Copyright (c) 2004-2008 The Trustees of Indiana University and Indiana
University Research and Technology
Corporation. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2004-2006 The University of Tennessee and The University
of Tennessee Research Foundation. All rights
Copyright (c) 2004-2008 High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart,
University of Stuttgart. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2004-2006 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2006-2011 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2006 Voltaire, Inc. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Copyright (c) 2006-2007 Los Alamos National Security, LLC. All rights
Additional copyrights may follow
This file contains the main features as well as overviews of specific
bug fixes (and other actions) for each version of Open MPI since
As more fully described in the "Software Version Number" section in
the README file, Open MPI typically releases two separate version
series simultaneously. Since these series have different goals and
are semi-independent of each other, a single NEWS-worthy item may be
introduced into different series at different times. For example,
feature F was introduced in the vA.B series at version vA.B.C, and was
later introduced into the vX.Y series at vX.Y.Z.
The first time feature F is released, the item will be listed in the
vA.B.C section, denoted as:
(** also to appear: X.Y.Z) -- indicating that this item is also
likely to be included in future release
When vX.Y.Z is later released, the same NEWS-worthy item will also be
included in the vX.Y.Z section and be denoted as:
(** also appeared: A.B.C) -- indicating that this item was previously
included in release version vA.B.C.
- Fix mpirun --launch-agent behavior when a prefix is specified.
Thanks to Reuti for identifying the issue.
- Fixed memchecker configury.
- Brought over some compiler warning squashes from the development trunk.
- Fix spawning from a singleton to multiple hosts when the "add-host"
MPI_Info key is used. Thanks to Brian Budge for pointing out the
- Add Mellanox ConnextIB IDs and max inline value.
- Fix rankfile when no -np is given.
- FreeBSD detection improvement. Thanks to Brooks Davis for the
- Removed TCP warnings on Windows.
- Improved collective algorithm selection for very large messages.
- Fix PSM MTL affinity settings.
- Fix issue with MPI_OP_COMMUTATIVE in the mpif.h bindings. Thanks to
Ake Sandgren for providing a patch to fix the issue.
- Fix issue with MPI_SIZEOF when using CHARACTER and LOGICAL types in
the mpi module. Thanks to Ake Sandgren for providing a patch to fix
- Fix issue with MX MTL. Thanks to Doug Eadline for raising the issue.
- Fix singleton MPI_COMM_SPAWN when the result job spans multiple nodes.
- Fix MXM hang, and update for latest version of MXM.
- Update to support Mellanox FCA 2.5.
- Fix startup hang for large jobs.
- Ensure MPI_TESTANY / MPI_WAITANY properly set the empty status when
- Fix MPI_CART_SUB behavior of not copying periods to the new
communicator properly. Thanks to John Craske for the bug report.
- Add btl_openib_abort_not_enough_reg_mem MCA parameter to cause Open
MPI to abort MPI jobs if there is not enough registered memory
available on the system (vs. just printing a warning). Thanks to
Brock Palen for raising the issue.
- Minor fix to Fortran MPI_INFO_GET: only copy a value back to the
user's buffer if the flag is .TRUE.
- Fix VampirTrace compilation issue with the PGI compiler suite.
- A bunch of changes to eliminate hangs on OpenFabrics-based networks.
Users with Mellanox hardware are ***STRONGLY ENCOURAGED*** to check
their registered memory kernel module settings to ensure that the OS
will allow registering more than 8GB of memory. See this FAQ item
- Fall back to send/receive semantics if registered memory is
unavilable for RDMA.
- Fix two fragment leaks when registered memory is exhausted.
- Hueristically determine how much registered memory is available
and warn if it's significantly less than all of RAM.
- Artifically limit the amount of registered memory each MPI process
can use to about 1/Nth to total registered memory available.
- Improve error messages when events occur that are likely due to
unexpected registered memory exhaustion.
- Fix double semicolon error in the C++ in <mpi.h>. Thanks to John
Foster for pointing out the issue.
- Allow -Xclang to be specified multiple times in CFLAGS. Thanks to
P. Martin for raising the issue.
- Break up a giant "print *" statement in the ABI-preserving incorrect
MPI_SCATTER interface in the "large" Fortran "mpi" module. Thanks
to Juan Escobar for the initial patch.
- Switch the MPI_ALLTOALLV default algorithm to a pairwise exchange.
- Increase the openib BTL default CQ length to handle more types of
- Lots of VampirTrace fixes; upgrade to v22.214.171.124.
- Map MPI_2INTEGER to underlying MPI_INTEGERs, not MPI_INTs.
- Ensure that the OMPI version number is toleant of handling spaces.
Thanks to dragonboy for identifying the issue.
- Fixed IN parameter marking on Fortran "mpi" module
- Various MXM improvements.
- Make the output of "mpirun --report-bindings" much more friendly /
- Properly handle MPI_COMPLEX8|16|32.
- More fixes for mpirun's processor affinity options (--bind-to-core
- Use aligned memory for OpenFabrics registered memory.
- Multiple fixes for parameter checking in MPI_ALLGATHERV,
MPI_REDUCE_SCATTER, MPI_SCATTERV, and MPI_GATHERV. Thanks to the
mpi4py community (Bennet Fauber, Lisandro Dalcin, Jonathan Dursi).
- Fixed file positioning overflows in MPI_FILE_GET_POSITION,
MPI_FILE_GET_POSITION_SHARED, FILE_GET_SIZE, FILE_GET_VIEW.
- Removed the broken --cpu-set mpirun option.
- Fix cleanup of MPI errorcodes. Thanks to Alexey Bayduraev for the
- Fix default hostfile location. Thanks to G�tz Waschk for noticing
- Improve several error messages.
- Fix some process affinity issues. When binding a process, Open MPI
will now bind to all available hyperthreads in a core (or socket,
depending on the binding options specified).
--> Note that "mpirun --bind-to-socket ..." does not work on POWER6-
and POWER7-based systems with some Linux kernel versions. See
the FAQ on the Open MPI web site for more information.
- Add support for ARM5 and ARM6 (in addition to the existing ARM7
support). Thanks to Evan Clinton for the patch.
- Minor Mellanox MXM fixes.
- Properly detect FDR10, FDR, and EDR OpenFabrics devices.
- Minor fixes to the mpirun(1) and MPI_Comm_create(3) man pages.
- Prevent segv if COMM_SPAWN_MULTIPLE fails. Thanks to Fujitsu for
- Disable interposed memory management in fakeroot environments. This
fixes a problem in some build environments.
- Minor hwloc updates.
- Array versions of MPI_TEST and MPI_WAIT with a count==0 will now
return immediately with MPI_SUCCESS. Thanks to Jeremiah Willcock
for the suggestion.
- Update VampirTrace to v5.12.2.
- Properly handle forwarding stdin to all processes when "mpirun
--stdin all" is used.
- Workaround XLC assembly bug.
- OS X Tiger (10.4) has not been supported for a while, so forcibly
abort configure if we detect it.
- Fix segv in the openib BTL when running on SPARC 64 systems.
- Fix some include file ordering issues on some BSD-based platforms.
Thanks to Paul Hargove for this (and many, many other) fixes.
- Properly handle .FALSE. return parameter value to attribute copy
- Fix a bunch of minor C++ API issues; thanks to Fujitsu for the patch.
- Fixed the default hostfile MCA parameter behavior.
- Per the MPI spec, ensure not to touch the port_name parameter to
MPI_CLOSE_PORT (it's an IN parameter).
- Many, many portability configure/build fixes courtesy of Paul
Hargrove. Thanks, Paul!
- Fixed shared memory fault tolerance support compiler errors.
- Removed not-production-quality rshd and tmd PLM launchers.
- Minor updates to the Open MPI SRPM spec file.
- Fixed mpirun's --bind-to-socket option.
- A few MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE fixes in the shared memory BTL.
- Upgrade the GNU Autotools used to bootstrap the 1.5/1.6 series to
all the latest versions at the time of this release.
- Categorically state in the README that if you're having a problem
with Open MPI with the Linux Intel 12.1 compilers, *upgrade your
Intel Compiler Suite to the latest patch version*, and the problems
will go away. :-)
- Fix the --without-memory-manager configure option.
- Fixes for Totalview/DDT MPI-capable debuggers.
- Update rsh/ssh support to properly handle the Mac OS X library path
- Make warning about shared memory backing files on a networked file
system be optional (i.e., can be disabled via MCA parameter).
- Several fixes to processor and memory affinity.
- Various shared memory infrastructure improvements.
- Various checkpoint/restart fixes.
- Fix MPI_IN_PLACE (and other MPI sentinel values) on OS X. Thanks to
Dave Goodell for providing the magic OS X gcc linker flags necessary.
- Various man page corrections and typo fixes. Thanks to Fujitsu for
- Updated wrapper compiler man pages to list the various --showme
options that are available.
- Add PMI direct-launch support (e.g., "srun mpi_application" under
- Correctly compute the aligned address when packing the
datatype description. Thanks to Fujitsu for the patch.
- Fix MPI obscure corner case handling in packing MPI datatypes.
Thanks to Fujitsu for providing the patch.
- Workaround an Intel compiler v12.1.0 2011.6.233 vector optimization
- Output the MPI API in ompi_info output.
- Major VT update to 126.96.36.199.
- Rankfile 'P'hysical mapping is no longer available.
- Upgrade embedded Hardware Locality (hwloc) v1.3.2, plus some
post-1.3.2-release bug fixes. All processor and memory binding is
now done through hwloc. Woo hoo! Note that this fixes core binding
on AMD Opteron 6200 and 4200 series-based systems (sometimes known
as Interlagos, Valencia, or other Bulldozer-based chips).
- New MCA parameters to control process-wide memory binding policy:
hwloc_base_mem_alloc_policy, hwloc_base_mem_bind_failure_action (see
ompi_info --param hwloc base).
