a button with the text as a label. Press the button, and the text is spoken!
This is beneficial, for example, when teaching younger children. And for
Requirements: tested with Moodle 1.9.7 and 2.0.2 <http://moodle.org/> (all Moodle
4. Ensure that the directory `$CFG->dataroot` is writeable by the Apache user,
or create a writeable cache directory, `$CFG->dataroot/simplespeak/cache/`
+* Moodle plugin page: <http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=X>
+* Code, Git: <https://github.com/nfreear/moodle-filter_simplespeak>
+* Code, Hg: <https://bitbucket.org/nfreear/simplespeak>
+* Demo: <http://freear.org.uk/moodle>
1. Simple example. Enable the filter (admin). Then, type the following in a Moodle resource:
[Speak] Hello world! [/Speak]
-2. Alphabet quiz example. Type the following in the rich-editor, for example for a question/quiz (note, line-breaks, which can be represented by <br /> are required):
+2. Alphabet quiz example. Type the following in the rich-editor, for example for a
+question/quiz (note, line-breaks, which can be represented by <br /> are required):
* Roadmap: improve TTS language support, improve caching.
* Text strings are internationalized for Moodle 1.9.x and 2.0.x.
* TTS service: you can install local software, eg. use eSpeak/LAME, see
<http://code.google.com/p/webanywhere/> for ideas.
Or it could be a third-party service, for example, Google Translate.
- Note, my reading of the Google Translate terms suggests this is OK -
+ Note, my reading of the Google Translate terms suggests this is OK -
ie. pressing a button is not "automated" (and we cache the sound-files locally).
However, I accept no responsibility for this - check the terms yourself!
-SimpleSpeak filter. Copyright
(c) 2010 Nicholas Freear.
+SimpleSpeak filter. Copyright 2010 Nicholas Freear.
-* License <http://gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>
+* License: <http://gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html> GNU GPL v2 or later.
(c) 2009 John Resig.
- * LicenseDual licensed under the MIT and GPL licenses.
+* License: Dual licensed under the MIT and GPL licenses.