- XXX The primary purpose of this release ... XXX
- A SCons "checkpoint release" is intended to provide early access to
- new features so they can be tested in the field before being released
- for adoption by other software distributions.
- Note that a checkpoint release is developed using the same test-driven
- development methodology as all SCons releases. Existing SCons
- functionality should all work as it does in previous releases (except
- for any changes identified in the release notes) and early adopters
- should be able to use a checkpoint release safely for production work
- with existing SConscript files. If not, it represents not only a bug
- in SCons but also a hole in the regression test suite, and we want to
- New features may be more lightly tested than in past releases,
- especially as concerns their interaction with all of the other
- functionality in SCons. We are especially interested in hearing bug
- reports about new functionality.
- We do not recommend that downstream distributions (Debian, Fedora,
- etc.) package a checkpoint release, mainly to avoid confusing the
- "public" release numbering with the long checkpoint release names.
Here is a summary of the changes since 2.0:
This should enable much easier use of third-party (non-core)
- - List new features (presumably why a checkpoint is being released)
- DEPRECATED FUNCTIONALITY
- - List anything that's been deprecated since the last release
CHANGED/ENHANCED EXISTING FUNCTIONALITY
- scons --version now prints the path to the SCons package in use
- LaTeX scanner is improved for broken lines or embedded spaces.
- Windows UNC paths (\\SERVER\SHARE\dir) now work much better.
- - List fixes of outright bugs
- ParseFlags now supports -std=c++0x and related CXXFLAGS
for building; can help when you don't know why a target isn't
- - List improvements that wouldn't be visible to the user in the
- documentation: performance improvements (describe the circumstances
- under which they would be observed), or major code cleanups
- - List changes in the way SCons is packaged and/or released
- - List any significant changes to the documentation (not individual
- typo fixes, even if they're mentioned in src/CHANGES.txt to give
- the contributor credit)
- - List visible changes in the way SCons is developed
+ - Added new getting started section
for their contributions to this release.
-__FILE__ __REVISION__ __DATE__ __DEVELOPER__