- Removed direct support for libnuma. Libnuma support may now be
picked up through hwloc.
- Added MPI_IN_PLACE support to MPI_EXSCAN.
- Various fixes for building on Windows, including MinGW support.
- Removed support for the OpenFabrics IBCM connection manager.
- Updated Chelsio T4 and Intel NE OpenFabrics default buffer settings.
- Increased the default RDMA CM timeout to 30 seconds.
- Issue a warning if both btl_tcp_if_include and btl_tcp_if_exclude
- Many fixes to the Mellanox MXM transport.
- Add support for the (as yet unreleased) Mellanox MXM transport.
- Add support for dynamic service levels (SLs) in the openib BTL.
- Fixed C++ bindings cosmetic/warnings issue with
MPI::Comm::NULL_COPY_FN and MPI::Comm::NULL_DELETE_FN. Thanks to
J�lio Hoffimann for identifying the issues.
- Also allow the word "slots" in rankfiles (i.e., not just "slot").
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Add Mellanox ConnectX 3 device IDs to the openib BTL defaults.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Various FCA updates.
- Fix 32 bit SIGBUS errors on Solaris SPARC platforms.
- Add missing ARM assembly code files.
- Update to allow more than 128 entries in an appfile.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Various VT updates and bug fixes.
- Update description of btl_openib_cq_size to be more accurate.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Various assembly "clobber" fixes.
- Fix a hang in carto selection in obscure situations.
- Guard the inclusion of execinfo.h since not all platforms have it. Thanks
to Aleksej Saushev for identifying this issue.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Support Solaris legacy munmap prototype changes.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Updated to Automake 1.11.1 per
- Fix compilation of LSF support.
- Update MPI_Comm_spawn_multiple.3 man page to reflect what it
- Fix for possible corruption of the environment. Thanks to Peter
Thompson for the suggestion. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Enable use of PSM on direct-launch SLURM jobs.
- Update paffinity hwloc to v1.2, and to fix minor bugs affinity
assignment bugs on PPC64/Linux platforms.
- Let the openib BTL auto-detect its bandwidth.
- Support new MPI-2.2 datatypes.
- Updates to support more datatypes in MPI one-sided communication.
- Fix recursive locking bug when MPI-IO was used with
MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fix mpirun handling of prefix conflicts.
- Ensure mpirun's --xterm options leaves sessions attached.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fixed type of sendcounts and displs in the "use mpi" F90 module.
ABI is preserved, but applications may well be broken. See the
README for more details. Thanks to Stanislav Sazykin for
identifying the issue. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fix indexed datatype leaks. Thanks to Pascal Deveze for supplying
the initial patch. (** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Fix debugger mapping when mpirun's -npernode option is used.
- Fixed support for configure's --disable-dlopen option when used with
- Fix segv associated with MPI_Comm_create with MPI_GROUP_EMPTY.
Thanks to Dominik Goeddeke for finding this.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Improved LoadLeveler ORTE support.
- Add new WinVerbs BTL plugin, supporting native OpenFabrics verbs on
Windows (the "wv" BTL).
- Add new btl_openib_gid_index MCA parameter to allow selecting which
GID to use on an OpenFabrics device's GID table.
- Add support for PCI relaxed ordering in the OpenFabrics BTL (when
- Update rsh logic to allow correct SGE operation.
- Ensure that the mca_paffinity_alone MCA parameter only appears once
in the ompi_info output. Thanks to Gus Correa for identifying the
- Fixed return codes from MPI_PROBE and MPI_IPROBE.
(** also to appear in 1.4.4)
- Remove --enable-progress-thread configure option; it doesn't work on
the v1.5 branch. Rename --enable-mpi-threads to
--enable-mpi-thread-multiple. Add new --enable-opal-multi-threads
- Updates for Intel Fortran compiler version 12.
- Remove bproc support. Farewell bproc!
- If something goes wrong during MPI_INIT, fix the error
message to say that it's illegal to invoke MPI_INIT before
- Add missing "affinity" MPI extension (i.e., the OMPI_Affinity_str()
API) that was accidentally left out of the 1.5.2 release.
- Replaced all custom topology / affinity code with initial support
for hwloc v1.1.1 (PLPA has been removed -- long live hwloc!). Note
that hwloc is bundled with Open MPI, but an external hwloc can be
used, if desired. See README for more details.
- Many CMake updates for Windows builds.
- Updated opal_cr_thread_sleep_wait MCA param default value to make it
- Updated debugger support to allow Totalview attaching from jobs
launched directly via srun (not mpirun). Thanks to Nikolay Piskun
for the patch.
- Added more FTB/CIFTS support.
- Fixed compile error with the PGI compiler.
- Portability fixes to allow the openib BTL to run on the Solaris
- Fixed multi-token command-line issues when using the mpirun
--debug switch. For example:
mpirun --debug -np 2 a.out "foo bar"
Thanks to Gabriele Fatigati for reporting the issue.
- Added ARM support.
- Added the MPI_ROOT environment variable in the Open MPI Linux SRPM
for customers who use the BPS and LSF batch managers.
- Updated ROMIO from MPICH v1.3.1 (plus one additional patch).
- Fixed some deprecated MPI API function notification messages.
- Added new "bfo" PML that provides failover on OpenFabrics networks.
- Fixed some buffer memcheck issues in MPI_*_init.
- Added Solaris-specific chip detection and performance improvements.
- Fix some compile errors on Solaris.
- Updated the "rmcast" framework with bug fixes, new functionality.
- Updated the Voltaire FCA component with bug fixes, new
functionality. Support for FCA version 2.1.
- Fix gcc 4.4.x and 4.5.x over-aggressive warning notifications on
possibly freeing stack variables. Thanks to the Gentoo packagers
for reporting the issue.
- Make the openib component be verbose when it disqualifies itself due
- Minor man page fixes.
- Various checkpoint / restart fixes.
- Fix race condition in the one-sided unlock code. Thanks to
Guillaume Thouvenin for finding the issue.
- Improve help message aggregation.
- Add OMPI_Affinity_str() optional user-level API function (i.e., the
"affinity" MPI extension). See README for more details.
- Added btl_tcp_if_seq MCA parameter to select a different ethernet
interface for each MPI process on a node. This parameter is only
useful when used with virtual ethernet interfaces on a single
network card (e.g., when using virtual interfaces give dedicated
hardware resources on the NIC to each process).
- Changed behavior of mpirun to terminate if it receives 10 (or more)
- Fixed oversubscription detection.
- Added new mtl_mx_board and mtl_mx_endpoint MCA parameters.
- Added ummunotify support for OpenFabrics-based transports. See the
README for more details.
- Fixes for the Oracle Studio 12.2 Fortran compiler.
- Fix SPARC and SPARCv9 atomics. Thanks to Nicola Stange for the
- Fix Libtool issues with the IBM XL compiler in 64-bit mode.
- Restore the reset of the libevent progress counter to avoid
over-sampling the event library.
- Update memory barrier support.
- Use memmove (instead of memcpy) when necessary (e.g., source and
- Fixed ompi-top crash.
- Fix to handle Autoconf --program-transforms properly and other
m4/configury updates. Thanks to the GASNet project for the
--program transforms fix.
- Allow hostfiles to specify usernames on a per-host basis.
- Update wrapper compiler scripts to search for perl during configure,
per request from the BSD maintainers.
- Minor man page fixes.
- Added --with-libltdl option to allow building Open MPI with an
external installation of libltdl.
- Fixed various issues with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2.
- Various VT fixes and updates.
- Added "knem" support: direct process-to-process copying for shared
memory message passing. See http://runtime.bordeaux.inria.fr/knem/
and the README file for more details.
- Updated shared library versioning scheme and linking style of MPI
applications. The MPI application ABI has been broken from the
v1.3/v1.4 series. MPI applications compiled against any prior
version of Open MPI will need to, at a minimum, re-link. See the
README file for more details.
- Added "fca" collective component, enabling MPI collective offload
support for Voltaire switches.
- Fixed MPI one-sided operations with large target displacements.
Thanks to Brian Price and Jed Brown for reporting the issue.
- Fixed MPI_GET_COUNT when used with large counts. Thanks to Jed
Brown for reporting the issue.
- Made the openib BTL safer if extremely low SRQ settings are used.
- Fixed handling of the array_of_argv parameter in the Fortran
binding of MPI_COMM_SPAWN_MULTIPLE (** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Fixed malloc(0) warnings in some collectives.
- Fixed a problem with the Fortran binding for
MPI_FILE_CREATE_ERRHANDLER. Thanks to Secretan Yves for identifying
the issue (** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Updates to the LSF PLM to ensure that the path is correctly passed.
Thanks to Teng Lin for the patch (** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Fixes for the F90 MPI_COMM_SET_ERRHANDLER and MPI_WIN_SET_ERRHANDLER
bindings. Thanks to Paul Kapinos for pointing out the issue
(** also to appear: 1.4.3).
- Fixed extra_state parameter types in F90 prototypes for
MPI_COMM_CREATE_KEYVAL, MPI_GREQUEST_START, MPI_REGISTER_DATAREP,
MPI_TYPE_CREATE_KEYVAL, and MPI_WIN_CREATE_KEYVAL.
- Fixes for Solaris oversubscription detection.
- If the PML determines it can't reach a peer process, print a
slightly more helpful message. Thanks to Nick Edmonds for the
- Make btl_openib_if_include/exclude function the same way
btl_tcp_if_include/exclude works (i.e., supplying an _include list
overrides supplying an _exclude list).
- Apply more scalable reachability algorithm on platforms with more
than 8 TCP interfaces.
- Various assembly code updates for more modern platforms / compilers.
- Relax restrictions on using certain kinds of MPI datatypes with
one-sided operations. Users beware; not all MPI datatypes are valid
for use with one-sided operations!
- Improve behavior of MPI_COMM_SPAWN with regards to --bynode.
