
Accessing URL through proxy server corrupts data.
* PR#3594: os-windows
Please add an Apache icon to the systray instead of a DOS window
* PR#3605: mod_proxy
Some anonymous FTP URLs ask for authentication
* PR#3654: mod_autoindex
BORDER=0 makes Icons look nicer (FancyIndexing)
* PR#3677: general
New ErrorDocumentMatch directive
* PR#4180: os-windows
Alternative for win95 users
* PR#4241: config
Need to be able to override shebang line to make CGI scripts
* PR#4244: config
"Files" and "FilesMatch" regexp does not recognize bang as
* PR#4448: mod_log-any
Please allow CGI env variables (QUERY_STRING, ...) to be logged
* PR#4455: config
apache provides no way to do a wildcard/global NameVirtualHost
* PR#4459: mod_include
Suggestion for better handling of Last-modified headers
* PR#4490: mod_cgi
mod_cgi prevents handling of OPTIONS requests
* PR#4520: mod_autoindex
mod_autoindex does not generate Last-Modified response headers
* PR#4658: os-windows
The output of CGI scripts appears in the window that apache
is running in
* PR#4816: general
SSI in CGI
* PR#5079: config
Apache header files should have a private name, e.g.
* PR#5713: os-windows
[PATCH] install as service with domain account
* PR#5993: general
AllowOverride should have a 'CheckNone' and 'AllowNone' argument
instead of only 'None'
* PR#6347: mod_mime
MIME types for MNG and JNG files need adding to mime.types and
the mime.types and magic files
Status: Waiting for IANA types to be defined
Other bugs that need fixing:
* MaxRequestsPerChild measures connections, not requests.
Until someone has a better way, we'll probably just rename it
* Regex containers don't work in an intutive way
Status: No one has come up with an efficient way to fix this
behavior. Dean has suggested getting rid of regex containers
* SIGSEGV on Linux (glibc 2.1.2) isn't caught properly by a
sigwaiting thread. We need to work around this, perhaps unless
there is hope soon for a fixed glibc.
* The MM library is built as static and shared library. This should
be set up to build only the required version.
Other features that need writing:
* Finish infrastructure in core for async MPMs
Status: post 2.0
* TODO in source -- just do an egrep on "TODO" and see what's there
Documentation that needs writing:
* Mod_status docs are needed.
* The concept of MPMs, especially if we ship more than one MPM for a
* New directives in the various MPMs and appropriate links from
obsolete directives in core.html to the MPM documentation.
* Revise manual/stopping.html and the last part of
manual/misc/perf-tuning.html to take account of the MPMs.
* API documentation
Status: Ben Laurie has written some hooks documentation
* Changes since 1.3.9 can be more easily seen in the commitlog file
which includes some of Roy's comments when the changes were
committed in rough change-sets by purpose. Note that the commitlog
does not show the contents of new files until later.
* Mike Abbott's <firstname.lastname@example.org> patches to improve
Status: These were written for 1.3, and are awaiting a port to
* Jim Winstead's <email@example.com> patch to add CookieDomain and
other small mod_usertrack features
* Dan Rench's <firstname.lastname@example.org> patch to add allow the errmsg and timefmt
of SSI's to be modified in the config file. Patch is available in
* What do we do about mod_proxy?
* Which MPMs will be included with Apache 2.0?
* Is conf/highperformance.conf-dist obsolete? It looks obsolete.