fr - Free Resource Printer
fr is a command-line tool to print free resources in delicious flavors. fr is to free as htop is to top.
It was written because of unhappiness with the bare-bones, hard-to-read free command. I wanted something a bit more... graphical. Instead of this:
total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 4045216 2159764 1885452 0 192404 942944 -/+ buffers/cache: 1024416 3020800 Swap: 0 0 0
You'll see something like this:
Free Resources in Blocks of 1 Megabyte (1,000,000 bytes) DEVICE VOLUME CAPACITY USED FREE MOUNT CACHE ⌁ RAM 4,142 1,421 1,461 ▉▉▉▉▉▉▉░░░░░░▏ 1,261 ▪ SWAP 0 ▪ sda1 Ubuntu 18,617 7,000 10,671 ▉▉▉▉░░░░░░░░░▏ / ▪ sda5 Data 88,107 85,218 2,889 ▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉░▏ /media/Data ◗ sr0 PREDATOR 45,206 45,206 0 ▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▏ /media/PREDATOR
... in fruity colors. Yes, colors can be turned off, units chosen, etc. fr has been tested on Ubuntu (1.2X on Precise-Trusty, 1.3X Wily), CentOS 6, Windows (XP, 7), and Mac OS X (10.9.x) so far. It runs only under Python 2.X at this time.
You'll need pip, but not virtualenv.
Need pip? On Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install python-pip
For Red Hat: s/apt-get/yum/. Or follow the manual instructions.
Next, run this:
sudo pip install fr
If you'd like the development version instead:
sudo pip install https://bitbucket.org/mixmastamyk/fr/get/default.zip
As Udisks is not installed by default on Precise Server (and possibly others), it can be installed if you'd like to print volume labels:
sudo apt-get install udisks
use udisks2 if on Wily or later.
After eight years this script finally supports Windows, though support is experimental. ;)
Need pip? Instructions for installing on Windows. Put "%ProgramFiles%\PythonXX\Scripts" in your PATH.
Next, run these as Admin:
pip install colorama # want color? pip install fr[win] # installs necessary winstats
I've given up on Unicode icons (for now) on the Windows console and went back to cp437 for that old-timey DOS feel. Perhaps it should print out "conventional/high" memory too.
Mac OS X
Yes, it supports that too, though support is experimental:
sudo pip install -U fr
And off you go.
Run it ;)
And of course there are a number of options:
Note: Output will be in a compact format unless the width of the console is at least 90 characters. Give it more and it will expand to fill available space.
Licensed under the GPL, version 3+.
- 1.35 - fix: One more try. ;)
- 1.34 - fix: wide unicode chars breaking alignment, new narrow chars.
- (Broke recently, related to ambiguous width characters.)
- 1.33 - fix: warning icon under linux console.
- 1.32 - fix: udisk1 compatibility, improve udisks missing warning,
- 1.31 - fix: usb drive detection, icon
- 1.30 - enh: Linux: Supports and prefers Udisks2
- 1.24 - fix: extra linefeed on some systems.
- 1.23 - fix: swap cache colors
- 1.22 - fix: swap colors
- 1.21 - add: -l local flag to skip remote filesystems.
- 1.20 - fix: pipeline UnicodeEncodeError.
- 1.19 - fix: don't print ansi reset at end of bar when color off.
- 1.18 - fix: swap bar should be match bold setting.
- 1.17 - Windows: fix crash on XP, crash on ctypes+colorama
- 1.16 - Posix: don't install fr.cmd.
- 1.15 - Darwin: fix widelayout (term size), mount point.
- 1.14 - Fix: cache colors differed on 256 colors.
- 1.12 - Darwin: fix subprocess call.
- 1.11 - Darwin: support TERM=xterm.
- 1.10 - Now supports Mac OS X (aka "Darwin")
- 1.01 - Handle negative swap size on WinXP, swap numbers unreliable. :/