- Various threading fixes in the openib BTL and other core pieces of
- Various help file and man pages updates.
- Various FreeBSD and NetBSD updates and fixes. Thanks to Kevin
Buckley and Aleksej Saushev for their work.
- Fix case where freeing communicators in MPI_FINALIZE could cause
- Print warnings if shared memory state files are opened on what look
like networked filesystems.
- Update libevent to v1.4.13.
- Allow propagating signals to processes that call fork().
- Fix bug where MPI_GATHER was sometimes incorrectly examining the
datatype on non-root processes. Thanks to Michael Hofmann for
investigating the issue.
- Various Microsoft Windows fixes.
- Various Catamount fixes.
- Various checkpoint / restart fixes.
- Xgrid support has been removed until it can be fixed (patches
would be welcome).
- Added simplistic "libompitrace" contrib package. Using the MPI
profiling interface, it essentially prints out to stderr when select
MPI functions are invoked.
- Update bundled VampirTrace to v5.8.2.
- Add pkg-config(1) configuration files for ompi, ompi-c, ompi-cxx,
ompi-f77, ompi-f90. See the README for more details.
- Removed the libopenmpi_malloc library (added in the v1.3 series)
since it is no longer necessary
- Add several notifier plugins (generally used when Open MPI detects
system/network administrator-worthy problems); each have their own
MCA parameters to govern their usage. See "ompi_info --param
notifier <name>" for more details.
- command to execute arbitrary commands (e.g., run a script).
- file to send output to a file.
- ftb to send output to the Fault Tolerant Backplane (see
- hnp to send the output to mpirun.
- smtp (requires libesmtp) to send an email.
- Fixed handling of the array_of_argv parameter in the Fortran
binding of MPI_COMM_SPAWN_MULTIPLE
- Fixed a problem with the Fortran binding for
MPI_FILE_CREATE_ERRHANDLER. Thanks to Secretan Yves for identifying
- Updates to the LSF PLM to ensure that the path is correctly passed.
Thanks to Teng Lin for the patch
- Fixes for the F90 MPI_COMM_SET_ERRHANDLER and MPI_WIN_SET_ERRHANDLER
bindings. Thanks to Paul Kapinos for pointing out the issue.
- Fixed various MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE race conditions.
- Fixed an issue with an undeclared variable from ptmalloc2 munmap on
- Fixes for BSD interface detection.
- Various other BSD fixes. Thanks to Kevin Buckley helping to track.
all of this down.
- Fixed issues with the use of the -nper* mpirun command line arguments.
- Fixed an issue with coll tuned dynamic rules.
- Fixed an issue with the use of OPAL_DESTDIR being applied too aggressively.
- Fixed an issue with one-sided xfers when the displacement exceeds 2GBytes.
- Change to ensure TotalView works properly on Darwin.
- Added support for Visual Studio 2010.
- Fix to ensure proper placement of VampirTrace header files.
- Needed to add volatile keyword to a varialbe used in debugging
- Fixed a bug in inter-allgather.
- Fixed malloc(0) warnings.
- Corrected a typo the MPI_Comm_size man page (intra -> inter). Thanks
to Simon number.cruncher for pointing this out.
- Fixed a SegV in orted when given more than 127 app_contexts.
- Removed xgrid source code from the 1.4 branch since it is no longer
supported in the 1.4 series.
- Removed the --enable-opal-progress-threads config option since
opal progress thread support does not work in 1.4.x.
- Fixed a defect in VampirTrace's vtfilter.
- Fixed wrong Windows path in hnp_contact.
- Removed the requirement for a paffinity component.
- Removed a hardcoded limit of 64 interconnected jobs.
- Fix to allow singletons to use ompi-server for rendezvous.
- Fixed bug in output-filename option.
- Fix to correctly handle failures in mx_init().
- Fixed a potential Fortran memory leak.
- Fixed an incorrect branch in some ppc32 assembly code. Thanks
to Matthew Clark for this fix.
- Remove use of undocumented AS_VAR_GET macro during configuration.
- Fixed an issue with VampirTrace's wrapper for MPI_init_thread.
- Updated mca-btl-openib-device-params.ini file with various new vendor id's.
- Configuration fixes to ensure CPPFLAGS in handled properly if a non-standard
valgrind location was specified.
- Various man page updates
- Fixed problem when running in heterogeneous environments. Thanks to
Timur Magomedov for helping to track down this issue.
- Update LSF support to ensure that the path is passed correctly.
Thanks to Teng Lin for submitting a patch.
- Fixed some miscellaneous oversubscription detection bugs.
- IBM re-licensed its LoadLeveler code to be BSD-compliant.
- Various OpenBSD and NetBSD build and run-time fixes. Many thanks to
the OpenBSD community for their time, expertise, and patience
getting these fixes incorporated into Open MPI's main line.
- Various fixes for multithreading deadlocks, race conditions, and
other nefarious things.
- Fixed ROMIO's handling of "nearly" contiguous issues (e.g., with
non-zero true_lb). Thanks for Pascal Deveze for the patch.
- Bunches of Windows build fixes. Many thanks to several Windows
users for their help in improving our support on Windows.
- Now allow the graceful failover from MTLs to BTLs if no MTLs can
- Added "clobber" information to various atomic operations, fixing
erroneous behavior in some newer versions of the GNU compiler suite.
- Update various iWARP and InfiniBand device specifications in the
OpenFabrics .ini support file.
- Fix the use of hostfiles when a username is supplied.
- Various fixes for rankfile support.
- Updated the internal version of VampirTrace to 5.4.12.
- Fixed OS X TCP wireup issues having to do with IPv4/IPv6 confusion
(see https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/22788 for more
- Fixed some problems in processor affinity support, including when
there are "holes" in the processor namespace (e.g., offline
- Ensure that Open MPI's "session directory" (usually located in /tmp)
is cleaned up after process termination.
- Fixed some problems with the collective "hierarch" implementation
that could occur in some obscure conditions.
- Various MPI_REQUEST_NULL, API parameter checking, and attribute
error handling fixes. Thanks to Lisandro Dalcín for reporting the
- Fix case where MPI_GATHER erroneously used datatypes on non-root
nodes. Thanks to Michael Hofmann for investigating the issue.
- Patched ROMIO support for PVFS2 > v2.7 (patch taken from MPICH2
version of ROMIO).
- Fixed "mpirun --report-bindings" behavior when used with
mpi_paffinity_alone=1. Also fixed mpi_paffinity_alone=1 behavior
with non-MPI applications. Thanks to Brice Goglin for noticing the
- Ensure that all OpenFabrics devices have compatible receive_queues
specifications before allowing them to communicate. See the lengthy
comment in https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/22592 for
- Fix some issues with checkpoint/restart.
- Improve the pre-MPI_INIT/post-MPI_FINALIZE error messages.
- Ensure that loopback addresses are never advertised to peer
processes for RDMA/OpenFabrics support.
- Fixed a CSUM PML false positive.
- Various fixes for Catamount support.
- Minor update to wrapper compilers in how user-specific argv is
ordered on the final command line. Thanks to Jed Brown for the
- Removed flex.exe binary from Open MPI tarballs; now generate flex
code from a newer (Windows-friendly) flex when we make official
- Update to PLPA v1.3.2, addressing a licensing issue identified by
the Fedora project. See
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/plpa/changeset/262 for details.
- Add check for malformed checkpoint metadata files (Ticket #2141).
- Fix error path in ompi-checkpoint when not able to checkpoint
- Cleanup component release logic when selecting checkpoint/restart
enabled components (Ticket #2135).
- Fixed VT node name detection for Cray XT platforms, and fixed some
broken VT documentation files.
- Fix a possible race condition in tearing down RDMA CM-based
- Relax error checking on MPI_GRAPH_CREATE. Thanks to David Singleton
for pointing out the issue.
- Fix a shared memory "hang" problem that occurred on x86/x86_64
platforms when used with the GNU >=4.4.x compiler series.
- Add fix for Libtool 2.2.6b's problems with the PGI 10.x compiler
suite. Inspired directly from the upstream Libtool patches that fix
the issue (but we need something working before the next Libtool
The *only* change in the Open MPI v1.4 release (as compared to v1.3.4)
was to update the embedded version of Libtool's libltdl to address a
potential security vulnerability. Specifically: Open MPI v1.3.4 was
created with GNU Libtool 2.2.6a; Open MPI v1.4 was created with GNU
Libtool 2.2.6b. There are no other changes between Open MPI v1.3.4
- Fix some issues in OMPI's SRPM with regard to shell_scripts_basename
and its use with mpi-selector. Thanks to Bill Johnstone for
pointing out the problem.
- Added many new MPI job process affinity options to mpirun. See the
newly-updated mpirun(1) man page for details.
- Several updates to mpirun's XML output.
- Update to fix a few Valgrind warnings with regards to the ptmalloc2
allocator and Open MPI's use of PLPA.
- Many updates and fixes to the (non-default) "sm" collective
component (i.e., native shared memory MPI collective operations).
- Updates and fixes to some MPI_COMM_SPAWN_MULTIPLE corner cases.
- Fix some internal copying functions in Open MPI's use of PLPA.
- Correct some SLURM nodelist parsing logic that may have interfered
with large jobs. Additionally, per advice from the SLURM team,
change the environment variable that we use for obtaining the job's
- Revert to an older, safer (but slower) communicator ID allocation
- Fixed minimum distance finding for OpenFabrics devices in the openib
- Relax the parameter checking MPI_CART_CREATE a bit.
- Fix MPI_COMM_SPAWN[_MULTIPLE] to only error-check the info arguments
on the root process. Thanks to Federico Golfre Andreasi for
reporting the problem.
- Fixed some BLCR configure issues.
- Fixed a potential deadlock when the openib BTL was used with
- Fixed dynamic rules selection for the "tuned" coll component.
