stats-main compile issue with progressbar

Create issue
Issue #48 resolved
George C. Privon created an issue

I have been experiencing failures when trying to build arbtt 0.10, that seem to be related to the progress bar:

$ cabal install arbtt
[lots of warnings about package deprecations]

src/stats-main.hs:192:13: error:
    • Couldn't match expected type ‘Integer -> String’
                  with actual type ‘[Char]’
    • The function ‘mkProgressBar’ is applied to five arguments,
      but its type ‘Label -> Label -> Integer -> Progress -> [Char]’
      has only four
      In the second argument of ‘($)’, namely
        ‘mkProgressBar
           (msg "Processing data")
           percentage
           (fromIntegral width)
           (fromIntegral b)
           (fromIntegral size)’
      In a stmt of a 'do' block:
        hPutStr stderr
          $ mkProgressBar
              (msg "Processing data")
              percentage
              (fromIntegral width)
              (fromIntegral b)
              (fromIntegral size)
    |
192 |             mkProgressBar (msg "Processing data") percentage (fromIntegral width) (fromIntegral b) (fromIntegral size)
    |             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cabal: Leaving directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-2696/arbtt-0.10'
cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
arbtt-0.10-AXw5Tg7ClsH7JPA9da7BvF failed during the building phase. The
exception was:
ExitFailure 1

I this this may be related to an upstream change in the progressbar package? I noticed a seemingly related bug in the bytestring-progress package: https://github.com/acw/bytestring-progress/issues/8 But I'm not sure which specific upstream package changed.

Comments (5)

  1. nomeata repo owner

    It seems that terminal-progress-bar has changed its API, and I was sloppy about the version bounds. Try

    cabal install arbtt --constraint 'terminal-progress-bar < 0.2'
    
  2. George C. Privon reporter

    Thanks. I just tried it again and the compilation made it through that step. It's now failing later, at an Graphics.X11.XScreenSaver issue. Can't dig into it now, but I'll open a new issue if I can't link it to some issue with my local configuration.

  3. George C. Privon reporter

    Great thanks. It looks like the arch linux haskell-X11 isn't compiled with the proper support, but reinstalling it from cabal worked and now arbtt compiles fine. Thanks for the help!

  4. Log in to comment