Extended Personal Media Scanner
This scanner is meant to be used with the Extended Media Metadata Agent. See the documentation on this page on the metadata agent plugin to see how files should be organized within your personal media sections.
This scanner is not meant to be full replacement of the Plex Media Scanner. Requests for functionality will be considered but may be limited by what Plex currently allows in the TV Show sections.
Differences between this scanner and Plex Media Scanner
This scanner differentiates itself from the Plex Media Scanner by:
- Uniquely assigns an episode number to date-based personal media. This allows for multiple shows on the same date. This is particularly useful for home movies, organizing sports videos, etc.
- This scanner does not read tag data from MP4 files or other types of media. This may be added in a future release if there is enough demand for it.
- Renaming shows that have already been processed sometimes causes Plex to create a new TV show within Plex.
How to fix:
- Remove the files that were created in the new TV show from the original directory.
- In Plex, scan the section so that Plex detects that the files have been removed.
- Re-add the files back to the original directory.
- In Plex, scan the section so that Plex detects the files and adds them back to the original TV Show.
Download and source
Unzip the downloaded ZIP file, this gives you a file/folder with the name plex-scanners-XXXXXXXX. Rename the folder to plex-scanners.
Copy the Series folder from the plex-scanners folder created above to the Scanners folder within the Plex installation directory. See the steps below for OS specific steps.
Follow the instructions for Mac, Windows, or Linux below.
Restart Plex Media Server (this is optional)
On Mac and Windows: just quit and start again
On Linux (Ubuntu): sudo service plexmediaserver restart
In Plex/Web (the media manager), create a new "TV Shows" section and select Extended Personal Media Scanner from the Scanner dropdown menu (under Advanced Options).
- Copy the Series folder from the plex-scanners folder created above to ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Scanners folder.
The easiest way to find this folder is to use the Go to folder... option in the Go menu of the Finder.
~ is your home folder. If you can't find your Library folder, have a look at OS X Lion: Where did my Library go?
Copy the Series folder from the plex-scanners folder created above to the Plex Media Server Scanners directory.
To get to the Scanners directory right-click the Plex Media Server icon in the system tray and open the Plug-ins folder.
In Windows Explorer go up a directory and then select the Scanners directory.
- Create the Scanners directory
cd /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
sudo mkdir Scanners
sudo cp -R [directory a] [directory b]
sudo chown -R plex:plex Scanners [making sure the person is still in /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server]
- Copy the Series folder from the plex-scanners folder created above to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Scanners