- Added a launch progress meter to mpirun (useful for large jobs; set
the orte_report_launch_progress MCA parameter to 1 to see it).
- Reduced the number of file descriptors consumed by each MPI process.
- Add new device IDs for Chelsio T3 RNICs to the openib BTL config file.
- Fix some CRS self component issues.
- Added some MCA parameters to the PSM MTL to tune its run-time
- Fix some VT issues with MPI_BOTTOM/MPI_IN_PLACE.
- Man page updates from the Debain Open MPI package maintainers.
- Add cycle counter support for the Alpha and Sparc platforms.
- Pass visibility flags to libltdl's configure script, resulting in
those symbols being hidden. This appears to mainly solve the
problem of applications attempting to use different versions of
libltdl from that used to build Open MPI.
- Fix a number of issues with the openib BTL (OpenFabrics) RDMA CM,
including a memory corruption bug, a shutdown deadlock, and a route
timeout. Thanks to David McMillen and Hal Rosenstock for help in
tracking down the issues.
- Change the behavior of the EXTRA_STATE parameter that is passed to
Fortran attribute callback functions: this value is now stored
internally in MPI -- it no longer references the original value
passed by MPI_*_CREATE_KEYVAL.
- Allow the overriding RFC1918 and RFC3330 for the specification of
"private" networks, thereby influencing Open MPI's TCP
- Improve flow control issues in the sm btl, by both tweaking the
shared memory progression rules and by enabling the "sync" collective
to barrier every 1,000th collective.
- Various fixes for the IBM XL C/C++ v10.1 compiler.
- Allow explicit disabling of ptmalloc2 hooks at runtime (e.g., enable
support for Debian's builtroot system). Thanks to Manuel Prinz and
the rest of the Debian crew for helping identify and fix this issue.
- Various minor fixes for the I/O forwarding subsystem.
- Big endian iWARP fixes in the Open Fabrics RDMA CM support.
- Update support for various OpenFabrics devices in the openib BTL's
- Fixed undefined symbol issue with Open MPI's parallel debugger
message queue support so it can be compiled by Sun Studio compilers.
- Update MPI_SUBVERSION to 1 in the Fortran bindings.
- Fix MPI_GRAPH_CREATE Fortran 90 binding.
- Fix MPI_GROUP_COMPARE behavior with regards to MPI_IDENT. Thanks to
Geoffrey Irving for identifying the problem and supplying the fix.
- Silence gcc 4.1 compiler warnings about type punning. Thanks to
Number Cruncher for the fix.
- Added more Valgrind and other memory-cleanup fixes. Thanks to
various Open MPI users for help with these issues.
- Miscellaneous VampirTrace fixes.
- More fixes for openib credits in heavy-congestion scenarios.
- Slightly decrease the latency in the openib BTL in some conditions
(add "send immediate" support to the openib BTL).
- Ensure to allow MPI_REQUEST_GET_STATUS to accept an
MPI_STATUS_IGNORE parameter. Thanks to Shaun Jackman for the bug
- Added Microsoft Windows support. See README.WINDOWS file for
- Fixed a potential infinite loop in the openib BTL that could occur
in senders in some frequent-communication scenarios. Thanks to Don
Wood for reporting the problem.
- Add a new checksum PML variation on ob1 (main MPI point-to-point
communication engine) to detect memory corruption in node-to-node
- Add a new configuration option to add padding to the openib
header so the data is aligned
- Add a new configuration option to use an alternative checksum algo
when using the checksum PML
- Fixed a problem reported by multiple users on the mailing list that
the LSF support would fail to find the appropriate libraries at
- Allow empty shell designations from getpwuid(). Thanks to Sergey
Koposov for the bug report.
- Ensure that mpirun exits with non-zero status when applications die
due to user signal. Thanks to Geoffroy Pignot for suggesting the
- Ensure that MPI_VERSION / MPI_SUBVERSION match what is returned by
MPI_GET_VERSION. Thanks to Rob Egan for reporting the error.
- Updated MPI_*KEYVAL_CREATE functions to properly handle Fortran
- A variety of ob1 (main MPI point-to-point communication engine) bug
fixes that could have caused hangs or seg faults.
- Do not install Open MPI's signal handlers in MPI_INIT if there are
already signal handlers installed. Thanks to Kees Verstoep for
bringing the issue to our attention.
- Fix GM support to not seg fault in MPI_INIT.
- Various VampirTrace fixes.
- Various PLPA fixes.
- No longer create BTLs for invalid (TCP) devices.
- Various man page style and lint cleanups.
- Fix critical OpenFabrics-related bug noted here:
Open MPI now uses a much more robust memory intercept scheme that is
quite similar to what is used by MX. The use of "-lopenmpi-malloc"
is no longer necessary, is deprecated, and is expected to disappear
in a future release. -lopenmpi-malloc will continue to work for the
duration of the Open MPI v1.3 and v1.4 series.
- Fix some OpenFabrics shutdown errors, both regarding iWARP and SRQ.
- Allow the udapl BTL to work on Solaris platforms that support
relaxed PCI ordering.
- Fix problem where the mpirun would sometimes use rsh/ssh to launch on
the localhost (instead of simply forking).
- Minor SLURM stdin fixes.
- Fix to run properly under SGE jobs.
- Scalability and latency improvements for shared memory jobs: convert
to using one message queue instead of N queues.
- Automatically size the shared-memory area (mmap file) to match
better what is needed; specifically, so that large-np jobs will start.
- Use fixed-length MPI predefined handles in order to provide ABI
compatibility between Open MPI releases.
- Fix building of the posix paffinity component to properly get the
number of processors in loosely tested environments (e.g.,
FreeBSD). Thanks to Steve Kargl for reporting the issue.
- Fix --with-libnuma handling in configure. Thanks to Gus Correa for
reporting the problem.
- Added "sync" coll component to allow users to synchronize every N
collective operations on a given communicator.
- Increased the default values of the IB and RNR timeout MCA parameters.
- Fix a compiler error noted by Mostyn Lewis with the PGI 8.0 compiler.
- Fix an error that prevented stdin from being forwarded if the
rsh launcher was in use. Thanks to Branden Moore for pointing out
- Correct a case where the added datatype is considered as contiguous but
has gaps in the beginning.
- Fix an error that limited the number of comm_spawns that could
simultaneously be running in some environments
- Correct a corner case in OB1's GET protocol for long messages; the
error could sometimes cause MPI jobs using the openib BTL to hang.
- Fix a bunch of bugs in the IO forwarding (IOF) subsystem and add some
new options to output to files and redirect output to xterm. Thanks to
Jody Weissmann for helping test out many of the new fixes and
- Fix SLURM race condition.
- Fix MPI_File_c2f(MPI_FILE_NULL) to return 0, not -1. Thanks to
Lisandro Dalcin for the bug report.
- Fix the DSO build of tm PLM.
- Various fixes for size disparity between C int's and Fortran
INTEGER's. Thanks to Christoph van Wullen for the bug report.
- Ensure that mpirun exits with a non-zero exit status when daemons or
processes abort or fail to launch.
- Various fixes to work around Intel (NetEffect) RNIC behavior.
- Various fixes for mpirun's --preload-files and --preload-binary
- Fix the string name in MPI::ERRORS_THROW_EXCEPTIONS.
- Add ability to forward SIFTSTP and SIGCONT to MPI processes if you
set the MCA parameter orte_forward_job_control to 1.
- Allow the sm BTL to allocate larger amounts of shared memory if
desired (helpful for very large multi-core boxen).
- Fix a few places where we used PATH_MAX instead of OPAL_PATH_MAX,
leading to compile problems on some platforms. Thanks to Andrea Iob
for the bug report.
- Fix mca_btl_openib_warn_no_device_params_found MCA parameter; it
was accidentally being ignored.
- Fix some run-time issues with the sctp BTL.
- Ensure that RTLD_NEXT exists before trying to use it (e.g., it
doesn't exist on Cygwin). Thanks to Gustavo Seabra for reporting
- Various fixes to VampirTrace, including fixing compile errors on
- Fixed missing MPI_Comm_accept.3 man page; fixed minor issue in
orterun.1 man page. Thanks to Dirk Eddelbuettel for identifying the
problem and submitting a patch.
- Implement the XML formatted output of stdout/stderr/stddiag.
- Fixed mpirun's -wdir switch to ensure that working directories for
multiple app contexts are properly handled. Thanks to Geoffroy
Pignot for reporting the problem.
- Improvements to the MPI C++ integer constants:
- Allow MPI::SEEK_* constants to be used as constants
- Allow other MPI C++ constants to be used as array sizes
- Fix minor problem with orte-restart's command line options. See
ticket #1761 for details. Thanks to Gregor Dschung for reporting
- Extended the OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) workaround for a problem when
assembly code is compiled with -g[0-9]. Thanks to Barry Smith for
reporting the problem. See ticket #1701.
- Disabled MPI_REAL16 and MPI_COMPLEX32 support on platforms where the
bit representation of REAL*16 is different than that of the C type
of the same size (usually long double). Thanks to Julien Devriendt
for reporting the issue. See ticket #1603.
- Increased the size of MPI_MAX_PORT_NAME to 1024 from 36. See ticket #1533.
- Added "notify debugger on abort" feature. See tickets #1509 and #1510.
Thanks to Seppo Sahrakropi for the bug report.
- Upgraded Open MPI tarballs to use Autoconf 2.63, Automake 1.10.1,
- Added missing MPI::Comm::Call_errhandler() function. Thanks to Dave
Goodell for bringing this to our attention.
- Increased MPI_SUBVERSION value in mpi.h to 1 (i.e., MPI 2.1).
- Changed behavior of MPI_GRAPH_CREATE, MPI_TOPO_CREATE, and several
other topology functions per MPI-2.1.
- Fix the type of the C++ constant MPI::IN_PLACE.
- Various enhancements to the openib BTL:
- Added btl_openib_if_[in|ex]clude MCA parameters for
including/excluding comma-delimited lists of HCAs and ports.
