News for pip
* Added support for the ``https`` and ``http-static`` schemes to the
Mercurial and ``ftp`` scheme to the Bazaar backend.
* Fixed uninstallation of scripts installed with easy_install.
* Fixed an issue in the package finder that could result in an
infinite loop while looking for links.
* Add ``pip uninstall`` and uninstall-before upgrade (from Carl
* Extended configurability with config files and environment variables.
* Allow packages to be upgraded, e.g., ``pip install Package==0.1``
then ``pip install Package==0.2``.
* Allow installing/upgrading to Package==dev (fix "Source version does not
match target version" errors).
* Added command and option completion for bash and zsh.
* Extended integration with virtualenv by providing an option to
automatically use an active virtualenv and an option to warn if no active
virtualenv is found.
* Fixed a bug with pip install --download and editable packages, where
directories were being set with 0000 permissions, now defaults to 755.
* Fixed uninstallation of easy_installed console_scripts.
* Fixed uninstallation on Mac OS X Framework layout installs
* Fixed bug preventing uninstall of editables with source outside venv.
* Creates download cache directory if not existing.
* Fixed a couple little bugs, with git and with extensions.
* Added ability to override the default log file name (``pip-log.txt``)
with the environmental variable ``$PIP_LOG_FILE``.
* Made the freeze command print installed packages to stdout instead of
writing them to a file. Use simple redirection (e.g.
``pip freeze > stable-req.txt``) to get a file with requirements.
* Fixed problem with freezing editable packages from a Git repository.
* Added support for base URLs using ``<base href='...'>`` when parsing
* Fixed installing of non-editable packages from version control systems.
* Fixed issue with Bazaar's bzr+ssh scheme.
* Added --download-dir option to the install command to retrieve package
archives. If given an editable package it will create an archive of it.
* Added ability to pass local file and directory paths to ``--find-links``,
* Reduced the amount of console log messages when fetching a page to find a
distribution was problematic. The full messages can be found in pip-log.txt.
* Added ``--no-deps`` option to install ignore package dependencies
* Added ``--no-index`` option to ignore the package index (PyPI) temporarily
* Fixed installing editable packages from Git branches.
* Fixes freezing of editable packages from Mercurial repositories.
* Fixed handling read-only attributes of build files, e.g. of Subversion and
Bazaar on Windows.
* When downloading a file from a redirect, use the redirected
location's extension to guess the compression (happens specifically
when redirecting to a bitbucket.org tip.gz file).
* Editable freeze URLs now always use revision hash/id rather than tip or
branch names which could move.
* Fixed comparison of repo URLs so incidental differences such as
presence/absence of final slashes or quoted/unquoted special
characters don't trigger "ignore/switch/wipe/backup" choice.
* Fixed handling of attempt to checkout editable install to a
non-empty, non-repo directory.
* Make ``-e`` work better with local hg repositories
* Construct PyPI URLs the exact way easy_install constructs URLs (you
might notice this if you use a custom index that is
* Improvements on Windows (from `Ionel Maries Cristian
* Fixed problem with not being able to install private git repositories.
* Make ``pip zip`` zip all its arguments, not just the first.
* Fix some filename issues on Windows.
* Allow the ``-i`` and ``--extra-index-url`` options in requirements
* Fix the way bundle components are unpacked and moved around, to make
* Adds ``-s`` option to allow the access to the global site-packages if a
virtualenv is to be created.
* Fixed support for Subversion 1.6.
* Improved virtualenv restart and various path/cleanup problems on win32.
* Fixed a regression with installing from svn repositories (when not
* Fixes when installing editable packages that put their source in a
subdirectory (like ``src/``).
* Improve ``pip -h``
* Added support for editable packages created from Git, Mercurial and Bazaar
repositories and ability to freeze them. Refactored support for version
* Do not use ``sys.exit()`` from inside the code, instead use a
return. This will make it easier to invoke programmatically.
* Put the install record in ``Package.egg-info/installed-files.txt``
(previously they went in
* Fix a problem with ``pip freeze`` not including ``-e svn+`` when an
svn structure is peculiar.
* Allow ``pip -E`` to work with a virtualenv that uses a different
version of Python than the parent environment.
* Fixed Win32 virtualenv (``-E``) option.
* Search the links passed in with ``-f`` for packages.
* Detect zip files, even when the file doesn't have a ``.zip``
extension and it is served with the wrong Content-Type.
* Installing editable from existing source now works, like ``pip
install -e some/path/`` will install the package in ``some/path/``.
Most importantly, anything that package requires will also be
installed by pip.
* Add a ``--path`` option to ``pip un/zip``, so you can avoid zipping
files that are outside of where you expect.
* Add ``--simulate`` option to ``pip zip``.
* Fixed small problem that prevented using ``pip.py`` without actually
* Fixed ``--upgrade``, which would download and appear to install
upgraded packages, but actually just reinstall the existing package.
* Fixed Windows problem with putting the install record in the right
place, and generating the ``pip`` script with Setuptools.
* Download links that include embedded spaces or other unsafe
characters (those characters get %-encoded).
* Fixed use of URLs in requirement files, and problems with some blank
* Turn some tar file errors into warnings.
* Renamed to ``pip``, and to install you now do ``pip install
* Added command ``pip zip PACKAGE`` and ``pip unzip PACKAGE``. This
is particularly intended for Google App Engine to manage libraries
to stay under the 1000-file limit.
* Some fixes to bundles, especially editable packages and when
creating a bundle using unnamed packages (like just an svn
repository without ``#egg=Package``).
* Added an option ``--install-option`` to pass options to pass
arguments to ``setup.py install``
* ``.svn/`` directories are no longer included in bundles, as these
directories are specific to a version of svn -- if you build a
bundle on a system with svn 1.5, you can't use the checkout on a
system with svn 1.4. Instead a file ``svn-checkout.txt`` is
included that notes the original location and revision, and the
command you can use to turn it back into an svn checkout. (Probably
unpacking the bundle should, maybe optionally, recreate this
information -- but that is not currently implemented, and it would
require network access.)
* Avoid ambiguities over project name case, where for instance
MyPackage and mypackage would be considered different packages.
This in particular caused problems on Macs, where ``MyPackage/`` and
``mypackage/`` are the same directory.
* Added support for an environmental variable
``$PIP_DOWNLOAD_CACHE`` which will cache package downloads, so
future installations won't require large downloads. Network access
is still required, but just some downloads will be avoided when
* Always use ``svn checkout`` (not ``export``) so that
``tag_svn_revision`` settings give the revision of the package.
* Don't update checkouts that came from ``.pybundle`` files.
* Improve error text when there are errors fetching HTML pages when
* Improve bundles: include empty directories, make them work with
* If you use ``-E env`` and the environment ``env/`` doesn't exist, a
new virtual environment will be created.
* Fix ``dependency_links`` for finding packages.
* Fixed a NameError exception when running pip outside of a
* Added HTTP proxy support (from Prabhu Ramachandran)
* Fixed use of ``hashlib.md5`` on python2.5+ (also from Prabhu
* Initial release