iRedMail with the Rapsbian distribution on a Raspberry Pi computer
- I used unattended install with raspbian-ua-netinst.
TODO: explain how kernel modules are installed
Required steps before running iRedMail.sh
- Note that iRedMail system requirements require 1 Gb of RAM while the Pi has 512 Mb RAM. Still, it works with swap enabled and one component (ClamAV) removed after installation. I used zram instead of swap to disk.
apt-get install modprobe && modprobe ipv6to make sure Dovecot package installation works. (still, iRedMail is not configured for ipv6 by default). Add
/etc/modulesif you want it to persist after reboot.
Recommended security related preperation
apt-get install unattended-upgrades# installs security updates daily
- For better quality of randomness for key generation, enable the hardware random number generator.
modprobe bcm2708-rng && apt-get install rng-tools.
- ClamAV takes too much a lot of memory, to the point that the machine is swapping after a fresh install of iRedMail. Here are instructions to disable clamav virus scanning. Additionally:
apt-get purge clamav* && rm -rf /var/lib/clamav /etc/clamav.
- Amavis content scanning can be limited to one process by following this guide.
TODO: actually get this working
- Set the GPU / System memory split to maximize system memory and limit the GPU memory as the Pi is headless.