- Added RDMA CM support, includng btl_openib_cpc_[in|ex]clude MCA
- Added NUMA support to only use "near" network adapters
- Added "Bucket SRQ" (BSRQ) support to better utilize registered
memory, including btl_openib_receive_queues MCA parameter
- Added ConnectX XRC support (and integrated with BSRQ)
- Added btl_openib_ib_max_inline_data MCA parameter
- Added iWARP support
- Revamped flow control mechansisms to be more efficient
- "mpi_leave_pinned=1" is now the default when possible,
automatically improving performance for large messages when
application buffers are re-used
- Elimiated duplicated error messages when multiple MPI processes fail
with the same error.
- Added NUMA support to the shared memory BTL.
- Add Valgrind-based memory checking for MPI-semantic checks.
- Add support for some optional Fortran datatypes (MPI_LOGICAL1,
MPI_LOGICAL2, MPI_LOGICAL4 and MPI_LOGICAL8).
- Remove the use of the STL from the C++ bindings.
- Added support for Platform/LSF job launchers. Must be Platform LSF
v7.0.2 or later.
- Updated ROMIO with the version from MPICH2 1.0.7.
- Added RDMA capable one-sided component (called rdma), which
can be used with BTL components that expose a full one-sided
- Added the optional datatype MPI_REAL2. As this is added to the "end of"
predefined datatypes in the fortran header files, there will not be
any compatibility issues.
- Added Portable Linux Processor Affinity (PLPA) for Linux.
- Addition of a finer symbols export control via the visibiliy feature
offered by some compilers.
- Added checkpoint/restart process fault tolerance support. Initially
support a LAM/MPI-like protocol.
- Removed "mvapi" BTL; all InfiniBand support now uses the OpenFabrics
driver stacks ("openib" BTL).
- Added more stringent MPI API parameter checking to help user-level
- The ptmalloc2 memory manager component is now by default built as
a standalone library named libopenmpi-malloc. Users wanting to
use leave_pinned with ptmalloc2 will now need to link the library
into their application explicitly. All other users will use the
libc-provided allocator instead of Open MPI's ptmalloc2. This change
may be overriden with the configure option enable-ptmalloc2-internal
- The leave_pinned options will now default to using mallopt on
Linux in the cases where ptmalloc2 was not linked in. mallopt
will also only be available if munmap can be intercepted (the
default whenever Open MPI is not compiled with --without-memory-
- Open MPI will now complain and refuse to use leave_pinned if
no memory intercept / mallopt option is available.
- Add option of using Perl-based wrapper compilers instead of the
C-based wrapper compilers. The Perl-based version does not
have the features of the C-based version, but does work better
in cross-compile environments.
- Fix a segfault when using one-sided communications on some forms of derived
datatypes. Thanks to Dorian Krause for reporting the bug. See #1715.
- Fix an alignment problem affecting one-sided communications on
some architectures (e.g., SPARC64). See #1738.
- Fix compilation on Solaris when thread support is enabled in Open MPI
(e.g., when using --with-threads). See #1736.
- Correctly take into account the MTU that an OpenFabrics device port
is using. See #1722 and
- Fix two datatype engine bugs. See #1677.
Thanks to Peter Kjellstrom for the bugreport.
- Fix the bml r2 help filename so the help message can be found. See #1623.
- Fix a compilation problem on RHEL4U3 with the PGI 32 bit compiler
caused by <infiniband/driver.h>. See ticket #1613.
- Fix the --enable-cxx-exceptions configure option. See ticket #1607.
- Properly handle when the MX BTL cannot open an endpoint. See ticket #1621.
- Fix a double free of events on the tcp_events list. See ticket #1631.
- Fix a buffer overun in opal_free_list_grow (called by MPI_Init).
Thanks to Patrick Farrell for the bugreport and Stephan Kramer for
the bugfix. See ticket #1583.
- Fix a problem setting OPAL_PREFIX for remote sh-based shells.
See ticket #1580.
- Tweaked one memory barrier in the openib component to be more conservative.
May fix a problem observed on PPC machines. See ticket #1532.
- Fix OpenFabrics IB partition support. See ticket #1557.
- Restore v1.1 feature that sourced .profile on remote nodes if the default
shell will not do so (e.g. /bin/sh and /bin/ksh). See ticket #1560.
- Fix segfault in MPI_Init_thread() if ompi_mpi_init() fails. See ticket #1562.
- Adjust SLURM support to first look for $SLURM_JOB_CPUS_PER_NODE instead of
the deprecated $SLURM_TASKS_PER_NODE environment variable. This change
may be *required* when using SLURM v1.2 and above. See ticket #1536.
- Fix the MPIR_Proctable to be in process rank order. See ticket #1529.
- Fix a regression introduced in 1.2.6 for the IBM eHCA. See ticket #1526.
- Add some Sun HCA vendor IDs. See ticket #1461.
- Fixed a memory leak in MPI_Alltoallw when called from Fortran.
Thanks to Dave Grote for the bugreport. See ticket #1457.
- Only link in libutil when it is needed/desired. Thanks to
Brian Barret for diagnosing and fixing the problem. See ticket #1455.
- Update some QLogic HCA vendor IDs. See ticket #1453.
- Fix F90 binding for MPI_CART_GET. Thanks to Scott Beardsley for
bringing it to our attention. See ticket #1429.
- Remove a spurious warning message generated in/by ROMIO. See ticket #1421.
- Fix a bug where command-line MCA parameters were not overriding
MCA parameters set from environment variables. See ticket #1380.
- Fix a bug in the AMD64 atomics assembly. Thanks to Gabriele Fatigati
for the bug report and bugfix. See ticket #1351.
- Fix a gather and scatter bug on intercommunicators when the datatype
being moved is 0 bytes. See ticket #1331.
- Some more man page fixes from the Debian maintainers.
See tickets #1324 and #1329.
- Have openib BTL (OpenFabrics support) check for the presence of
/sys/class/infiniband before allowing itself to be used. This check
prevents spurious "OMPI did not find RDMA hardware!" notices on
systems that have the software drivers installed, but no
corresponding hardware. See tickets #1321 and #1305.
- Added vendor IDs for some ConnectX openib HCAs. See ticket #1311.
- Fix some RPM specfile inconsistencies. See ticket #1308.
Thanks to Jim Kusznir for noticing the problem.
- Removed an unused function prototype that caused warnings on
some systems (e.g., OS X). See ticket #1274.
- Fix a deadlock in inter-communicator scatter/gather operations.
Thanks to Martin Audet for the bug report. See ticket #1268.
- Fix a bug in the inter-allgather for asymmetric inter-communicators.
Thanks to Martin Audet for the bug report. See ticket #1247.
- Fix a bug in the openib BTL when setting the CQ depth. Thanks
to Jon Mason for the bug report and fix. See ticket #1245.
- On Mac OS X Leopard, the execinfo component will be used for
backtraces, making for a more durable solution. See ticket #1246.
- Added vendor IDs for some QLogic DDR openib HCAs. See ticket #1227.
- Updated the URL to get the latest config.guess and config.sub files.
Thanks to Ralf Wildenhues for the bug report. See ticket #1226.
- Added shared contexts support to PSM MTL. See ticket #1225.
- Added pml_ob1_use_early_completion MCA parameter to allow users
to turn off the OB1 early completion semantic and avoid "stall"
problems seen on InfiniBand in some cases. See ticket #1224.
- Sanitized some #define macros used in mpi.h to avoid compiler warnings
caused by MPI programs built with different autoconf versions.
Thanks to Ben Allan for reporting the problem, and thanks to
Brian Barrett for the fix. See ticket #1220.
- Some man page fixes from the Debian maintainers. See ticket #1219.
- Made the openib BTL a bit more resilient in the face of driver
errors. See ticket #1217.
- Fixed F90 interface for MPI_CART_CREATE. See ticket #1208.
Thanks to Michal Charemza for reporting the problem.
- Fixed some C++ compiler warnings. See ticket #1203.
- Fixed formatting of the orterun man page. See ticket #1202.
Thanks to Peter Breitenlohner for the patch.
- Fixed compile issue with open() on Fedora 8 (and newer) platforms.
Thanks to Sebastian Schmitzdorff for noticing the problem.
- Added run-time warnings during MPI_INIT when MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE
and/or progression threads are used (the OMPI v1.2 series does not
support these well at all).
- Better handling of ECONNABORTED from connect on Linux. Thanks to
Bob Soliday for noticing the problem; thanks to Brian Barrett for
submitting a patch.
- Reduce extraneous output from OOB when TCP connections must
be retried. Thanks to Brian Barrett for submitting a patch.
- Fix for ConnectX devices and OFED 1.3. See ticket #1190.
- Fixed a configure problem for Fortran 90 on Cray systems. Ticket #1189.
- Fix an uninitialized variable in the error case in opal_init.c.
Thanks to Ake Sandgren for pointing out the mistake.
- Fixed a hang in configure if $USER was not defined. Thanks to
Darrell Kresge for noticing the problem. See ticket #900.
- Added support for parallel debuggers even when we have an optimized build.
See ticket #1178.
- Worked around a bus error in the Mac OS X 10.5.X (Leopard) linker when
compiling Open MPI with -g. See ticket #1179.
- Removed some warnings about 'rm' from Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) builds.
- Fix the handling of mx_finalize(). See ticket #1177.
Thanks to Ake Sandgren for bringing this issue to our attention.
- Fixed minor file descriptor leak in the Altix timer code. Thanks to
Paul Hargrove for noticing the problem and supplying the fix.
- Fix a problem when using a different compiler for C and Objective C.
See ticket #1153.
- Fix segfault in MPI_COMM_SPAWN when the user specified a working
directory. Thanks to Murat Knecht for reporting this and suggesting
- A few manpage fixes from the Debian Open MPI maintainers. Thanks to
Tilman Koschnick, Sylvestre Ledru, and Dirk Eddelbuettel.
