Excel tables exported from Access can't read Date/Time types

Issue #241 resolved
Tom Faris created an issue

Seems to be an issue with .xlsx exported from MS Access 2007 with Date/Time fields.

I've attached a sample table that replicates the problem. The table was exported with default options, using .xlsx format, nothing checked. I've noticed a few issues.

  • Column detection appears to stop after the Date/Time column. Worksheet.get_highest_column should be 6 in the case, but returns 5. The number of rows is correct.
  • The entire first row has None values
  • The only columns with values that return not None are the first column, and the Date/Time column. The rest return None, even though there is data in the sheet.
>>> wb = openpyxl.load_workbook(filename=r'Table1.xlsx')
>>> wb.worksheets[0].get_highest_column()
>>> print wb.worksheets[0].rows[2][1].value

If I open the workbook in Excel and save it from there, everything works with no problems, so it looks like Access is doing something unexpected.

Comments (2)

  1. Tom Faris reporter

    Looks like it's to do with a difference between the xml generated from Access and Excel (xml_source in the code).

    The Access-generated xml seems like it has a different structure for "inlineStr" type. Instead of a


    structure, it's:

  2. Log in to comment