- Fixed issue with pthread detection when compilers are not all
from the same vendor. Thanks to Ake Sandgren for the bug
report. See ticket #1150.
- Fixed vector collectives in the self module. See ticket #1166.
- Fixed some data-type engine bugs: an indexing bug, and an alignment bug.
See ticket #1165.
- Only set the MPI_APPNUM attribute if it is defined. See ticket
- Really added support for TotalView/DDT parallel debugger message queue
debugging (it was mistakenly listed as "added" in the 1.2 release).
- Fixed a build issue with GNU/kFreeBSD. Thanks to Petr Salinger for
- Added missing MPI_FILE_NULL constant in Fortran. Thanks to
Bernd Schubert for bringing this to our attention.
- Change such that the UDAPL BTL is now only built in Linux when
explicitly specified via the --with-udapl configure command line
- Fixed an issue with umask not being propagated when using the TM
- Fixed behavior if number of slots is not the same on all bproc nodes.
- Fixed a hang on systems without GPR support (ex. Cray XT3/4).
- Prevent users of 32-bit MPI apps from requesting >= 2GB of shared
- Added a Portals MTL.
- Fix 0 sized MPI_ALLOC_MEM requests. Thanks to Lisandro Dalcin for
pointing out the problem.
- Fixed a segfault crash on large SMPs when doing collectives.
- A variety of fixes for Cray XT3/4 class of machines.
- Fixed which error handler is used when MPI_COMM_SELF is passed
to MPI_COMM_FREE. Thanks to Lisandro Dalcini for the bug report.
- Fixed compilation on platforms that don't have hton/ntoh.
- Fixed a logic problem in the fortran binding for MPI_TYPE_MATCH_SIZE.
Thanks to Jeff Dusenberry for pointing out the problem and supplying
- Fixed a problem with MPI_BOTTOM in various places of the f77-interface.
Thanks to Daniel Spangberg for bringing this up.
- Fixed problem where MPI-optional Fortran datatypes were not
- Fixed several problems with stdin/stdout forwarding.
- Fixed overflow problems with the sm mpool MCA parameters on large SMPs.
- Added support for the DDT parallel debugger via orterun's --debug
command line option.
- Added some sanity/error checks to the openib MCA parameter parsing
- Updated the udapl BTL to use RDMA capabilities.
- Allow use of the BProc head node if it was allocated to the user.
Thanks to Sean Kelly for reporting the problem and helping debug it.
- Fixed a ROMIO problem where non-blocking I/O errors were not properly
reported to the user.
- Made remote process launch check the $SHELL environment variable if
a valid shell was not otherwise found for the user.
Thanks to Alf Wachsmann for the bugreport and suggested fix.
- Added/updated some vendor IDs for a few openib HCAs.
- Fixed a couple of failures that could occur when specifying devices
for use by the OOB.
- Removed dependency on sysfsutils from the openib BTL for
libibverbs >=v1.1 (i.e., OFED 1.2 and beyond).
- Fix a regression in comm_spawn functionality that inadvertently
caused the mapping of child processes to always start at the same
place. Thanks to Prakash Velayutham for helping discover the
- Fix segfault when a user's home directory is unavailable on a remote
node. Thanks to Guillaume Thomas-Collignon for bringing the issue
to our attention.
- Fix MPI_IPROBE to properly handle MPI_STATUS_IGNORE on mx and psm
MTLs. Thanks to Sophia Corwell for finding this and supplying a
- Fix some error messages in the tcp BTL.
- Use _NSGetEnviron instead of environ on Mac OS X so that there
are no undefined symbols in the shared libraries.
- On OS X, when MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is 10.3 or higher, support
building the Fortran 90 bindings as a shared library. Thanks to
Jack Howarth for his advice on making this work.
- No longer require extra include flag for the C++ bindings.
- Fix detection of weak symbols support with Intel compilers.
- Fix issue found by Josh England: ompi_info would not show framework
MCA parameters set in the environment properly.
- Rename the oob_tcp_include/exclude MCA params to oob_tcp_if_include/exclude
so that they match the naming convention of the btl_tcp_if_include/exclude
params. The old names are depreciated, but will still work.
- Add -wd as a synonym for the -wdir orterun/mpirun option.
- Fix the mvapi BTL to compile properly with compilers that do not support
anonymous unions. Thanks to Luis Kornblueh for reporting the bug.
- Fix regression in 1.2.1 regarding the handling of $CC with both
absolute and relative path names.
- Fix F90 array of status dimensions. Thanks to Randy Bramley for
noticing the problem.
- Add btl_openib_ib_pkey_value MCA parameter for controlling IB port selection.
- Fixed a variety of threading/locking bugs.
- Fixed some compiler warnings associated with ROMIO, OS X, and gridengine.
- If pbs-config can be found, use it to look for TM support. Thanks
to Bas van der Vlies for the inspiration and preliminary work.
- Fixed a deadlock in orterun when the rsh PLS encounters some errors.
- Fixed a number of connection establishment errors in the TCP out-
of-band messaging system.
- Fixed a memory leak when using mpi_comm calls.
Thanks to Bas van der Vlies for reporting the problem.
- Fixed various memory leaks in OPAL and ORTE.
- Improved launch times when using TM (PBS Pro, Torque, Open PBS).
- Fixed mpi_leave_pinned to work for all datatypes.
- Fix functionality allowing users to disable sbrk() (the
mpool_base_disable_sbrk MCA parameter) on platforms that support it.
- Fixed a pair of problems with the TCP "listen_thread" mode for the
oob_tcp_listen_mode MCA parameter that would cause failures when
attempting to launch applications.
- Fixed a segfault if there was a failure opening a BTL MX endpoint.
- Fixed a problem with mpirun's --nolocal option introduced in 1.2.
- Re-enabled MPI_COMM_SPAWN_MULTIPLE from singletons.
- LoadLeveler and TM configure fixes, Thanks to Martin Audet for the
- Various C++ MPI attributes fixes.
- Fixed issues with backtrace code on 64 bit Intel & PPC OS X builds.
- Fixed issues with multi-word CC variables and libtool.
Thanks to Bert Wesarg for the bug reports.
- Fix issue with non-uniform node naming schemes in SLURM.
- Fix file descriptor leak in the Grid Engine/N1GE support.
- Fix compile error on OS X 10.3.x introduced with Open MPI 1.1.5.
- Implement MPI_TYPE_CREATE_DARRAY function (was in 1.1.5 but not 1.2).
- Recognize zsh shell when using rsh/ssh for launching MPI jobs.
- Ability to set the OPAL_DESTDIR or OPAL_PREFIX environment
variables to "re-root" an existing Open MPI installation.
- Always include -I for Fortran compiles, even if the prefix is
- Support for "fork()" in MPI applications that use the
OpenFabrics stack (OFED v1.2 or later).
- Support for setting specific limits on registered memory.
- Fixed race condition in the shared memory fifo's, which led to
- Corrected the size of the shared memory file - subtracted out the
space the header was occupying.
- Add support for MPI_2COMPLEX and MPI_2DOUBLE_COMPLEX.
- Always ensure to create $(includedir)/openmpi, even if the C++
bindings are disabled so that the wrapper compilers don't point to
a directory that doesn't exist. Thanks to Martin Audet for
identifying the problem.
- Fixes for endian handling in MPI process startup.
- Openib BTL initialization fixes for cases where MPI processes in the
same job has different numbers of active ports on the same physical
- Print more descriptive information when displaying backtraces on
OS's that support this functionality, such as the hostname and PID
of the process in question.
- Fixes to properly handle MPI exceptions in C++ on communicators,
windows, and files.
- Much more reliable runtime support, particularly with regards to MPI
job startup scalability, BProc support, and cleanup in failure
scenarios (e.g., MPI_ABORT, MPI processes abnormally terminating,
- Significant performance improvements for MPI collectives,
particularly on high-speed networks.
- Various fixes in the MX BTL component.
- Fix C++ typecast problems with MPI_ERRCODES_IGNORE. Thanks to
Satish Balay for bringing this to our attention.
- Allow run-time specification of the maximum amount of registered
memory for OpenFabrics and GM.
- Users who utilize the wrapper compilers (e.g., mpicc and mpif77)
will not notice, but the underlying library names for ORTE and OPAL
have changed to libopen-rte and libopen-pal, respectively (listed
here because there are undoubtedly some users who are not using the
- Many bug fixes to MPI-2 one-sided support.
- Added support for TotalView message queue debugging.
- Fixes for MPI_STATUS_SET_ELEMENTS.
- Print better error messages when mpirun's "-nolocal" is used when
there is only one node available.
- Added man pages for several Open MPI executables and the MPI API
- A number of fixes for Alpha platforms.
- A variety of Fortran API fixes.
- Build the Fortran MPI API as a separate library to allow these
functions to be profiled properly.
- Add new --enable-mpirun-prefix-by-default configure option to always
imply the --prefix option to mpirun, preventing many rsh/ssh-based
users from needing to modify their shell startup files.
- Add a number of missing constants in the C++ bindings.
- Added tight integration with Sun N1 Grid Engine (N1GE) 6 and the
open source Grid Engine.
- Allow building the F90 MPI bindings as shared libraries for most
compilers / platforms. Explicitly disallow building the F90
bindings as shared libraries on OS X because of complicated
situations with Fortran common blocks and lack of support for
unresolved common symbols in shared libraries.
- Added stacktrace support for Solaris and Mac OS X.
- Update event library to libevent-1.1b.
- Fixed standards conformance issues with MPI_ERR_TRUNCATED and
setting MPI_ERROR during MPI_TEST/MPI_WAIT.
- Addition of "cm" PML to better support library-level matching
interconnects, with support for Myrinet/MX, and QLogic PSM-based
- Addition of "udapl" BTL for transport across uDAPL interconnects.
- Really check that the $CXX given to configure is a C++ compiler
(not a C compiler that "sorta works" as a C++ compiler).
- Properly check for local host only addresses properly, looking
for 127.0.0.0/8, rather than just 127.0.0.1.
- Implement MPI_TYPE_CREATE_DARRAY function.
- Fix race condition in shared memory BTL startup that could cause MPI
applications to hang in MPI_INIT.
- Fix syntax error in a corner case of the event library. Thanks to
Bert Wesarg for pointing this out.
- Add new MCA parameter (mpi_preconnect_oob) for pre-connecting the
"out of band" channels between all MPI processes. Most helpful for
MPI applications over InfiniBand where process A sends an initial
message to process B, but process B does not enter the MPI library
for a long time.
- Fix for a race condition in shared memory locking semantics.
- Add major, minor, and release version number of Open MPI to mpi.h.
Thanks to Martin Audet for the suggestion.
- Fix the "restrict" compiler check in configure.
- Fix a problem with argument checking in MPI_TYPE_CREATE_SUBARRAY.
- Fix a problem with compiling the XGrid components with non-gcc
- Fixed 64-bit alignment issues with TCP interface detection on
intel-based OS X machines.
- Adjusted TCP interface selection to automatically ignore Linux
channel-bonded slave interfaces.
- Fixed the type of the first parameter to the MPI F90 binding for
MPI_INITIALIZED. Thanks to Tim Campbell for pointing out the
- Fix a bunch of places in the Fortran MPI bindings where (MPI_Fint*)
was mistakenly being used instead of (MPI_Aint*).
- Fixes for fortran MPI_STARTALL, which could sometimes return
incorrect request values. Thanks to Tim Campbell for pointing out
- Include both pre- and post-MPI-2 errata bindings for
- Fix math error on Intel OS X platforms that would greatly increase
shared memory latency.
- Fix type casting issue with MPI_ERRCODES_IGNORE that would cause
errors when using a C++ compiler. Thanks to Barry Smith for
bringing this to our attention.
- Fix possible segmentation fault during shutdown when using the
- Remove the "hierarch" coll component; it was not intended to be
included in stable releases yet.
- Fix a race condition with stdout/stderr not appearing properly from
all processes upon termination of an MPI job.
- Fix internal accounting errors with the self BTL.
- Fix typos in the code path for when sizeof(int) != sizeof(INTEGER)
in the MPI F77 bindings functions. Thanks to Pierre-Matthieu
Anglade for bringing this problem to our attention.
- Fix for a memory leak in the derived datatype function
ompi_ddt_duplicate(). Thanks to Andreas Schafer for reporting,
diagnosing, and patching the leak.
- Used better performing basic algorithm for MPI_ALLGATHERV.
- Added a workaround for a bug in the Intel 9.1 C++ compiler (all
versions up to and including 20060925) in the MPI C++ bindings that
caused run-time failures. Thanks to Scott Weitzenkamp for reporting
- Fix MPI_SIZEOF implementation in the F90 bindings for COMPLEX
- Fixes for persistent requests involving MPI_PROC_NULL. Thanks to
Lisandro Dalcin for reporting the problem.
- Fixes to MPI_TEST* and MPI_WAIT* for proper MPI exception reporting.
Thanks to Lisandro Dalcin for finding the issue.
- Various fixes for MPI generalized request handling; addition of
missing MPI::Grequest functionality to the C++ bindings.
- Add "mpi_preconnect_all" MCA parameter to force wireup of all MPI
connections during MPI_INIT (vs. making connections lazily whenever
the first MPI communication occurs between a pair of peers).
- Fix a problem for when $FC and/or $F77 were specified as multiple
tokens. Thanks to Orion Poplawski for identifying the problem and
to Ralf Wildenhues for suggesting the fix.
- Fix several MPI_*ERRHANDLER* functions and MPI_GROUP_TRANSLATE_RANKS
with respect to what arguments they allowed and the behavior that
they effected. Thanks to Lisandro Dalcin for reporting the
- Really fix Fortran status handling in MPI_WAITSOME and MPI_TESTSOME.
- Various datatype fixes, reported by several users as causing
failures in the BLACS testing suite. Thanks to Harald Forbert, Ake
Sandgren and, Michael Kluskens for reporting the problem.
- Correctness and performance fixes for heterogeneous environments.
- Fixed a error in command line parsing on some platforms (causing
mpirun to crash without doing anything).
- Fix for initialization hangs on 64 bit Mac OS X PowerPC systems.
- Fixed some memory allocation problems in mpirun that could cause
random problems if "-np" was not specified on the command line.
- Add Kerberos authentication support for XGrid.
- Added LoadLeveler support for jobs larger than 128 tasks.
- Fix for large-sized Fortran LOGICAL datatypes.
- Fix various error checking in MPI_INFO_GET_NTHKEY and
MPI_GROUP_TRANSLATE_RANKS, and some collective operations
(particularly with regards to MPI_IN_PLACE). Thanks to Lisandro
Dalcin for reporting the problems.
- Fix receiving messages to buffers allocated by MPI_ALLOC_MEM.
- Fix a number of race conditions with the MPI-2 Onesided
- Fix the "tuned" collective componenete where some cases where
MPI_BCAST could hang.
- Update TCP support to support non-uniform TCP environments.
- Allow the "poe" RAS component to be built on AIX or Linux.
- Only install mpif.h if the rest of the Fortran bindings are
- Fixes for BProc node selection.
- Add some missing Fortran MPI-2 IO constants.
- Fix for Fortran string handling in various MPI API functions.
- Fix for Fortran status handling in MPI_WAITSOME and MPI_TESTSOME.
- Various fixes for the XL compilers.
- Automatically disable using mallot() on AIX.
- Memory fixes for 64 bit platforms with registering MCA parameters in
the self and MX BTL components.
- Fixes for BProc to support oversubscription and changes to the
mapping algorithm so that mapping processes "by slot" works as
- Fixes for various abort cases to not hang and clean up nicely.
- If using the Intel 9.0 v20051201 compiler on an IA64 platform, the
ptmalloc2 memory manager component will automatically disable
itself. Other versions of the Intel compiler on this platform seem
to work fine (e.g., 9.1).
- Added "host" MPI_Info key to MPI_COMM_SPAWN and
- Add missing C++ methods: MPI::Datatype::Create_indexed_block,
- Fix OSX linker issue with Fortran bindings.
- Fixed MPI_COMM_SPAWN to start spawning new processes in slots that
(according to Open MPI) are not already in use.
- Added capability to "mpirun a.out" (without specifying -np) that
will run on all currently-allocated resources (e.g., within a batch
job such as SLURM, Torque, etc.).
- Fix a bug with one particular case of MPI_BCAST. Thanks to Doug
Gregor for identifying the problem.
- Ensure that the shared memory mapped file is only created when there
is more than one process on a node.
- Fixed problems with BProc stdin forwarding.
- Fixed problem with MPI_TYPE_INDEXED datatypes. Thanks to Yven
Fournier for identifying this problem.
- Fix some thread safety issues in MPI attributes and the openib BTL.
- Fix the BProc allocator to not potentially use the same resources
across multiple ORTE universes.
- Fix gm resource leak.
- More latency reduction throughout the code base.
- Make the TM PLS (PBS Pro, Torque, Open PBS) more scalable, and fix
some latent bugs that crept in v1.1. Thanks to the Thunderbird crew
at Sandia National Laboratories and Martin Schaffoner for access to
testing facilities to make this happen.
- Added new command line options to mpirun:
--nolocal: Do not run any MPI processes on the same node as mpirun
(compatibility with the OSC mpiexec launcher)
--nooversubscribe: Abort if the number of processes requested would
--quiet / -q: do not show spurious status messages
--version / -V: show the version of Open MPI
- Fix bus error in XGrid process starter. Thanks to Frank from the
Open MPI user's list for identifying the problem.
- Fix data size mismatches that caused memory errors on PPC64
platforms during the startup of the openib BTL.
- Allow propagation of SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 signals from mpirun to
back-end MPI processes.
- Add missing MPI::Is_finalized() function.
- Various MPI datatype fixes, optimizations.
- Fixed various problems on the SPARC architecture (e.g., not
correctly aligning addresses within structs).
- Improvements in various run-time error messages to be more clear
about what they mean and where the errors are occurring.
- Various fixes to mpirun's handling of --prefix.
- Updates and fixes for Cray/Red Storm support.
- Major improvements to the Fortran 90 MPI bindings:
- General improvements in compile/linking time and portability
between different F90 compilers.
- Addition of "trivial", "small" (the default), and "medium"
Fortran 90 MPI module sizes (v1.0.x's F90 module was
equivalent to "medium"). See the README file for more
- Fix various MPI F90 interface functions and constant types to
match. Thanks to Michael Kluskens for pointing out the problems
- Allow short messagees to use RDMA (vs. send/receive semantics) to a
limited number peers in both the mvapi and openib BTL components.
This reduces communication latency over IB channels.
- Numerous performance improvements throughout the entire code base.
- Many minor threading fixes.
- Add a define OMPI_SKIP_CXX to allow the user to skip the mpicxx.h from
being included in mpi.h. It allows the user to compile C code with a CXX
compiler without including the CXX bindings.
- PERUSE support has been added. In order to activate it add
--enable-peruse to the configure options. All events described in
the PERUSE 2.0 draft are supported, plus one Open MPI
extension. PERUSE_COMM_REQ_XFER_CONTINUE allow to see how the data
is segmented internally, using multiple interfaces or the pipeline
engine. However, this version only support one event of each type
simultaneously attached to a communicator.
- Add support for running jobs in heterogeneous environments.
Currently supports environments with different endianness and
different representations of C++ bool and Fortran LOGICAL.
Mismatched sizes for other datatypes is not supported.
- Open MPI now includes an implementation of the MPI-2 One-Sided
- Open MPI is now configurable in cross-compilation environments.
Several Fortran 77 and Fortran 90 tests need to be pre-seeded with
results from a config.cache-like file.
- Add --debug option to mpirun to generically invoke a parallel debugger.
1.0.3 (unreleased; all fixes included in 1.1)
- Fix a problem noted by Chris Hennes where MPI_INFO_SET incorrectly
disallowed long values.
- Fix a problem in the launch system that could cause inconsistent
launch behavior, particularly when launching large jobs.
- Require that the openib BTL find <sysfs/libsysfs.h>. Thanks to Josh
Aune for the suggestion.
- Include updates to support the upcoming Autoconf 2.60 and Libtool
2.0. Thanks to Ralf Wildenhues for all the work!
- Fix bug with infinite loop in the "round robin" process mapper.
Thanks to Paul Donohue for reporting the problem.
- Enusre that memory hooks are removed properly during MPI_FINALIZE.
Thanks to Neil Ludban for reporting the problem.
- Various fixes to the included support for ROMIO.
- Fix to ensure that MPI_LONG_LONG and MPI_LONG_LONG_INT are actually
synonyms, as defined by the MPI standard. Thanks to Martin Audet
for reporting this.
- Fix Fortran 90 configure tests to properly utilize LDFLAGS and LIBS.
Thanks to Terry Reeves for reporting the problem.
- Fix shared memory progression in asynchronous progress scenarios.
Thanks to Mykael Bouquey for reporting the problem.
- Fixed back-end operations for predefined MPI_PROD for some
datatypes. Thanks to Bert Wesarg for reporting this.
- Adapted configure to be able to handle Torque 2.1.0p0's (and above)
new library name. Thanks to Brock Palen for pointing this out and
providing access to a Torque 2.1.0p0 cluster to test with.
- Fixed situation where mpirun could set a shell pipeline's stdout
to non-blocking, causing the shell pipeline to prematurely fail.
Thanks to Darrell Kresge for figuring out what was happening.
- Fixed problems with leave_pinned that could cause Badness with the
- Fixed problems with MPI_FILE_OPEN and non-blocking MPI-2 IO access.
- Fixed various InfiniBand port matching issues during startup.
Thanks to Scott Weitzenkamp for identifying these problems.
- Fixed various configure, build and run-time issues with ROMIO.
Thanks to Dries Kimpe for bringing them to our attention.
- Fixed error in MPI_COMM_SPLIT when dealing with intercommunicators.
Thanks to Bert Wesarg for identifying the problem.
- Fixed backwards handling of "high" parameter in MPI_INTERCOMM_MERGE.
Thanks to Michael Kluskens for pointing this out to us.
- Fixed improper handling of string arguments in Fortran bindings
for MPI-IO functionality
- Fixed segmentation fault with 64 bit applications on Solaris when
using the shared memory transports.
- Fixed MPI_COMM_SELF attributes to free properly at the beginning of
MPI_FINALIZE. Thanks to Martin Audet for bringing this to our
- Fixed alignment tests for cross-compiling to not cause errors with
recent versions of GCC.
- Fixed assembly race condition on AMD64 platforms.
- Fixed residual .TRUE. issue with copying MPI attributes set from
- Remove unnecessary logic from Solaris pty I/O forwarding. Thanks to
Francoise Roch for bringing this to our attention.
- Fixed error when count = 0 was given for multiple completion MPI
functions (MPI_TESTSOME, MPI_TESTANY, MPI_TESTALL, MPI_WAITSOME,
- Better handling in MPI_ABORT for when peer processes have already
died, especially under some resource managers.
- Random updates to README file, to include notes about the Portland
- Random, small threading fixes to prevent deadlock.
- Fixed a problem with handling long mpirun app files. Thanks to Ravi
Manumachu for identifying the problem.
- Fix handling of strings in several of the Fortran 77 bindings.
- Fix LinuxPPC assembly issues. Thanks to Julian Seward for reporting
- Enable pty support for standard I/O forwarding on platforms that
have ptys but do not have openpty(). Thanks to Pierre Valiron for
bringing this to our attention.
- Disable inline assembly for PGI compilers to avoid compiler errors.
Thanks to Troy Telford for bringing this to our attention.
- Added MPI_UNSIGNED_CHAR and MPI_SIGNED_CHAR to the allowed reduction
- Fix a segv in variable-length message displays on Opterons running
Solaris. Thanks to Pierre Valiron for reporting the issue.
- Added MPI_BOOL to the intrinsic reduction operations MPI_LAND,
MPI_LOR, MPI_LXOR. Thanks to Andy Selle for pointing this out to us.
- Fixed TCP BTL network matching logic during MPI_INIT; in some cases
on multi-NIC nodes, a NIC could get paired with a NIC on another
network (typically resulting in deadlock). Thanks to Ken Mighell
for pointing this out to us.
- Change the behavior of orterun (mpirun, mpirexec) to search for
argv and the cwd on the target node (i.e., the node where the
executable will be running in all systems except BProc, where the
searches are run on the node where orterun is invoked).
- Fix race condition in shared memory transport that could cause
crashes on machines with weak memory consistency models (including
- Fix warnings about setting read-only MCA parameters on bproc systems.
- Change the exit status set by mpirun when an application process is
killed by a signal. The exit status is now set to signo + 128, which
conforms with the behavior of (almost) all shells.
- Correct a datatype problem with the convertor when partially
unpacking data. Now we can position the convertor to any position
not only on the predefined types boundaries. Thanks to Yvan Fournier
for reporting this to us.
- Fix a number of standard I/O forwarding issues, including the
ability to background mpirun and a loss of data issue when
redirecting mpirun's standard input from a file.
- Fixed bug in ompi_info where rcache and bml MCA parameters would not
- Fixed umask issues in the session directory. Thanks to Glenn Morris
for reporting this to us.
- Fixed tcsh-based LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues with --prefix. Thanks to
Glen Morris for identifying the problem and suggesting the fix.
- Removed extraneous \n's when setting PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the
rsh startup. Thanks to Glen Morris for finding these typos.
- Fixed missing constants in MPI C++ bindings.
- Fixed some errors caused by threading issues.
- Fixed openib BTL flow control logic to not overrun the number of
send wqes available.
- Update to match newest OpenIB user-level library API. Thanks to
Roland Dreier for submitting this patch.
- Report errors properly when failing to register memory in the openib
- Reduce memory footprint of openib BTL.
- Fix parsing problem with mpirun's "-tv" switch. Thanks to Chris
Gottbrath for supplying the fix.
- Fix Darwin net/if.h configure warning.
- The GNU assembler unbelievably defaults to making stacks executable.
So when using gas, add flags to explicitly tell it to not make
stacks executable (lame but necessary).
- Add missing MPI::Request::Get_status() methods. Thanks to Bill
Saphir for pointing this out to us.
- Improved error messages on memory registration errors (e.g., when
using high-speed networks).
- Open IB support now checks firmware for how many outstanding RDMA
requests are supported. Thanks to Mellanox for pointing this out to
- Enable printing of stack traces in MPI processes upon SIGBUS,
SIGSEGV, and SIGFPE if the platform supports it.
- Fixed F90 compilation support for the Lahey compiler.
- Fixed issues with ROMIO shared library support.
- Fixed internal accounting problems with rsh support.
- Update to GNU Libtool 1.5.22.
- Fix error in configure script when setting CCAS to ias (the Intel
- Added missing MPI::Intercomm collectives.
- Fixed MPI_IN_PLACE handling for Fortran collectives.
- Fixed some more C++ const_cast<> issues. Thanks for Martin Audet
(again) for bringing this to our attention.
- Updated ROMIO with the version from MPICH 1.2.7p1, marked as version
- Fixes for some cases where the use of MPI_BOTTOM could cause
- Properly handle the case where an mVAPI does not have shared receive
queue support (such as the one shipped by SilverStorm / Infinicon
for OS X).
- Fixed assembly on Solaris AMD platforms. Thanks to Pierre Valiron
for bringing this to our attention.
- Fixed long messages in the send-to-self case.
- Ensure that when the "leave_pinned" option is used, the memory hooks
are also enabled. Thanks to Gleb Natapov for pointing this out.
- Fixed compile errors for IRIX.
- Allow hostfiles to have integer host names (for BProc clusters).
- Fixed a problem with message matching of out-of-order fragments in
multiple network device scenarios.
- Converted all the C++ MPI bindings to use proper const_cast<>'s
instead of old C-style casts to get rid of const-ness. Thanks to
Martin Audet for raising the issue with us.
- Converted MPI_Offset to be a typedef instead of a #define because it
causes problems for some C++ parsers. Thanks to Martin Audet for
bringing this to our attention.
- Improved latency of TCP BTL.
- Fixed index value in MPI_TESTANY to be MPI_UNDEFINED if some
requests were not MPI_REQUEST_NULL, but no requests finished.
- Fixed several Fortran MPI API implementations that incorrectly used
integers instead of logicals or address-sized integers.
- Fix so that Open MPI correctly handles the Fortran value for .TRUE.,
regardless of what the Fortran compiler's value for .TRUE. is.
- Improved scalability of MX startup.
- Fix datatype offset handling in the coll basic component's
- Fix EOF handling on stdin.
- Fix missing MPI_F_STATUS_IGNORE and MPI_F_STATUSES_IGNORE
instanatiations. Thanks to Anthony Chan for pointing this out.
- Add a missing value for MPI_WIN_NULL in mpif.h.
- Bring over some fixes for the sm btl that somehow didn't make it
over from the trunk before v1.0. Thanks to Beth Tibbitts and Bill
Chung for helping identify this issue.
- Bring over some fixes for the iof that somehow didn't make it over
from the trunk before v1.0.
- Fix for --with-wrapper-ldflags handling. Thanks to Dries Kimpe for
pointing this out to us.
Initial public release.